IGNORED

Fidelia 1.6.0

Melvin

There is no Izotope in the trial version (1.6). Do I have to purchase the advance version to get the option?

Yes, you do. Looks like many here like the Goodhertz converter, so if you like that, too, maybe you don't need iZotope? OTOH, if you don't have Fidelia Advanced, there's no way to compare iZotope vs. Goodhertz.

Personally, while I think Goodhertz sounds pretty nice, I can seem to get things more to my liking by fiddling with the iZotope parameters. (More research is needed here, since I'm basing this on listening via my office system.)

One thing I've always liked about Fidelia are the iZotope presets. For me, these provide a quick, easy way to get to the general ballpark for my settings, and then I can fine-tune from there — I wish Damien would implement something like this in A+. Some things I don't like: rudimentary library management, no support for DSF.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thanks, Orgel. I got the trial version to compare with A+. A few auditions I had time for, gave me the impression that Fidelia has a tad more detail and adds more space to the soundstage. Although one can tweak the A+ to do the same. I do wonder how it will fare for a longer listening sessions, since I think A+ does have a flatter response.

I was hoping to do some comparison with A+ and Fidelia's iZotope implementation and do some apple to apples evaluation. I am thinking about buying the license through the App store (I am on OS X), unless any of you think it might be better to buy the straight version. At least within App Store version I can do in App purchase and get the advance version that way.

I am not crazy about almost non existent library management and for some strange reason not all the titles added to the play lists in the iTunes show up in Fidelia, which is a real bummer. Oh and the file type is not displayed in the player.

All in all it seem that Goothertz SRC is worth considering.

Thanks, Orgel. I got the trial version to compare with A+. A few auditions I had time for, gave me the impression that Fidelia has a tad more detail and adds more space to the soundstage. Although one can tweak the A+ to do the same. I do wonder how it will fare for a longer listening sessions, since I think A+ does have a flatter response.

I was hoping to do some comparison with A+ and Fidelia's iZotope implementation and do some apple to apples evaluation. I am thinking about buying the license through the App store (I am on OS X), unless any of you think it might be better to buy the straight version. At least within App Store version I can do in App purchase and get the advance version that way.

I am not crazy about almost non existent library management and for some strange reason not all the titles added to the play lists in the iTunes show up in Fidelia, which is a real bummer. Oh and the file type is not displayed in the player.

All in all it seem that Goothertz SRC is worth considering.

Hello Blava,

My experience with Fidelia Advanced (long time user just not very often) 1.60 before and after enabling the Goodhertz converter was night and day as in Cole Porter's (you are the one). The differentiation was attention getting for me. I went from "uhmm?" to "aha!".

And thank you goldsdad. I am embarrassed to acknowledge that as with Blava's experience, I, too, was curious about the absence of format in the library view. It did not occur to me (as much experience as I have) to open view and change the default to display the format. Sometimes, I amaze myself.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I was hoping to do some comparison with A+ and Fidelia's iZotope implementation and do some apple to apples evaluation.

I think this is the best approach for the comparative evaluation. I haven't tried this with the newest version of Fidelia on my main system, but when I've done this in the past, (1) I noted that the iZotope parameters aren't exactly the same in A+ and Fidelia, and (2) that notwithstanding, when I made the settings as close as they could be, the two sounded quite similar (to my ears).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

I am embarrassed to acknowledge that as with Blava's experience, I, too, was curious about the absence of format in the library view. It did not occur to me (as much experience as I have) to open view and change the default to display the format. Sometimes, I amaze myself.

REShaman.

I do not think I was clear enough. In the transport on the right hand side are file details. Track length, file type, file size. At least for me in the trial version the file type is no showing, while as you pointed out in the library view Fidelia is aware of the file type. It's minor. Although sometimes it's crucial information to have at glance.

Anyhow. With quirks and couple of bugs I am still going to get the copy and play with it …

ivan

REShaman.

I do not think I was clear enough. In the transport on the right hand side are file details. Track length, file type, file size. At least for me in the trial version the file type is no showing, while as you pointed out in the library view Fidelia is aware of the file type. It's minor. Although sometimes it's crucial information to have at glance.

Anyhow. With quirks and couple of bugs I am still going to get the copy and play with it …

ivan

Hello Ivan,

I meant no other intention to merely point out that I myself was missing the information because I had not checked off in view mode the missing information. I certainly support you to trial the build and enjoy the music.

Best,

Richard

Hello Ivan,

I meant no other intention to merely point out that I myself was missing the information because I had not checked off in view mode the missing information. I certainly support you to trial the build and enjoy the music.

Best,

Richard

Richard.

No problem, no problem at all. I was just pointing out that while Fidealia is aware of the file type it is processing and you can certainly toggle this in the library view, it still does not show in the transport view no matter what I try.

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 11.29.42 PM.png

Here is something more interesting. Apparently there is no iZotope option for new users. I do not think I'll be able to compare with A+ after-all. Bummer. Bellow is a reply from the Audiofile Engineering Support.

ivan

Message History:

Corey Walo
- 13 Aug 2015, 04:48 PM

Hi Ivan,

I'm afraid that's a typo. The iZotope options are no longer available to new users.

Best,

Corey Walo

Support
|
Newsletter
|
Twitter
|
Facebook
|
Hightail Uplink

Ivan
- 11 Aug 2015, 04:26 PM

Yesterday I have downloaded trial version of Fidelia. The manual says that I can choose from at least 3 setting, including Izotope, Goodhertz and Apple. I do not see the Izotope. Is it not available any more?

Thanks.

ivan

Here is something more interesting. Apparently there is no iZotope option for new users. I do not think I'll be able to compare with A+ after-all. Bummer. Bellow is a reply from the Audiofile Engineering Support.

ivan

Message History:

Corey Walo
- 13 Aug 2015, 04:48 PM

Hi Ivan,

I'm afraid that's a typo. The iZotope options are no longer available to new users.

Best,

Corey Walo

Support
|
Newsletter
|
Twitter
|
Facebook
|
Hightail Uplink

Ivan
- 11 Aug 2015, 04:26 PM

Yesterday I have downloaded trial version of Fidelia. The manual says that I can choose from at least 3 setting, including Izotope, Goodhertz and Apple. I do not see the Izotope. Is it not available any more?

Thanks.

ivan

Well, I'm not really all that surprised. Back in a previous post (#9) I commented being surprised Izotope was still an option. It makes sense now that Audiofile Engineering is licensing Goodhertz. I wonder how long us "old" users get to keep Izotope?

Here is something more interesting. Apparently there is no iZotope option for new users. I do not think I'll be able to compare with A+ after-all. Bummer.

Wow! I'm really sorry if I steered you wrong — I had no idea this was the case. As an "old user" (in more ways than one) I can confirm that I still have iZotope as of v1.6.1.

Nothing whatsoever against GoodHertz, but I can't help but wonder if it's really that much better, or if Audiofile Engineering simply got a better licensing deal. One thing is that GoodHertz doesn't seem to be nearly as configurable as iZotope. It appears that with GoodHertz one just has a choice of linear phase or minimum phase.

--David

Richard.

No problem, no problem at all. I was just pointing out that while Fidealia is aware of the file type it is processing and you can certainly toggle this in the library view, it still does not show in the transport view no matter what I try.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20293[/ATTACH]

I misunderstood earlier. Yes, I see what you mean when playing an ALAC file. The file type does display on the player for FLAC, WAVE and AIFF, though.

Fidelia is also much slower at loading ALAC than other file types.

And it is also extremely processor hungry. Even when no track is playing, the processor will be heavily utilised in some relationship to the output rate when Goodhertz noise shaping is enabled. For example:

80% of a core for 192 kHz with noise shaping

25% of a core for 96 kHz with noise shaping

16% of a core for 48 kHz with noise shaping

15% of a core for 192 kHz without noise shaping

15% of a core for 96 kHz without noise shaping

Remember, that's when nothing is playing (or has even been loaded!). Other audio apps will idle at less than 0.1% even when "app nap" has not kicked in.

Installed 1.6.1. And noticed that of the four discs I just ripped several tracks from a multi-disc box set, Miles Davis At Newport, Bootleg Series, Volume 4, disc 3, for example are grayed out when I "visit" the iTunes Library. I have not investigated what this means, but I am mentioning it as the first "thing" I noticed about 1.6.1, which may have nothing to do with Fidelia. I noticed that in Preferences, the Bit was set to 8 and I reset it to 24, and Match Song from Don't change. Other settings were kept, e.g., Goodhertz converter.

I am listening to 1.6.1 playing Disc 1 of the Miles Davis at Newport box set. Very good. iZotope is still available as others have mentioned. Sorry Blava, if you are disappointed.

Back to the music,

Richard

My experience with Fidelia 1.6.1 is a bit confusing given what I am witnessing attempting to play one of the discs of a box set. Actually two of the discs were grayed out even though they play in iTunes or any other player. Something changed -- I haven't a clue as to what made that change, so that disc 3 suddenly became dynamic -- meaning Fidelia can play the tracks. But Disc 4 was still grayed out. Suddenly the last track in disc 4 became dynamic but not the preceding tracks in Disc 4. There's no logic to the operations I am witnessing. Additionally disc 3 would play in my other system, even though AMS selected was the main as well as in Fidelia's output section.

If I switch to another player, iTunes, Amarra Symphony, there are no issues. Perhaps, 1.6.1 has issues. Now I have them. Any logical attempts to correct are met with non-responses from Fidelia. Sudden changes that allow the track previously static (unplayable) to become active/dynamic are a mystery.

I shall send Fidelia's support team my feedback. I hope I am the only one with this mysterious behavior. (Smile).

Best,

Richard

Hey Now,

Nope you aren't, I am experiencing it after loading the latest version. Kind of sucks really, especially with 20k of song files and only about 10% show active. They all displayed before the upgrade.

I manually reloaded my Hi-Rez that did not become active and played a few songs with GoodHertz and it sounds very good.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

And it is also extremely processor hungry. Even when no track is playing, the processor will be heavily utilised in some relationship to the output rate when Goodhertz noise shaping is enabled. For example:

80% of a core for 192 kHz with noise shaping

25% of a core for 96 kHz with noise shaping

16% of a core for 48 kHz with noise shaping

15% of a core for 192 kHz without noise shaping

Remember, that's when nothing is playing (or has even been loaded!). Other audio apps will idle at less than 0.1% even when "app nap" has not kicked in.

I have noticed that compared with the other players the CPU usage is kind off high when sitting idle and doubles when process are running, but not nearly as high on my system. I am getting around 7% CPU usage on idle with double the results when playing.

This is with the dither enabled at 24 bit and noise shaping on high. This is for the Goodhertz of course, since i do not have access to iZotope.

ivan

I have not experience the "grayed out' tracks, but I was hoping that 1.6.1 will fix the problem with only partially displaying the number of tracks in my play lists from the iTunes library. If that would work I could forgo the almost non existing library manager …

ivan