IGNORED

Audirvana filter setting question

All,

I must admit that I do not entirely understand the difference between the following filter settings on various DACs. These are: linear, minimum, steep. My second question is --can the SRC setting in audirvana be set to corresponding to each of these filter options? I'd like to sample the various settings.

Thanks

tom

This is definitely worth experimenting with. (I think getting the filters tuned in made a greater increase in system "realism" than almost any other change I've made.) Damien's explanation of the settings on page 32 of the manual is a great place to start, and there have been several threads about preferred filter settings in A+. Part of the strength of software like A+ is that it allows you to upsample before sending data to the DAC chip, potentially bypassing some of the filters that are built into the chip. Try searching in the software forum for one of the threads there.

All,

I must admit that I do not entirely understand the difference between the following filter settings on various DACs. These are: linear, minimum, steep. My second question is --can the SRC setting in audirvana be set to corresponding to each of these filter options? I'd like to sample the various settings.

Thanks

tom

Linear = linear phase, equivalent to a pre-ringing setting of 1.00 in Audirvana's SRC.

Minimum = minimum phase, equivalent to a setting on the lower end of the Audirvana SRC pre-ringing slider.

Steep = High settings for steepness in the Audirvana SRC.

If you do a search there's a huge iZotope SRC thread (the SRC bundled with Audirvana Plus, and what you are adjusting the oversampling settings for) here on the Forum. Blog post and comments here may also be helpful: Semi-Customized DAC, Part IV: Photos and Filters - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've had fun this past few days tweaking my iZotope settings. It's been some months since I have. With Regen and the sound improvements from A+2.2, it was easier than ever to hear differences in settings. I've ended with very different settings from what I had previously (eg. Steepness going from 57 up to 125).

I have been curious as to curious to know what iZotope settings others with Sabre chops may be using... but it seems that the DAC is far from the only variable here... But humour me all the same ?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Earlier in the thread that Jud references the designer of iZotope comments. At one point he discusses the filter used in the Ayre DACs, describing the settings in iZotope that would be the closest. They were: Filter Steepness = 3; Cutoff Scaling = 1; pre-ringing = 0.

I thought these settings sounded very good on my ESS Dac. I experimented with these v more standard settings and also blind-tested my (I am tempted to call him "golden-eared") teenage, music-loving son. He consistently preferred the above settings as well. Since then I have left them there and stopped thinking about it.

The impulse responses and frequency responses posted in the thread are very interesting.

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

Thanks Bill - I'll give them a whirl!

I was using a sharp steepness for a long time (7)... then moved out to 57... now I'm all the way out to 125 (such a steepness was horribly muddy a year ago...).

I will have to chase up that site that allowed you to model what different settings did... With the new A+ build, tuning iZotope has never been so rewarding.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

How is this done in A+ "upsample before sending data to the DAC chip"

Select "Forced upsampling" in the A+ preferences.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks Jud, I'm very new at all this. My DAC is the ifi nano thru a MacPro into B&K Reference Preamp, Power amp 225w rms and Paradigm 100 spkr's. I tried the different setting in forced up sampleing and found the default custom to have more 'imagining". Before I jump into changing the default's where would I start?

You're welcome. Have fun!

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

I'm very new at all this. My DAC is the ifi nano thru a MacPro into B&K Reference Preamp, Power amp 225w rms and Paradigm 100 spkr's. I tried the different setting in forced up sampleing and found the default custom to have more 'imagining". Before I jump into changing the default's where would I start?