IGNORED

Legalize Computer Audio!

I think the visiting Aussies are more concerned about England currently smashing them in the Ashes, rather than whether they can use iTunes legally there or not.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The Redcoats are coming for your music collection!

Using iTunes is now illegal under UK copyright law - News - Music - The Independent

Somehow, I doubt that law enforcement in the U.K. has changed its priorities from combating terrorism and traditional crime to going after copyright violation by ripping to iTunes as a result.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

This is the result of legislation struggling to keep up with the changing technical world.

There is a legal issue here that needs to be addressed but until then this will remain an unenforceable piece of legislation. It effectively makes large parts of the computer audio industry illegal. But can you really imagine everyone who has a ripped CD on their iPod being even questioned, let alone prosecuted. Crazy.....

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

But can you really imagine everyone who has a ripped CD on their iPod being even questioned, let alone prosecuted. Crazy.....

Perhaps it's due to the weather over there ? Rain, sleet, snow and drinking warm beer ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Perhaps it's due to the weather over there ? Rain, sleet, snow and drinking warm beer ?

Nahhh! Sun, warmth and winning cricket Alex :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Nahhh! Sun, warmth and winning cricket Alex :-)

Do you watch Cricket ? I would rather watch grass grow or paint dry !

Your weather must be a lot better than in Scotland .where a friend of mine is suffering depression due to lack of sun, and when the sun does finally come out, having to fight off annoying little insects called Midges.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Your weather must be a lot better than in Scotland .where a friend of mine is suffering depression due to lack of sun, and when the sun does finally come out, having to fight off annoying little insects called Midges.

Our weather is ... Erm ... Colourful ...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Amazing how losing promotes such disinterest. Bet you weren't watching that paint dry when the boot was on the other foot!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Amazing how losing promotes such disinterest. Bet you weren't watching that paint dry when the boot was on the other foot!

The only time I watch cricket, whether Australia is winning or losing, is on the evening TV news. At least on the evening news, there aren't the endless repeats of every little thing that happens now and then, the annoying commentary, or endless useless statistics.

Not you're typical Aussie, it seems. Well now you don't even have to watch the next sport's bulletin as you already know the news. It's not all doom & gloom, since you can take some comfort from the Wallabies beating the All Blacks, if Rugby Union is more you're thing.

-- Jo Cox

When I lived in Cambridge, we would watch American football on TV. It was compressed into exactly one hour. No inter-play chit-chat, no half-time, no commercials, no NAD M51 scratching on TV for everyone to see. Just the game action. It was the only time I found watching that sport tolerable.

Our weather is ... Erm ... Colourful ...

In the autumn especially, your weather is extremely ... Erm ... Variable. When it starts out sunny, and you have walked too far to return for the brolly you should have taken with you, it will virtually always start to rain. And Alex, if you choose lager (considered a sin by many), it's cold.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Certainly risk the wrath of the rain gods at any time of the year. It was sunny, +26°C, ten minutes ago - put the washing out and surprise surprise, it's suddenly clouded over.

-- Jo Cox

Certainly risk the wrath of the rain gods at any time of the year. It was sunny, +26°C, ten minutes ago - put the washing out and surprise surprise, it's suddenly clouded over.

Well here had a lovely 11mile walk with not a spot of rain and barely a cloud t blot out the sun!

Eloise

---

Well here had a lovely 11mile walk with not a spot of rain and barely a cloud t blot out the sun!

This is the Sydney 7 day forecast. It's still WINTER here !

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat

Summary

Mostly sunny Sunny Sunny Possible shower Mostly sunny Sunny Possible shower

Minimum

8° 9° 9° 8° 8° 8° 9°

Maximum

18° 21° 19° 18° 17° 18° 18°

Chance of rain

40% 5% 30% 40% 50% 20% 80%

Likely amount

< 1mm < 1mm < 1mm < 1mm 1-5mm < 1mm < 1mm

Hahn but sandy, what is a typical 7 day forecast for Sidney in the summer? What are average temperatures without air conditioning. You see UK is a country you can live in year round - too hot depresses (at least me) just as much if not more than too cold!

Eloise

---

Eloise

Surprisingly, last summer Sydney had fewer very hot days, with only a few reaching 40C, although the trend was still a couple of degrees above average . Although Air Conditioning is nice, it's expensive to run these days, and we only felt the need to use it about a dozen times last summer for several hours each time. You would probably need to spend far more for clothes drying alone,than we spend on Air Conditioning in summer and heating in winter ?

Recently though, we had the Anzac Bridge not far from the centre of the City,

closed for a couple of hours one morning due to being iced over. This hasn't happened before since being opened in 1995

BTW, I wouldn't want to be living in Pommy Land if this happens !

A 'mini ice age' is coming in the next 15 years - ScienceAlert

Alex

Mmmm, cricket...

Provincial or test cricket (3 to 5 day matches).

Listened to on the radio, not watched on the TV.

It's the ideal accompaniment to all summer leisure activities, and I stress the "leisure".

Out on the lawn with a deckchair and sun umbrella, cooler of beer, a good book and the radio.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Hahn but sandy, what is a typical 7 day forecast for Sidney in the summer? What are average temperatures without air conditioning. You see UK is a country you can live in year round - too hot depresses (at least me) just as much if not more than too cold!

Eloise, you are more than welcome to come visit here, but I recommend a winter visit:

Last week we had highs of between 45-48 Centigrade every day; this week we are at "normal" summer heat: 42 Centigrade (Americans: 42 C = 108F; 48C=118F). At least the humidity is low...

December and January on the other hand rarely go below 5C, and daytime high tends to be about 15-20C.

But to each his/her own: I prefer the weather here to what I've experienced during several visits to the UK during various seasons.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Delightful, Eloise, but hardly typical. :)