IGNORED

Contemporary Piano Music

Thanks again. Enjoyed listening to this album earlier this evening.

Probably well known stateside, George Winston is a new discovery for me.

MI0001542007.jpg

I've been a big George Winston fan for many years, Nikhil. I'm glad you have discovered him. That December album is a longtime favorite. You would also likely enjoy Craig Urquhart. In particular, I can highly recommend his Secret Spaces cd.

JC

I don't know if Wim Mertens has been mentioned.

There's also Simeon Ten Holt.

I am a serious Wim Mertens fan, going way back to the two Windham Hill releases that helped me to discover him. Incredibly talented musician and composer capable of great emotional music. Although, with his use of voice(s) and overall style, I am not sure I would place him in the purely "contemporary piano music" category. But otherwise, I recommend him to anyone who loves great music.

JC

Thanks for the Wim Mertens info. Just looked up his "Struggle for Pleasure" Youtube and I really like it. Exhilarating ... the vocals at the end were a touch new age but overall great music.

Nikhil, if you are enjoying Wim Mertens, I would strongly recommend getting the two Windham Hill compilation cd's of his best early work, Close Cover, and Whisper Me. These are both filled with beautiful music, and still, surprisingly, inexpensively. These are two collections of music I never fail to marvel at.

JC

Nikhil,

Glad your intro to George Winston was enjoyable. He has a fairly large catalogue of well recoded albums, but seeing him live is fantastic.

Agreed. I had the great pleasure of seeing George twice in performances in Montana and Wyoming at high schools, to raise money for important causes.

JC

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2017 at 5:21 PM, sphinxsix said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, this particular album isn't available on Tidal, but a couple other ones by A Cerulean State, are, and I just listened to one. Very enjoyable. However, the one I listened to had some recording issues that were a bit irritating. 

I'll have to listen to the rest of what Tidal has available.

JC

Hello Nikhil,

I just searched under artists and entered "A Cerulean State" and Tidal came up with two or three albums. Check that you have the spelling correct. I'm just going to be as it's almost 2:30am here. But I will certainly be happy to get you individual album names tomorrow if still needed.

JC

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...