IGNORED

Fidelia 1.6.0

Melvin

Audiofile Engineering has finally released an update for Fidelia and their remote app. Nothing groundbreaking. A new SRC algorithm by Goodhertz was added as another option and the headphone module (now Can Opener) was tweeked. More info about this company here: http://www.goodhertz.co

Both were a long time coming and many CA members moved on a long time ago. I continue to keep an eye (and ear) on them because, well, I still like the sound quality and also have a license. The addition of Goodhertz makes this update at least interesting as Audiofile Engineering incorporated it into their well-respected Triumph software back in April (me thinks).

Was this a free upgrade? It was my favorite Mac player before switching to Win8.

Audiofile Engineering has finally released an update for Fidelia and their remote app. Nothing groundbreaking. A new SRC algorithm by Goodhertz was added as another option and the headphone module (now Can Opener) was tweeked. More info about this company here: http://www.goodhertz.co

Both were a long time coming and many CA members moved on a long time ago. I continue to keep an eye (and ear) on them because, well, I still like the sound quality and also have a license. The addition of Goodhertz makes this update at least interesting as Audiofile Engineering incorporated it into their well-respected Triumph software back in April (me thinks).

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Yes. BTW, the Goodhertz addition sounds quite good (I had been using their latest beta with it also).

Hello Melvin,

Thank you for the head's up about the update. I saw that the remote was updated at MacUpdate.com. Did not think to check if the program was also updated. I haven't launched Fidelia for some time now. But I prefer to keep my programs up-to-date so that I can launch and enjoy the present build.

Best,

Richard

PS

Ooops! I misread the notice at MacUpdate. It refers to the program update afterall. Should have focused rather than skim briskly. Then realized that my iPad app hadn't updated so that sparked me to return and look closer. Thank you.

Just installed the update to 1.60. The install was, I thought, problematic, given a spinning beach ball when I clicked on install and relaunch. I closed the window and checked in Fidelia. The update was accomplished. Grateful.

Launched a new album to my collection, it's a redbook CD converted to AIFF by XLD. My Dac2 DSDse display reads 88.2 which was the last SR I played in another program. But my selection is playing at the correct SR given the sound is not distorted. The UI shows the proper specifications, but not my Dac's display. That's a first for any player. And, yes, the output specifies my Dac. Do not know what to make of this. The obvious would be to send support a note.

As for SQ, it's good and enjoyable but nowhere in the realm of Amarra Symphony, HQPlayer and roon. Enjoyable is nevertheless enjoyable. I am not complaining about Fidelia's 1.60. I also haven't futzed with any of the settings. Just wanted to listen to what I had already set in the previous build. Actually, I am getting used to the SQ. It's getting better in my assessment.

Curiously with the UpTone Audio components in the mix, where other players sound a little brighter, no so with Fidelia. I am playing Hamilton de Holanda album for the first time since Amazon delivered. And while I have not heard the album previously, it is well produced and rendered essentially to demonstrate it's a quality recording. Fidelia, in my opinion, is the word that comes to mind is essential as in uncolored, flat in a good way, and I thought the sound stage may be narrow but perhaps that is the recording not anything else.

I also engaged the Fidelia remote app and happy that it works which is a convenience for me. That minus plus controls on the remote do not do anything that I noticed. Mute/play works. My W4S Dac has a remote so I can regulate sound levels. Good enough. The remote is, however, pretty rudimentary.

Would I choose Fidelia again to play other albums? Given the SQ of Amarra Symphony w/iRC, and the show roon displays and Dirac Live enabled, TIDAL HIFI enabled, HQPlayer's SQ/DSD/unsampling, Fidelia is well, essential. Nice. Not a show-stopper. Does it have to be? Would I choose Fidelia next time? Wait and see. I may fool myself (or not).

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Oooops!

I overlooked a few things right off the bat. Don't Change was checked for Device Sample Rate. Odd for a default. One can set the SR to a specific SR. As soon as I checked "match...", the Dac displayed the correct SR. Sorry about my earlier confusion.

I also paid more attention to the settings this time, and changed the Converter to Goodfellas, aka, Goodhertz. Big difference. We're not in Kansas anymore. From essential flat narrow, Goodhertz just turned on the music, different animal all together. Serves up an extra helping of enjoyable. Much more dynamic, dimensional. Turns up everything. My compliments to Fidelia good fellas. Brighter too as in is that what the Regen accomplishes. I have been ruminating over this brighter sound with the Regen in the mix, the JS-2 LPS, MMK. Have explained to myself as listening to a system with UpTone Audio components for four years and now with those components, the SQ is different across the board with all the players I have available to play music. It is taking some "getting used to". For example, this Hamilton de Holanda album even in redbook CD just came alive in a good way. Decay is readily discernible. Depth of the instrument's voices more defined and fleshed out. Just using whatever descriptors come into my mind. May not mean anything to someone else's terminology to describe the SQ. I mean all of this in a favor context for SQ. Melvin was correct in his assessment that the Goodhertz is a plus.

Would I employ Fidelia next time. I might...(smile)

Enjoying this music more now,

Richard

Oooops, Part II.

Gee whiz! The remote app isn't that intuitive. I just happened to tap on the remote app screen and the screen flipped over to reveal what was missing. There's no hint of what to do to get there in the first place. I just did this intuitively and it revealed the rest of the remote app's controls re songs/artists/albums etc. Typically with apps there is an icon often in one of the top corners with multiple lines or whatever icon that allows one to see the "sections" of the program that provides services. Nothing pointed me to those other controls but my own intuition. And then Fidelia crashed after I selected albums and watched the spinning gears with wording "Loading".

Just relating my experience so far. I admit that there is more to discover but not readily apparent and could be easier, in my opinion. Now I need to discover if I can actually load my library into the albums retrival of the Fidelia app. If so that is a much improved use now that I know how to navigate with the Fidelia app.

I guess I posted before I leaped, er' looked harder. Hopefully, there's water in the pool.

Best,

Richard

Just returned to the Fidelia app. Now in faint letters and for the first time, the black backround above the play/pause/forward/backward...controls reads Tap To View Library. That cue was NOT visible until I tapped on the black part of the screen. Now it is and once tapped took me to my library. Makes the app worth it's weight in usefulness.

So in the words of Emily Litella, "never mind". It's there for the seeking.

Listening to my go-to album for assessing a player, Bill Evans, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1. Soundstage is there. Instruments correctly positioned. LaFaro's bass is decently rendered. Motian's drums. Bill Evans' piano sounds good. PRat, whatever that means is very good. My assessment of Fidelia just went up several notches in satisfaction. And the app makes using Fidelia even better when I am feeling "lazy" and want the app to do the work instead of getting off my tuckus and selecting, playing etc. Well done, Fidelia.

Better stop posting and start learning how to use Fidelia the best way.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard .. glad you got some (if not all) of Fidelia's quirks sorted out. While this latest update wasn't exactly a giant step forward, I'm somewhat encouraged Audiofile Engineering hasn't abandoned the app(s) entirely. I would love to see an overhaul and modernization of the UI and library and hopefully this will be addressed in version 2.0 (mentioned on their support forum). The big surprise of course is/was the option of choosing Goodhertz or Izotope for SRC. (I thought for sure they would remove Izotope.) Good listening.

Hi Richard .. glad you got some (if not all) of Fidelia's quirks sorted out. While this latest update wasn't exactly a giant step forward, I'm somewhat encouraged Audiofile Engineering hasn't abandoned the app(s) entirely. I would love to see an overhaul and modernization of the UI and library and hopefully this will be addressed in version 2.0 (mentioned on their support forum). The big surprise of course is/was the option of choosing Goodhertz or Izotope for SRC. (I thought for sure they would remove Izotope.) Good listening.

Hello Melvin,

Me too! Sorry for my stumbling over the discovering how to navigate Fidelia. It has been some time since I have used Fidelia. For example. I closed Fidelia and relaunched it and the remote app as well. Once again the tap dialogue text prompt disappeared so if I had not discovered that tapping that black "empty" section of the front page of the remote app, I would not have "turned" the page to the library controls. I am not complaining, rather, explaining it can be awkward when a prompt does not show.

Thank you for further clarification. I was not aware of version 2.0 in the works. I concur with your assessments and the program is in need of a redesign re UI/UX. And if not for you, I would have probably overlooked the Goodhertz Converter, which for me and to my discernment makes a "big" difference in SQ. There's always something to improve. I hope they make the improvements. Glad I took the time to revisit Fidelia. Whether or not my use of this program continues with any frequency, I do appreciate re-acquainting myself, thanks to your post.

Good listening to you too (smile),

Richard

Oooops!

I overlooked a few things right off the bat. Don't Change was checked for Device Sample Rate. Odd for a default. One can set the SR to a specific SR. As soon as I checked "match...", the Dac displayed the correct SR. Sorry about my earlier confusion.

I also paid more attention to the settings this time, and changed the Converter to Goodfellas, aka, Goodhertz. Big difference. We're not in Kansas anymore. From essential flat narrow, Goodhertz just turned on the music, different animal all together. Serves up an extra helping of enjoyable. Much more dynamic, dimensional. Turns up everything. My compliments to Fidelia good fellas. Brighter too as in is that what the Regen accomplishes. I have been ruminating over this brighter sound with the Regen in the mix, the JS-2 LPS, MMK. Have explained to myself as listening to a system with UpTone Audio components for four years and now with those components, the SQ is different across the board with all the players I have available to play music. It is taking some "getting used to". For example, this Hamilton de Holanda album even in redbook CD just came alive in a good way. Decay is readily discernible. Depth of the instrument's voices more defined and fleshed out. Just using whatever descriptors come into my mind. May not mean anything to someone else's terminology to describe the SQ. I mean all of this in a favor context for SQ. Melvin was correct in his assessment that the Goodhertz is a plus.

Would I employ Fidelia next time. I might...(smile)

Enjoying this music more now,

Richard

Richard, are you finding that changing the converter changes the sound when "Match Song" is enabled?

Richard, are you finding that changing the converter changes the sound when "Match Song" is enabled?

Hello goldsdad,

If I understand you correctly, I believe I covered that. But let me restate what I said before. I found it strange and confounding that when playing a redbook album converted by XLD to AIFF at 44.1/16, my Dac2 DSDse displayed 88.2 BUT played the tracks correctly. Typically when that happens the sound is NOT QUITE right sounding. My Dac2 DSDse had been set to that SR for a Anne-Sophie Mutter download. Eventually when I realized that one may set the SR to match song, the display for my Dac2 DSDse displayed the correct SR, but I did not notice the change of setting made a difference. What if I played a 192/24 and kept the do not change set? Shouldn't the sound become distorted? I did not experiment.

The second part of your query: I was relatively unimpressed with the SQ with SR set to NOT CHANGE, but that apparently was not the only setting that could have affected playback, the converter setting was defaulted to MBits, if I remember correctly. When I changed the converter setting to Goodhertz, remembering Melvin's comment about how much better (my take on his comments) a change to the Goodhertz converter, lo and behold, the SQ leaped into a much better SQ, palpably. Day and night. As my comments after the converter change stated, I found Fidelia become more dynamic and dimensional, hence, much closer to what I appreciate in a player's SQ that moves me to employ that player.

Your query asks if Match Song in combination with a converter change affects the SQ. I must answer "yes". And I believe the converter choice is the determinant. I am not aware of what setting the SR to a specific resolution accomplishes. Would I not want automatic SRC to be the default else not bitperfect and when differentiated, the sound warps in cadence and clarity and everything else. What is Fidelia's intention for specific settings as opposed to automatic SRC?

I also note that Amarra sQ+2.2 with iRC also allows one to set the sample rate at a specific sample rate but the SRC operation is impeded for the moment. The result is awful when the SR doesn't change, for example playing TIDAL HIFI (44.1) track then a 176.4 DL. Yikes!

My assessment of Fidelia changed from flat and unimpressive to very enjoyable with Goodhertz. Is it close to HQPlayer? roon? Amarra Symphony? I would say not quite, but good enough to enjoy as it can be. There are more settings that I have not yet experienced, so the potential for improving on Goodhertz has not been fiddled with.

Hope this helps and answers your query.

Best,

Richard

[...]

Your query asks if Match Song in combination with a converter change affects the SQ. I must answer "yes". And I believe the converter choice is the determinant. [...]

Thanks.

When Match Song is enabled, the converter choice should be irrelevant because SRC should not be performed except when a file's sample rate is not supported by the DAC or its driver. It's odd that the sound was changing when the converter choice was changed, unless you were playing 384 kHz files when it's not possible to send greater than 192 kHz audio to your DAC, or something.

I am not aware of what setting the SR to a specific resolution accomplishes. Would I not want automatic SRC to be the default else not bitperfect and when differentiated, the sound warps in cadence and clarity and everything else. What is Fidelia's intention for specific settings as opposed to automatic SRC?

Match Song should result in bit-perfect output (assuming no other processing such as level adjustment) - i.e. no SRC, not automatic SRC - which is why it's odd that changing the converter choice is changing the sound when Match Song is enabled.

Someone would select an x kHz choice if they want automatic SRC to be done by computer software so the output to the DAC, for any rate of file, is always at a specific rate; perhaps the DAC's maximum rate so it does minimal or no upsampling/oversampling of its own.

Thanks.

When Match Song is enabled, the converter choice should be irrelevant because SRC should be not be performed except when a file's sample rate is not supported by the DAC or its driver. It's odd that the sound was changing when the converter choice was changed, unless you were playing 384 kHz files when it's not possible to send greater than 192 kHz audio to your DAC, or something.

Match Song should result in bit-perfect output (assuming no other processing such as level adjustment) - i.e. no SRC, not automatic SRC - which is why it's odd that changing the converter choice is changing the sound when Match Song is enabled.

Someone would select an x kHz choice if they want automatic SRC to be done by computer software so the output to the DAC, for any rate of file, is always at a specific rate; perhaps the DAC's maximum rate so it does minimal or no upsampling/oversampling of its own.

Thank you for the explanation. The specifications for my W4S Dac2 DSDse are 384/32/DSD64-256.The disparity between what my Dac displayed even if it was playing the 44.1/16 track correctly but displaying the wrong SR because of the setting - Don't Change - is distracting to me, even if automatic SRC takes place. Pass it off to OCD (smile).

The default converter produced mediocre SQ. I am not familiar with what the difference(s) between the default and Goodhertz converter is/are, other than to relate to you that sonically they are worlds apart in SQ output. My competencies are not with technology unless I have studied the subject. As to what makes Fidelia sound different, I would not venture anything other than the sensory specific feedback I discern and related to you.

Given my Dac's capability, and that I that I do not upsample except when employing HQPlayer, though from what I learned from EJ Sarmento recently that my Dac may oversample (not the same as upsample) my Dac plays what I feed it and display accurately the SR, with one exception, e.g., the firmware for my Dac does not accurately display DSD256, but that is a known problem that has yet to be corrected. In that case, it doesn't really matter to me what the display reads.

Again, thank you for taking the time to relate your experience of Fidelia's functions and expected results.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hmm .. my understanding (and I could be wrong) is "Don't Change" means exactly that, no conversion or algorithms used. "Match Song" engages your selected algorithm (Goodhertz, Izotope, or Apple). If Goodhertz is used then 1 of 2 options (Minimum Phase or Linear Phase) are available. If Izotope is used then the Izotope Resample Settings (under "Advanced") are activated. Dither is for both. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm .. my understanding (and I could be wrong) is "Don't Change" means exactly that, no conversion or algorithms used. "Match Song" engages your selected algorithm (Goodhertz, Izotope, or Apple). If Goodhertz is used then 1 of 2 options (Minimum Phase or Linear Phase) are available. If Izotope is used then the Izotope Resample Settings (under "Advanced") are activated. Dither is for both. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm afraid you are wrong - you're swapping the meanings of "Don't Change" and "Match Song".

"Don't Change" means don't change the computer's output rate (for the chosen device) from what it currently is, and therefore perform SRC for files that do not match that rate.

"Match Song" means change the computer's output rate (for the chosen device) to match that of the song, and avoid using SRC.

You can confirm that by observing the Audio Settings window of Audio MIDI Setup.

I have always thought that 1. "match song" meant to match the song's sample rate, i.e. bit perfect, 2. "don't change" means keep the sample rate at the current value (songs not matching this rate are sample rate converted to the current rate), and 3. selecting a particular frequency (the only other option possible) resamples everything to the selected frequency.

Changing this setting, selecting different tracks, and watching the output of the player I think shows this.

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

oops, goldsdad beat me to it :)

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

I'm afraid you are wrong - you're swapping the meanings of "Don't Change" and "Match Song".

"Don't Change" means don't change the computer's output rate (for the chosen device) from what it currently is, and therefore perform SRC for files that do not match that rate.

"Match Song" means change the computer's output rate (for the chosen device) to match that of the song, and avoid using SRC.

You can confirm that by observing the Audio Settings window of Audio MIDI Setup.

Thank you! It's funny, I can easily observe this by looking at my Qute's colorful little window and yet I never bothered to look (I always use "Match Song").

I just launched Fidelia 1.60. Match song is set. When I play a track that is 176.4, my Dac displays 176.4. Audio Midi Setup reads 176.4. As soon as I click on a track that is 192, my Dac displays 192 and AMS reads 192. I then selected a 44.1 track and my Dac reads 44.1 and AMS reads 44.1.

My conclusion is that Fidelia when set to match song plays the SR of the track as it is. There is no upsampling or downsampling. Given that my Dac and AMS reflect the same SR as the track being played match song corresponds to playing the track at the same sample rate.

When Fidelia was set to Don't Change, and the last track played was 176.4, when I play a 192 track, my Dac reads 176.4 and so does AMS; a 44.1 track reads 176.4 on Dac and AMS. It would appear the Bill Brown's conclusions are correct. And don't change converts any SR to the last SR played no matter what the SR of the track is actually.

How is that different from Bill Brown's understanding. The Dac and AMS displays confirm that understanding.

A counter example is what accomplishes intentionally through down sampling under certain conditions: Amarra Symphony for the last several builds does automatic downsampling depending on the Dac's capability. For example, my KEF X300A powered speakers/proprietary Dacs is limited to 96/24 max SR. When I play a 352.8 or 176.4, Amarra Symphony SRC's to 88.2. When I play a 384/192 Amarra Symphony SRC's to 96.

Best,

Richard

[...] My conclusion is that Fidelia when set to match song plays the SR of the track as it is. There is no upsampling or downsampling.

Yes, precisely, and that's why it is puzzling that you heard "day and night" differences between converter choices when no converter was being employed because "Match Song" was enabled.

[...] It would appear the Bill Brown's conclusions are correct. [...]

Yes, I'm certainly in full agreement with Bill. Bill and I have given you the same information.

Yes, precisely, and that's why it is puzzling that you heard "day and night" differences between converter choices when no converter was being employed because "Match Song" was enabled.

Yes, I'm certainly in full agreement with Bill. Bill and I have given you the same information.

So, let me clarify for you. I did say that the MBits was selected. When I returned to the program as it was setup, Mbits had remained selected and not changed; I changed to Match to Song; I changed whatever was selected to Goodhertz, and voilá, the SQ changed dramatically.

As I do not understand the relationship between Don't Change/converter and Match Song/converter, all I can supply is my sensory specific assessment. I appreciate that you are curious as to what would account for the change. Me too! But, unfortunately, I do not know enough to make that assessment, merely to describe the change in SQ I discerned. Perhaps, someone from Fidelia can clarify what happened and whether I am delusional or relating an accurate experience. If I were me (how's that for roses are red, violets are blue, I am schizophrenic and so am I, smile), what I reported is accurate. I just don't know the difference that made the difference.

Please remember I did not change Mbits. Just the converter. Linear phase was automatically selected. The difference in SQ was attention getting!

Sorry I can not be more helpful with an explanation. But I am sure Fidelia staff can.

Best,

Richard

I just want to repeat my query. Re-reading goldsdad's query, if match song how would changing converter influence the SQ, I ask again what is the relationship of SR/converter/SQ? If something changed what is the trigger for the change?

I would love to know as well. Thank you, goldsdad for pursuing this.

Best,

Richard

Richard .. curious indeed. Perhaps a query to Corey is in order ;-)

BTW, I've been contemplating the "Don't Change" option since being enlightened by goldsdad and Bill and it strikes me as redundant and unnecessary. If that was the option of choice you would set your desired output in Audio Midi, yes? The same choices exist in the Fidelia prefs drop-down menu, so what's the point of "Don't Change" as an option? Am I missing something again?

BTW, I've been contemplating the "Don't Change" option since being enlightened by goldsdad and Bill and it strikes me as redundant and unnecessary. If that was the option of choice you would set your desired output in Audio Midi, yes? The same choices exist in the Fidelia prefs drop-down menu, so what's the point of "Don't Change" as an option? Am I missing something again?

The point would appear to be user-friendliness. Say you want the audio output to some device to be at a particular rate regardless of the software that’s producing audio. That universal rate would be set in Audio MIDI Setup. Any time you decide to change the rate for all software, Fidelia won’t need to be informed of the new rate if Don’t Change is enabled.