IGNORED

IDAGIO - For Classical Music Lovers

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

I sent IDAGIO a link to this thread. This is the reply I received:

Hi there,

thanks so much for giving IDAGIO a try and for your extensive feedback.
We highly appreciate your input and agree that your suggestions are important in order to improve IDAGIO.
Just some feedback on the points you mention:

1. Many of the tracks in our catalogue are currently connected to recordings. Since a recording might not have been released as an album necessarily, there are no artworks related to recordings. We are planning to integrate albums better in the future though and hope to be able to relate more tracks to albums and therefore also artworks.
  2. Albums appearing as playlists is indeed pretty confusing - I guess that you mainly see this on the Discover page, which is simply a technical thing that our backend team is trying to solve at the moment. We hope to be able to streamline this in the near future.
  3. You are right, a queue or waitlist has not been developed yet. However it is definitely plan to add this to our service in the future and I have marked your interest in this, so we can get back to you once we have more news about it.
  4. I have passed this on to our iOS developers since it sounds like a bug or error in our app design. Thank you for sharing this with us!

I hope those answers give you some ideas on what to expect from IDAGIO in the future. If you have any further ideas, questions or feedback, feel free to get in touch with us anytime.

Happy listening and best regards
Lukas

Thanks, that's very encouraging! After one year, I have cancelled my subscription to Qobuz (no replies to bug reports, absent technical service, ...) and I would not mind subscribing to Idagio but I still do not see obvious means of streaming Idagio contents to my renderers. I rely on upmpdcli as a renderer and on BubbleUPnP as a control point. I have sent the  BubbleUPnP developer a feature request for an Idagio interface (the app offers interfaces to Qobuz, Tidal, etc.) but I doubt that this will happen without some proactive support from Idagio. I could probably connect the optical S/PDIF output of a Chromecast Audio to my DAC but I am not sure this is a high quality solution. I guess I should try. Anyway, kudos to Idagio for what they have achieved in the last year. That was a huge step forwards!

9 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I don’t think that's necessary.  I tried searching "Beethoven piano sonata".  I got a list of works, i.e., each individual sonata.  I then selected one of them, nr. 26 (op. 81).  This yielded a list of 60 soloists on the left.  That's a lot!

However, a serious problem is that the recording date usually is not specified, but rather a copyright date, and the latter is often bizarrely unrelated to the recording date, including very recent copyright dates for performers who are deceased or retired.  This is especially confusing for artists who recorded the same work multiple times over there careers.

The problem is that most providers of streaming services use very poor indexing systems. I guess Idagio are moving in the right direction but having to search for works without a proper 'work' or 'composition' index is not very satisfactory. I have tagged all my music using, among others, 'composer', 'work', 'form', 'period', 'date', 'conductor' and 'ensemble' indexes. The entries in 'date' always denote the recording date. The entries in 'work' are also equipped with one or more dates. These describe when the work was composed and/or first performed. With MinimServer's intelligent browsing, it is very easy to select a composer, a work and then list the dates, the conductors, the ensembles and the performers of those recordings. I wish Idagio would implement a similar browsing engine for their databases. But, to be fair, even the search engine of the Digital Concert Hall is crap and they have been around for quite a while.  

• 1 month later...

After having cancelled my Qobuz Sublime subscription, I am now testing Idagio. I very much like the lean app but, as already pointed out, there are unacceptable limitations: streaming through a ChromeCast Audio connected via optical S/PDIF to a Naim DAC yields a sound quality that is by no means comparable to what I get from a DigiOne Signature connected via electrical S/PDIF (BNC-BNC) to the same DAC. Gapless replay does not appear to work which, especially for opera, is a deal breaker. Is Idagio working on these issue and when can we expect tangible improvements?