IGNORED

Question About Playback Delay

When I start to play back music on the computer there is a 1/4 to 1/2 second delay during which time the music fades in. This happens whether I'm streaming music in Tidal, Spotify, etc. or if I'm playing stored music on Foobar, JRiver, etc. I looked on the FAQ to see if that is a common problem but couldn't find anything. If anyone tell me what to do to troubleshoot this it would be much appreciated. This system is a computer that is 5 or 6 years old running Windows 7 and my computer literacy would be classified very basic. Thanks in advance!

I can't think of anything which would affect everything you play ... but you might like to list your system as there maybe something in that.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I can't think of anything which would affect everything you play ... but you might like to list your system as there maybe something in that.

Well I can't think of worrying about half a second, I couldn't even time it, let alone a quarter!lol.

To the OP, enjoy your life and your music.

Ronnie.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies (and the welcome :) ). The system is an E-machines computer (not the best, I know). It's running Windows 7 home premium at 64 bits. The processor is a Pentium E5300 - it doesn't list the speed. It has 4G of DDR2 memory. I use ASIO on the Tidal, Spotify, Foobar & JRiver apps. The DAC is an iFi iDSD Micro. Further down the chain, where it wouldn't effect the playback problem, is a Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated amp pushing JSE Infinite Slope speakers, either model .6's or model 2's.

Yeah, I should just let it go but when I call up something to play & it misses that first part of the song & fades in at the previously described time it just annoys the livin' crap out of me & I end up having to drag the bar back again so I can hear it back from the true beginning.

Thanks again.

Ah! Ben, that explains your problem much better. I can understand the annoyance.

If the problem is present on both foobar and JRiver it does seem to suggest a 'ghost in the machine'.

Has there recently been a software or harware upgrade for the iFi Micro, I would look there first.

Do you have another DAC available for comparison purposes?

Good Luck

Ronnie

From the ifi web site, re driver

This V2.23.0 driver update contains improvements and bug fixes, including: • Improvements

1. Stream startup optimized to reduce startup latency. Startup delay is reduced from ~100ms to ~20ms

2. DFU GUI utility: status output revised, improved support for resizeable dialog, another firmware upgrade now requires to restart the application, ESC key doesn’t close the application
  3. Subdevice creation is more generic now: a subdevice will be created for any IAD or interface that is not claimed by Audio, MIDI, DFU
  4. Stream formats (alternate settings) parsing is more flexible now. PCM and RAW/DSD formats can be placed in any order

Thanks for the replies. I did pull out the AUNE T1 & tried it. Lo and behold the delay wasn't there! I updated the driver on the micro. The delay isn't as bad but it's still there. I tried updating the firmware but got the error message that I didn't have the proper program to run that. What program should I be looking for to run the firmware update? Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. I dug out the AUNE T1 & lo & behold the delay wasn't there! I updated the drivers for the micro after that. The problem isn't as bad but it's still there nonetheless. I'm using the USB input. I tried updating the firmware but got the error message saying I don't have the proper program to run that. What program should I look for to do the firmware update? At least it's a step closer now. Thanks again!