IGNORED

Time to change headphones?

Hello guys, I'm a new member, I'm from italy so i apologize in advance for my english.. be patient please :)

I've recently bought a FiiO x3 that I use with an amp os2, and Grado SR80.

I listen all kind of music, from Metal, classic, pop, electronic, celtic and more.

My problem: after few hours of listening, I feel that "something" is missing.. sound is not as good as I expected, bass are a bit weak and (for example) guitars sound too metallic.. hard to explain.

The get the best from my FiiO, would you replace Grado with something else please? Reading around I was considering Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but I'm definitively open to any good idea.

Thanks

Hello guys, I'm a new member, I'm from italy so i apologize in advance for my english.. be patient please :)

I listen all kind of music, from Metal, classic, pop, electronic, celtic and more.

My problem: after few hours of listening, I feel that "something" is missing.. sound is not as good as I expected, bass are a bit weak and (for example) guitars sound too metallic.. hard to explain.

The get the best from my FiiO, would you replace Grado with something else please? Reading around I was considering Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but I'm definitively open to any good idea.Thanks

Why did you buy the SR80? Is it because you like that sound generally? Or do you want something very different?

Why did you buy the SR80? Is it because you like that sound generally? Or do you want something very different?

I got them because few people told me that they were really good. At the times I had cowon x9 and they were quite ok, now with new FiiO and amp they seem not enough..So I guess that being a noob didnt help me with that choice ..

I want something that really sounds better and let me hear my flac files at best, so to avoid to repeat the same mistake i'm asking around to be more than sure :)

I got them because few people told me that they were really good. At the times I had cowon x9 and they were quite ok, now with new FiiO and amp they seem not enough..So I guess that being a noob didnt help me with that choice ..

I want something that really sounds better and let me hear my flac files at best, so to avoid to repeat the same mistake i'm asking around to be more than sure :)

What kind of sound do you want? What headphones have you researched?

What kind of sound do you want? What headphones have you researched?

Well I like a warm sound, but good for classic and rock too, atm I just have a short list:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Senneheiser HD598

Beyerdinamic dt770 pro

Shure shr840

but any new good idea might help :)

Well I like a warm sound, but good for classic and rock too, atm I just have a short list:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Senneheiser HD598

Beyerdinamic dt770 pro

Shure shr840

but any new good idea might help

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Good studio headphone - slight peakiness in treble - not the most comfy.

Senneheiser HD598

Good neutral/warm headphone, comfy. Note it's open-back (no isolation).

Beyerdinamic dt770 pro

Warm, slightly cavernous sound, slightly peaky treble, comfy. Sound varies with different earpads.

Shure shr840

Good neutral sound, good build quality, comfort is midway between the M50 and the others.

The get the best from my FiiO, would you replace Grado with something else please? Reading around I was considering Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but I'm definitively open to any good idea.

Thanks

The SR80 is a very good headphone...you might have too look for a while and spend some money until you find something that will leave you feeling that something is not missing. After going through that song and dance, you might revisit the SR80 and think that the Grado was not bad at all.

IMO, the M50 is not better than the SR80, but you might like the sound the sound signature. Then again, you might not. The M50 does have more bass quantity (keep in mind they are a closed headphone), yet the Grado has better quality bass. If you can afford them, I would suggest the Philips X2 or the Sennheiser HD650. If cost is an issue, I would choose the Sennheiser HD598 over the Audio Technica any day of week.

Your description of the Grado SR80 is about how I would describe the sound of the headphones. So yes, time for new phones I think.

I have heard some of the phones in Dale Thorn's list and agree with his description of them.

I have some Beyer DT880 and Sony MDR 7510 headphones. I actually like the 7510's better though I like both.

Headphones vary a bit form person to person of course. The 7510's are a closed back headphone. They have good bass though maybe not as much as some noted for bass. The upper midrange and treble is good, clear, and non-fatiguing to me without being dull. In between low bass and treble they are superb to my ears. You don't notice the sound of the phone very much. The phones rather disappear leaving you listening to music. I find them fairly comfortable, but not as comfortable as the Beyer DT880. My only complaint is they have a coiled cord. I dislike coiled cords much preferring a straight cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-7510-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004YZYR4C

Safest policy is to hear phones before buying. Second safest is getting them from someone with a money back satisfaction guarantee.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

As stated the Grado SR80 are good phones, I have a pair and have always enjoyed them. But like you I started to feel like something was missing, it was the bass. The 80s are great clear sounding phones but they're just too lite in the bass register. We listen to mostly the same types of music and I know exactly what your saying.

After a lot of listening and studying I ended up with Sennheiser Momentums Over the Ear. For my listening preferences and budget they are just perfect. Great bass drive without being boomy and fantastic clarity in the mids and treble. You didn't mention your budget but for a mid-range priced phone I don't think they can be beat. The Momentums retail for $350 but since the Momentum 2s were released just recently you can find the original Over the Ears all over ebay for under $200, an absolute steal. The newer 2s only offer the ability to fold smaller for portable carry and a larger ear-cup that fit users with dumbo ears better. Sound wise they are the same. I don't think you'll find a better phone for your needs especially at the new reduced price, worth every penny and then a lot more.

Make sure you get the "over the ear" and not the "on the ear" model, quite a bit of difference in sound.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.