IGNORED

New DAC or wait?

I just purchased a new computer that uses the Windows 10 operating system. My DAC, Calyx 24/192, only operates up to Windows 8. Does anyone know if a Windows 10 upgrade is on the horizon? I tried to email Calyx to find out but got the message Delivery Status Notification (Failed). I like my DAC a lot but I need one that operates on Windows 10. Help!

Most Windows 10 computers should be able to use Windows 8 drivers for sound devices. When I upgraded my computer to Windows 10, the Peachtree X1 (also XMOS driver) didn't work either and it was a chore to re-install. I had to unplug the Peachtree, completely uninstall the sound driver from Device Manager. And then I had to launch Windows 10 with Driver Signature Verification disabled. And then I was able to plug the device back in, run the install program and then the sound driver works. I don't have the Calyx but that's probably what you should try first, especially considering it also uses an XMOS driver. You can google the details based on my above description.

That's very odd.

The computers here have been upgraded to Windows 10 and all of the DACs play just fine - in DSD and PCM modes. That includes all the way to DSD 256 Stereo (Lampizator DSD DAC) and DSD 256 Multichannel (exaSound e28). All of the portable DACs (iDSD Micro, Blue Coast UFO and Geek Out 1000) work fine as well with Windows 10 in Stereo DSD and PCM.

If the sound drivers are on the PC being upgraded, I didn't need to reinstall them for Windows 10. They just worked.

However, JRiver Media Center (version 20.0.132) needed to be reinstalled under Windows 10. When I tried to launch it under Windows 10 initially, it said it had been installed with an earlier version of Windows (true). Once reinstalled, JRiver also worked fine - DSD, PCM, Stereo and Multichannel.

You may want to try and reinstall your playback software and sound drivers under Windows 10 to see if that resolves the issue. if not, an email or call to Calyx is probably in order.

If it's anything like what I dealt with on the Schiit USB drivers and Server2012, it was not fun to get them loaded. The OS basically isn't listed in the driver installer's setup/config file so it may complain that the OS isn't supported. And what 2012 did to me was load a default driver that no matter what I did, it would always take precedence over the driver I was trying to manually install. If I remember right, I had to use the "Add Hardware" option from within Device Manager to get the drivers to install since Windows technically thought it was a new device. I was even trying to use the AO driver helper through service tool and no dice. Just my personal experience with a similar issue.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

When I try to install my DAC with its accompanying disc I get this message:

This setup cannot run on the current operating system.

Supported systems are:

Windows XP 32 and 64 bit

Windows Server 2003 32 and 64 bit

Windows Home Server 32 bit

Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit

Windows Server 2008 32 and 64 bit

Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

I guess that doesn't even include Windows 8. The computer I originally had my Calyx installed on used Vista and it ran perfectly. Windows 10 doesn't even recognize the Calyx in the hardware and sound section of the Control Panel.

I guess that doesn't even include Windows 8. The computer I originally had my Calyx installed on used Vista and it ran perfectly. Windows 10 doesn't even recognize the Calyx in the hardware and sound section of the Control Panel.

Time to contact Calyx and request a new driver.

Their design must be pretty unique since many other DACs support Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 as designed with earlier Windows drivers.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep the current DAC and get (for example) a mac mini? Another option might be to use a USB/Coax converter, which ideally would either use internal firmware (like the Halide Bridge), or at least have an up-to-date driver.

Time to contact Calyx and request a new driver.

Their design must be pretty unique since many other DACs support Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 as designed with earlier Windows drivers.

Maybe this will help (read to the end): How to Make Windows 7 Drivers Work on Windows 8/8.1 (INF Modding) - GetDriver

Theoretically, it if installs on Win8/8/1 it should install on Win10 (famous last words).

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

When I try to install my DAC with its accompanying disc I get this message:

This setup cannot run on the current operating system.

Supported systems are:

Windows XP 32 and 64 bit

Windows Server 2003 32 and 64 bit

Windows Home Server 32 bit

Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit

Windows Server 2008 32 and 64 bit

Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

Sure. But the Calyx website has a new driver that supposedly works for Windows 8. Have you tried downloading that first? Are you sure the driver for the CD is the same as the one downloadable online?

My Calyx DAC is (finally) hooked up to my new Windows 10 computer and the music is as sweet as before (if not sweeter). I downloaded the latest driver from Calyx's website (after several hours of trial and error). After that when I played my files (stored on an external hard drive) there were subtle but still annoying clicks and pops and I was really disgusted. I read on JRiver's forum where someone said the speed of the rip made a difference. So I ripped a Gospel Jazz CD and it came out perfect. Yeah, I've got my work cut out for me re-ripping hundreds of CD's but when the music sounds as good as it does, who cares. Thanks bunches to everyone for sharing insight I didn't have.

My Calyx DAC is (finally) hooked up to my new Windows 10 computer and the music is as sweet as before (if not sweeter). I downloaded the latest driver from Calyx's website (after several hours of trial and error). After that when I played my files (stored on an external hard drive) there were subtle but still annoying clicks and pops and I was really disgusted. I read on JRiver's forum where someone said the speed of the rip made a difference. So I ripped a Gospel Jazz CD and it came out perfect. Yeah, I've got my work cut out for me re-ripping hundreds of CD's but when the music sounds as good as it does, who cares. Thanks bunches to everyone for sharing insight I didn't have.

The speed of the rip has nothing to do with it as long as you use the accurate rip database to verify the correct data ripped. Even slow rips can have inaccurate data.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I have found with JRiver, clicks/pops and stuttering is removed by setting buffering to 25 milliseconds. This is the case on my HRT Streamer II+.

This is counter intuitive, because JRiver states that increasing buffering removes such pops and stuttering. But this was simply not true for the HRT. Perhaps the Calyx would benefit from this?

Also, in Jriver set the output to WASAPI not direct sound or kernel streaming. This is the only mode I found that makes the icon turn 'blue' i.e no processing of the sound output.