IGNORED

Imac-Cosecant-high end system & background at the same time

drambuie

I'm soon to pull the trigger on a computer server system consisting of an Imac- asynchronous usb Wavelength Cosecant. I want to be able to feed my dedicated music room high end system (atmasphere mp1-atmasphere ma1s-speltz autoformers-aerial accoustics 10ts) and a, to be added, multi room background system at the same time without degrading the quality of the music room system. Is this possible and how?

Easiest thing would be to use an AirPort Express for the background music system (I assume this is completely separate from the dedicated room?).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What player software do you plan to use?

If iTunes, you can easily route audio to multiple AEs and/or Apple TVs (as Airtunes client) from within iTunes - all or any combination thereof - on the fly (albeit with a slight pause while connections are made).

If not iTunes, Airfoil can do something similar by hijacking the system audio and routing it over Airtunes to Airport Express (& AppleTV) devices.

In either case, you'd also select 'computer' to route the audio to your Wavelength DAC.

Airfoil even allows separate volume controls per device.

clay

Drambuie,

Yea I would suggest and AE and use iTunes. When you have iTunes installed and running at the bottom right it will show computer. If you pull that down and select Multiple setting it will allow you to stream at your computer and selected AE.

Works pretty well so far... and you can easily disable this for serious listening.

Thanks

Gordon

What would work well pool-side? I was thinking of a Squeezebox Boom but didn't think that the Slimserver on my 2ch system would be good. I just hate to have to re rip all the music...suggestions?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Not sure what your setup is you're running, but is it possible you could run the SlimServer software on a NAS containing all your music?

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Well lots of options revolving around AirPort Express or AppleTV and a iPod Touch to control it. That way need no additional software on the MacMini.

All depends on how much you want to spend I guess.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Here's my suggestion for a poolside, or a highly portable inexpensive secondary system:

Audioengine A5 (powered speakers) with Airport Express. There's even an AC outlet in the back for the AE. You have decent level of sound and only one AC cord and one speaker cord to worry about.

Downsamples to 16/44.1kHz for transmission over Airtunes.

Don't have a pool, but I use exactly this configuration for portable sound.

clay

I was thinking something like that too.

I've a friend with a B&W Zeppelin they use with an AirPort Express that sounds great - but a little more than the $500.

Eloise

Eloise

---

The A5s are not as 'dear' as the Zeppelins. Seem almost indestructible, although I wouldn't leave them out in the rain, at least not intentionally. ;)

I use the smaller A2s in the bedroom, same setup. The A5s are typical black (or white, for you Eloise ) boxes with ports that sound exceptionally good for what they are, even good enough that Stereophile commented on them (the A2s, as I recall).

clay

clay said ... "The A5s are typical black (or white, for you Eloise) boxes" can I have them in cream with flowers painted on them instead?

Actually I like black HiFi ... just cause I'm a girl doesn't mean ...

Eloise

Eloise

---

"Apologies, I thought you'd made a comment in the last few days about preferring white?"

Maybe I did ... but I'm allowed to change my mind :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---