IGNORED

Amarra sQ+ with iRC Present and Future

Dear All,

Sonic Studio has released Amarra sQ+ build 2.2 with iRC today. For more information, visit their website. One can find the download for the trial/purchase/user manual at their Support/Download section.

My review will follow. This thread is initiated and intends to provide the same purposeful resources as the threads for Amarra Symphony with iRC, Amarra For TIDAL with iRC and now Amarra sQ+2.2 with iRC. An iRC license is required for implementation. If you already own an iRC license, merely activate the license for Amarra sQ+ build 2.2 (hereafter "AsQ+wiRC"). Otherwise, one must purchase the iRC license separately.

Thank you for your attention.

Best,

Richard

I posted the following in my own Amarra sQ thread, but I agree with Richard that the advent of sQ with iRC is significant enough to warrant its own thread, so I'm going to copy these posts and continue in this thread going forward:

Post 1:

"I am just beginning to listen to various streaming sources; so far only Naxos's ClassicsOnline HD-LL, later I will try TIDAL through Roon. Too early to say much about SQ other than nothing obviously out of character for the signature Amarra sound, and no artifacts like clicks or pops. However, it is not playing gaplessly with ClassicsOnline (not a surprise, as sQ+ 2.1 did not, either).

"I will report back with more, but wanted to share this with any Amarra with iRC fans who like me have been waiting for a way to play streaming sources with iRC."

Post 2:

"I have tried running Roon through sQ+ 2.2 with iRC and, unfortunately, it does not work at all. Pops, clicks, buzzing; they just don't integrate. Roon connects beautifully with Dirac, so I'm going to stick to that for now. I may experiment with running the TIDAL desktop app through Amarra sQ+ just to see how that sounds/works, but honestly, the Roon user experience with TIDAL is so vastly superior to TIDAL's own application (especially in the area of liner notes!), and the SQ of TIDAL is never really outstanding enough for critical listening, that I may put on hold my desire to hear TIDAL with Amarra and iRC room correction. I get the latter by using Dirac, and honestly, the room correction is a much bigger improvement to my system's sound than the Amarra sound itself.

"So, to recap:

"- Amarra sQ+ v.2.2 has been released; it integrates nicely with iRC room correction if you already have a license (if not, it will be another $450 to obtain that, plus ~$170 to buy a compatible microphone to measure your room and create filters for iRC)

- sQ+ with iRC plays well with Naxos's lossless streaming service ClassicsOnline HD-LL

- sQ+ with iRC does NOT play AT ALL with Roon ... clicks, pops, buzzing, music somewhere in the background of all the noise. Yuck.

"That is all I have tested. I am pleased that I can get the "Amarra sound" with iRC on at least one of my streaming services, and because I already owned sQ+ and had an iRC license, it cost me nothing to find that out. I am disappointed just a little that I can't make it work with Roon, but I'm becoming very enamored of the Roon + Dirac setup (without Amarra's additional layer of engine honey), and I think I may just step off the Amarra train except for Naxos's ClassicsOnline streaming service and that occasional time where I may want to play files from my local collection in all their glory with Amarra Symphony with iRC."

I posted the following in my own Amarra sQ thread, but I agree with Richard that the advent of sQ with iRC is significant enough to warrant its own thread, so I'm going to copy these posts and continue in this thread going forward:

Post 1:

"I am just beginning to listen to various streaming sources; so far only Naxos's ClassicsOnline HD-LL, later I will try TIDAL through Roon. Too early to say much about SQ other than nothing obviously out of character for the signature Amarra sound, and no artifacts like clicks or pops. However, it is not playing gaplessly with ClassicsOnline (not a surprise, as sQ+ 2.1 did not, either).

"I will report back with more, but wanted to share this with any Amarra with iRC fans who like me have been waiting for a way to play streaming sources with iRC."

Post 2:

"I have tried running Roon through sQ+ 2.2 with iRC and, unfortunately, it does not work at all. Pops, clicks, buzzing; they just don't integrate. Roon connects beautifully with Dirac, so I'm going to stick to that for now. I may experiment with running the TIDAL desktop app through Amarra sQ+ just to see how that sounds/works, but honestly, the Roon user experience with TIDAL is so vastly superior to TIDAL's own application (especially in the area of liner notes!), and the SQ of TIDAL is never really outstanding enough for critical listening, that I may put on hold my desire to hear TIDAL with Amarra and iRC room correction. I get the latter by using Dirac, and honestly, the room correction is a much bigger improvement to my system's sound than the Amarra sound itself.

"So, to recap:

"- Amarra sQ+ v.2.2 has been released; it integrates nicely with iRC room correction if you already have a license (if not, it will be another $450 to obtain that, plus ~$170 to buy a compatible microphone to measure your room and create filters for iRC)

- sQ+ with iRC plays well with Naxos's lossless streaming service ClassicsOnline HD-LL

- sQ+ with iRC does NOT play AT ALL with Roon ... clicks, pops, buzzing, music somewhere in the background of all the noise. Yuck.

"That is all I have tested. I am pleased that I can get the "Amarra sound" with iRC on at least one of my streaming services, and because I already owned sQ+ and had an iRC license, it cost me nothing to find that out. I am disappointed just a little that I can't make it work with Roon, but I'm becoming very enamored of the Roon + Dirac setup (without Amarra's additional layer of engine honey), and I think I may just step off the Amarra train except for Naxos's ClassicsOnline streaming service and that occasional time where I may want to play files from my local collection in all their glory with Amarra Symphony with iRC."

Hello Jim,

Just so you know, I did not realize that you created a thread on July 5th. In fact I looked on Friday early after I saw that the download for AsQ+2.2 was released officially. Apparently, I missed your thread. My apologies for not letting you know my intentions. And I certainly did not want you to think I would just ignore your own efforts.

As I have for ASwiRC and Amarra For TIDALw/iRC, I thought given I have had the beta edition of 2.2 to start a new thread with the same focus as my other two threads. Typically, as soon as Sonic Studio releases an official build, I always download the new build and replace my beta build just so that I am on par with everyone else.

Thank you for generously posting at this thread with a most cooperative spirit. It is greatly appreciated. Hope you are enjoying AsQ+2.2 which I know you have anticipated for some time.

Sonic Studio's website Home Page has yet to change the text re the official release to reflect that AsQ+2.2 has arrived. So we are helping others who may not have checked the Support/Download/AsQ+ page to discover the official release.

As you may know, Amarra For TIDAL with iRC is still pending the official release. A miscommunication on my part with a little help from Sonic Studio, led to my initiating the new A4TwiRC thread prematurely as I always wait for the official release. I expect that release to arrive shortly.

Best,

Richard

Dear All,

I was surprised to learn that AsQ+2.2wiRC does not work with roon. Unless I am imagining what I was led to understand, roon should work with AsQ+. Not with iRC as iRC is only integrated with Amarra Symphony, A4TwiRC and AsQ+wiRC and NOT with roon.

Therefore, I shall send a missive to the Oracles at Sonic Studio and hopefully discover what the 411 is with roon and AsQ+2.2. Admittedly, I allowed myself to focus on A4TwiRC and roonwDL. And put AsQ+with iRC on the back burner. But the order of official release of AsQ+wiRC and A4T did not coincide with my understanding. So I need to obtain clarification if that will be forthcoming. After all, I am just a lowly beta tester with delusions of wanting to be useful to the CA membership when and if I can (smile).

In the meantime, enjoy the music in the ways that we can,

PS (out of order for position)

I imagine I am probably the last person to send a missive to Sonic Studio about the current currency of AsQ+2.2wiRC and roon. If I can get to the head of the line, I'll report back as I always do unless I am asked not to. You know the routine. They who must be obeyed allow me to retain my credibility (smile).

Richard

Waiting on a response from Sonic Studio for clarification about AsQ+wiRC (2.2) and roon. I have made them aware of the difficulty we are having. I am on the same page as I am not able to get AsQ+ to work with roon either. Frankly that was my first effort.

I am sure we will get a responsive answer. But it may take several days before a definitive answer is forthcoming. This is not in my control.

Best,

Richard

Dear All,

The response I had hoped for arrived from Sonic Studio. Their solution solved the problem of no sound, no meter activity no nothing. But was short lived.

Here are the steps I was asked to follow that worked (once):

1. In roon, change Zone to Sonic Stream, and uncheck Exclusive mode.

2. In roon, change audio setup for my Dac2 DSDse by unchecking Exclusive mode as well.

3. Start AsQ+ and set output to Sonic Stream. I also happened to have iRC enabled at the time. I selected an album randomly that happened to be a rip of a redbook CD converted to AIFF by XLD at 44.1/16.

AsQ+2.2 with iRC and roon worked to play the album. I adjusted the meters for AsQ+ to regulate the volume level. Voilá! The instructions also asked me to play an album/track at 192 and or 176.4. I stopped roon. Selected a HDtracks.com download at 192/24 AIFF, and playback was grossly distorted. I attempted 96/24, 88.2/24. Same distorted sound. Decided to close AsQ+ and relaunch. Selected a 44.1/16 AIFF track. No sound. The meters in AsQ+wiRC moved. The small graphic in roon next to the track title playing moved, but I was not able to render the SOUND. Checked System Preferences for Sound, output/input. Audio Midi Setup. Nothing I attempted succeeded in producing sound.

Returned my Zone settings in roon for my Dac2 DSDse to exclusive mode, fixed sound etc., selected the same 192/24 HDtracks.com download AIFF and confirmed that my system with roon produced sound.

I am waiting to learn what I may accomplish with Sonic Studio that will help them help me so that I can pass on a cure to the member users of AsQ+wiRC and roon. For the short time it did get sound with AsQ+with iRC enabled, sounded good to me. But that was short lived; and I was not focusing on the SQ as much as getting the two programs (make that three including iRC) to work together.

To be continued with better results (smile) after awhile,

Richard

Furthermore, I then launched roon and TIDAL HIFI and attempted to play a Bill Evans album from TIDAL's database which plays through roon beautifully but not with AsQ+wiRC. Thought AsQ+ meters are moving, no sound emanates. I reported this to Sonic Studio.

I am sure this will get sorted out in time by Sonic Studio. For now, I am waiting for an intervention because without one, my head hurts from trying to make it work. Amarra For TIDAL works like a charm.

AsQ+2.2wiRC on my system is not ready for prime time. Probably something with SRC and other problems given that matching the SRC doesn't allow for sound to be played. Something more has to be amiss. I'll wait for them (The Oracles) to sort this out.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Running out of steam for streaming, etc. with AsQ+wiRC.

Best,

Richard

Dear All,

The following solution for the time being will allow a member user who employs AsQ+2.2 with iRC (AsQ+wiRC) to make beautiful music with roon, with roon and TIDAL HIFI and with iRC enabled.

There is an issue with SRC such that AsQ+ is not changing the SRC correctly (a la iTunes). My beta testing what is now yesterday evening helped Sonic Studio Oracles sort it out. My apologies for getting slightly confused, frustrated and worn out. Mistakes happen. And I made my share several hours ago. Please allow me to correct myself and provide the support I sought to accomplish in the first place working with Amarra Support last night.

Easy as it can be with a slight hitch in the road, which I believe will be remedied shortly so that AsQ+2.2wiRC will SRC correctly when different resolutions are played.

For those of you who are having trouble getting sound or getting AsQ+2.2wiRC to play nicely, please take notice:

1. Launch roon and set the Zone in roon to Sonic Stream.

2. Uncheck Exclusive Mode if checked for Zone Sonic Stream in Audio Preference Tab. Also,

3. Uncheck Exclusive mode for any other Zone/device where one has checked Exclusive mode. This includes your Dac and other devices that allow for Exclusive Mode to be set. This is on advice from Amarra Support.

4. Launch AsQ+2.2/with iRC if you have enabled iRC enabled. Or if you have activated your iRC license do so and add your iRC filters or create them.

5. Click on the gears in the lower left corner of the AsQ+ UI and set the OUTPUT to your Dac, (NOT Sonic Stream), in my case, W4S Dac2 DSDse.

6. Set the input to Sonic Stream

7 For the time being, and this is important, in the same section of the UI for OUTPUT RESOLUTION insure that the correct frequency/resolution of the album or track(s) selected conforms to the setting, e.g., 44/48/88.2/96 etc. up to 192.The first time, the correct resolution should be selected by AsQ+. However, if and when that resolution changes, and you hear distorted playback, that signals that the SRC did not change to the SRC in use if different from the former resolution.

Once Sonic Studio fixes the code so that AsQ+2.2 operates correctly when SRC'ing, one will not have to change it manually (for the time being). I have demonstrated this so I know of what I speak.

I also tested iRC when enabled and it works with AsQ+ and roon and roon with TIDAL. Hallelujah!!! roon can process DSD over DoP or with ASIO (I believe that has been implemented or will be). But DSD is not supported by AsQ+wiRC.

Given the hoops I had to jump through to sort this out, I have no had the time to listen to the SQ with AsQ+2.2wiRC in the mix. I will shortly spend time listening to the SQ from AsQ+2.2wiRC and without iRC with roon and roon with TIDAL HIFI.

Perhaps, Amarra Support will post at the appropriate thread(s) to keep us informed of their progress in correcting the issue with Sample Rate Change not conforming and thus not playing back the resolution correctly.

I also want to express my appreciation for the evening and into the night support I received from Sonic Studio when I reported the problems other member users have posted which I conveyed to Amarra Support earlier on Friday and Saturday and received the correct solutions for playback and workarounds for the SRC issue. Given that Sonic Studio is aware now of what that particular issue requires, we can expect a fix soon.

For those of you who may be experiencing clicks, pops and other distortions which are not the result of the SRC issue, I did not address those problems as I do not have them. In other words, AsQ+2.2wiRC plays as it should for me on my system (sssh don't wake the Gremlins, smile). If you are encountering other issues, I recommend you let Amarra Support know about them. As always, feel free to post here with those issues and remedies.

Just a friendly reminder: The purpose of this thread is to serve as a resource for AsQ+wiRC Present and Future builds, how to, solutions for problems and surely your findings and assessment of the program if you should care to. As the curator, I just ask that we keep this thread on topic which serves to enhance the usefulness of the thread.

Once again, my apologies for going off course yesterday and getting things a bit confused (including myself). I do hope this post and the information provided both from my own experience, now that I am back on course, and from the thoughtful, untiring support from Amarra Support, even on the weekend into the evening hours will be of good use to help you sort out these issues.

Thank you for your time. The program even with its peccadillos is turning out to be a useful and enjoyable source for quality SQ enabled with iRC. I am not contending with or inviting opinions about the price points for iRC, which I leave up to the individual to decide the merit, value, worth and utility for what it provides for the enjoyment of music. It works for me and has since 2013 without issue for me and enhances the rendition of music and to the degree that it can be effective to treat impulse response correction I believe worth its cost. There are several paths to the refinement of playback and room conditions, I believe AsQ+wiRC is a worthwhile product, and glad to have it for my use. You can decide that for yourselves.

Enjoy the music,

Best,

Richard

Dear Richard,

Many thanks for all your efforts! No. 7, ie. adjusting the bit rate in SQ+ makes all the difference.

With much appreciation,

Dieter

Hello Dieter,

Welcome to the thread. Thank you for your kind remarks. Getting there was not half the fun. But once I was there, then the fun began.

Here's to more fun as we go (smile).

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Dear All:

Whats up? Holy shiitake mushrooms! After staring at the beta edition of AsQ+2.2 with iRC (no time to put it through its paces), I purchased AsQ+2.2 with iRC, released a few days ago, anyway. It's my policy to purchase every program I beta test -- my integrity and credibility demands that I do. So I did. Merde! Pretty soon after pressing "play", I discovered they sold me a broken one. Problems happen. Even new releases. It's expected, n'est-ce pas? Of course. But, it only took 6ms to discover the problem. Hmmmm! (Subtext: "WTF?" Sorry to stoop to a crude banality.)

Pausing to ponder my dilemma, I decided to get proactive rather than reactive. And I converted my puzzlement into action: I got vocal about my discovery and respectfully confronted the Oracles at Sonic Studio. And I had company. How many of us discovered problems getting started with AsQ+2.2wiRC, rather, NOT getting started.

I regard problems as the precedent (springboard) for inviting solutions. Perfect is something to strive for, and I'll settle for getting it right for as long as it takes and hopefully sooner than later. I was pleased to spend the time giving and getting feedback from the Oracles. In a cooperative spirit, together, we figured it out. Or they did while I did. My prior beta testing with Amarra Symphony builds after 2.6 with iRC or around the same time (since 2011, volunteer basis) when SRC downsampling was being implemented for users of Dacs limited to 96/24, like my KEFX300A self-powered with proprietary Dac one for each speaker, so that 352.8/192/176.4 would not break and play at the downsample rate(s) at 96/88.2. I had some experience with this until it was remedied and now works flawlessly.

Once I received the much needed support provided me during off hours over the weekend over two days and into late night to get AsQ+2.2wiRC up and running, which I am very grateful for; and feeling justified about my perspective of Sonic Studio's pursuit of excellence delivered in many different ways, I turned my focus to the bigger picture. What's up?

Is AsQ+2.2wiRC just another program purchased offering similar (redundant?) features and do I need it? Clearly with the entrance of UpTone Audio components for linear power supply, signal integrity, fan control regulation, etc. There are choices which expand my interface with my music library, sound quality rendition, the world of music and those connected with that world. That and the problems presented and subsequently solved or being solved. This is a time of transition, expansion and opportunities. My recent activities and purchases and experience with new and different access to music made me reflect on what is in that big picture. I am looking at the trees in the forrest. It's getting crowded. How does the light reach the new and innovating new programs, or what light do those provide me?

I ignored streaming until just recently. What for? I play albums -- my own -- at the highest quality available even if it takes several (as many) releases as I can find and am willing to spend for.

I regarded TIDAL (HIFI) as a convenient source of music for others with compromised quality of rendition. Not for me?What do I need access to 25 million albums/songs that keeps up with new releases as they arrive? When my CD rips sound better? Still TIDAL HIFI is pretty decent.

I regarded roon as an interesting "maybe" -- if I lose my copy of Amarra Symphony with iRC. Do I really need another player and prodigious access to information for just about all the music, artists, composers past, present and future? And in a very attractive UI/UX design and symmetry? That I enjoy looking at as much as I enjoy using it. That innovates on itself non-stop (or as long as it takes to make change happen)?

What do I get with Amarra For TIDAL HIFI with iRC? I've already got roon with TIDAL HIFI and now Dirac Live (Full program) to employ with roon and TIDAL HIFI. All together cheap at 800++ USD? Wait! A4TwiRC is less. Much less. Pssst! If one doesn't already own an iRC license, it costs $450 for a license for A4T. The license can be used for two other Amarra programs that are now innovated to integrate iRC. Do I need iRC? Do I even need Dirac Live?

Amarra sQ+2.2 now with iRC allows use on two computers. And? Don't I already have enough ways to get to better SQ for a variety of audio/video services? And it's broken out of the box, sort of, temporarily with SRC in need of a fix so it changes resolutions automatically. You know, so it doesn't act like iTunes in several disappointing ways (iTunes that is). And to work with roon, you have to know about Exclusive Mode. Don't check it in your Zone Device setups. Is that written somewhere? Where?

And speaking of iTunes, do I need it any longer? I believe it intentionally does not do as many things as other programs by design unless in tandem with mostly other Apple programs. If I got this wrong, my apologies in advance.

My reasons for adding all these innovative software programs and hardware innovations accomplish being able to choose when and what I can employ to enhance my enjoyment of music which is the paramount reason I started with this hobby in 2011. I would easily conclude, it has never been better than at this moment with more innovations to come. There's an opportunity for HQPlayer and its excellent upsampling and DSD playback to be aligned with roon for use together. There are new interfaces like the μRendu that will up the excellent rendition of DSD and for use with roon's coming roon speakers and HQPlayer's NAA daemon which enhances native DSD processing including the higher DSD resolutions, 256/512 limited for some of us with Dacs for which there are no ASIO drivers for Mac (only Windows unless a Dac manufacturer offers the drivers).

Given the flexibility, maybe that's the wrong word, the varied and in depth EQ adjustments provided by these new Amarra products, A4THIFIwiRC and AsQ+2.2wiRC, for those who desire such control, ease of use, compatibility with the other programs and subscription services, impulse response (room) correction enabled with iRC, the Amarra engine for gapless playback, even if there are other programs that offer similar features and quality of rendition, I am so impressed with the excellent quality of performance that I have no regrets. One may choose to be more discriminating for any number of reasons including financial considerations. Being artfully vague, as roon and other music servers/players are innovating at a brisk pace, comparatively, I believe the Amarra products are in a transition to offer features that will be greatly appreciated and have been on our wish list. I am not psychic or free to disclose what the birdies are chirping. But in time...(as long as it takes), the competition and alliances are expanding what can be done that we will shortly use as if these enhancements had always been there. Getting us to the advantages already available and on the horizon doesn't require much effort.

The more things change, the more they remain the same (the new sameness in the NOW and in the know). I recommend readers of this thread and the other threads I started as a focus and resource for the programs we employ to make it happen, check out the latest and determine for yourself whether these programs deliver what you are seeking. There's no substitute for direct experience.

And, fortunately for us, the varied threads found elsewhere in the subforums at CA laden rich in information, support and insights exist for our benefit and expression. I tend to take advantage to offer up my perspectives along with hopefully useful information and welcome other members to do the same here, there, everywhere. Try it, you might like it -- they're works in progress that makes change welcome.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Best,

Richard

PS

Would not do without both iRC and Dirac Live, either through the auspices of AsQ+wiRC and with roon/TIDAL in tandem or with roon/TIDALHIFI/DiracLive (full)

Richard, YOU ARE THE MAN!! Thanks so much for working with Sonic Studio to sort this out for all of us. I am playing Roon through Amarra SQ+ 2.2 applying my iRC filter. NICE! Yesterday, after purchasing ASQ+ 2.2 upgrade, I could not get any sound when trying to pipe Roon through ASQ+ 2.2. I contacted Richard privately to make sure I wasn't doing anything "dumb". But then I saw that others had the same problems.

I am running with the eqaulizer "off" since I'm using my iRC filter. I'm also running with Audio Conditioner "off". One thing at a time, right? Are you running with these settings? BIG THANK YOU RICHARD!

Ralph

Richard, YOU ARE THE MAN!! Thanks so much for working with Sonic Studio to sort this out for all of us. I am playing Roon through Amarra SQ+ 2.2 applying my iRC filter. NICE! Yesterday, after purchasing ASQ+ 2.2 upgrade, I could not get any sound when trying to pipe Roon through ASQ+ 2.2. I contacted Richard privately to make sure I wasn't doing anything "dumb". But then I saw that others had the same problems.

I am running with the eqaulizer "off" since I'm using my iRC filter. I'm also running with Audio Conditioner "off". One thing at a time, right? Are you running with these settings? BIG THANK YOU RICHARD!

Hello Ralph,

Good to hear from you again. Thank you for your kind words. So glad to be helpful and thank you for getting back to me with the good news that your AsQ+wiRC is working to your satisfaction. Apologies for the typos and some sloppy writing. I was exhausted when I composed that post feeling the need to get the information published to the membership as soon as possible. I gather the salient points were coherent enough to serve us and convey what is needed to get up and running until a fix to the code sets SRC to operate correctly.

Short answer is "no" I am not running with those settings you refer to. I will (shortly) want to familiarize myself with those operations/settings to learn if I want them in the equation and at least what they bring to the SQ from AsQ+wiRC. Admittedly, I have some catching up to do, as I have only just started employing AsQ+wiRC only a few days ago. But had it in beta long before and left it idle. The present situation for us all set a fire under me. There are still embers but I believe the main flame is out.

Take care. Enjoy the music,

Richard

I am presently listening to AsQ+2.2wiRC (different build) and roon Annie-Sophie Mutter/André Previn, 88.2/24 download AIFF, Tchaikovsky Korngold: Violin Concertos. Marvelous. Listened with EQ set to classical then without EQ. iRC on all the time. Turned it off for a brief time. Prefer iRC engaged. EQ is a toss-up in favor of no EQ. And I not knowledgeable as to how to fiddle (pun intended, oy!) with the Parametric EQ. I prefer to use the canned settings.

My point is that not until this moment did I get a real sense of AsQ+2.2wiRC and roon. Typically, it also helps to have an excellent recording to help overall. And that is what this Mutter/Previn recording is. Superb technique and musicality. How do I know? The detailing, dimensionality, tone and timbre. It's a DG and I thought the clash of the cymbals at times is strident and typically DG digital (as in DDD CD) but aside from that, the performance is excellent and the combination of roon and AsQ+2.2wiRC is the best I have heard those two programs making music together.

I still had to switch the sample rate to 88.2 manually until the SRC is fixed. roon switches but AsQ+2.2wiRC doesn't respond automatically. It's only a matter of time before they get it right.

I tried the Audio Conditioner which I read helps out with compressed/streamed recordings. Not appropriate for a download of this quality, sibilance aside. DG bless their digital.

AsQ+2.2wiRC offers so much in the EQ/AC department that I need to spend the time listening to music these operations are intended for. TIDAL HIFI needs audio conditioning? The automatic classical EQ setting with and without was a toss up, with an edge to without. But iRC adds to the enjoyment.

Next is to compare AsQ+2.2wiRC and roon with roonwDiracLive and Amarra SymphonywiRC in Playlist mode. I am surprised that the AsQ+2.2wiRC/roon combo was so satisfying. Had I not listened intently or at all, I would never have appreciated what this session brought. It also makes it easy when less is more. AsQ+ with roon, AsQ+wTIDAL HIFI standalone; roonwTIDAL HIFIwDirac Live offers possiblities until now I was not able to select from. Or is the idea to zero in on one player with or without impulse response (room) correction i.e., HQPlayer (with roon?), A+, the other players and a handy, dandy remote app and settle in to focus on the music.

It's only when I start these comparisons that I become aware of what each program provides and can do for the experience of enjoyment. Is there ever a player and a room that can not be enhanced with impulse response correction? Out of sight out of mind? (Switching sensory metaphors.) Streaming is better with AsQ+ or roon with Dirac Live, in my experience. Other members may decide not, or as I stated a few sentences ago, have not had the opportunity to compare and then decide yes or no, as in know what to say no to, or yes to.

I also wonder what contribution the UpTone Audio components are contributing. I am getting used to the sonic signature "adjustments" they add to. Not color change. But change assuredly. Worth it to wade in and find out what changes are worth the effort. The contrasts are telling. As I am just doing that...In poker the "tell" is to be avoided. Not so in music. I am dealing myself a new hand every time I change the elements. So far, it's been enjoyable, except when things bite. But that will get fixed soon. Keep a eye on what's coming around the corner. (smile).

Enjoy the music,

Richard

image.jpg

Although I am still in early experimental stages and am very glad to have the option of Amara sQ+ with iRC working well with Roon, I am more and more finding myself attracted to the sound of Roon with Dirac and nothing more. The impulse response control and EQ of Dirac (same as Amarra iRC) make a huge difference in my room and with my system; I would never want to do without them. But when I use Roon with Exclusive and Integer Mode switched on (which as Richard points out above, Sonic Studio recognizes would be incompatible with playback through sQ+ with iRC), I am getting a sound I really enjoy. I also appreciate not having to adjust sample rates between recordings, which while it was always one of Amarra's chief selling points appears not to have registered with Sonic Studio when they released sQ+ incapable of recognizing and adjusting automatically to changed sampling rates. I realize based on Richard's posts that SS may be fixing this obvious flaw; good on them if they are. And I may continue to have a use for sQ+ to listen to online radio station streams. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, I think I will be listening to Roon plus Dirac for my library and TIDAL, and Classicsonline HD straight into Dirac.

Although I am still in early experimental stages and am very glad to have the option of Amara sQ+ with iRC working well with Roon, I am more and more finding myself attracted to the sound of Roon with Dirac and nothing more. The impulse response control and EQ of Dirac (same as Amarra iRC) make a huge difference in my room and with my system; I would never want to do without them. But when I use Roon with Exclusive and Integer Mode switched on (which as Richard points out above, Sonic Studio recognizes would be incompatible with playback through sQ+ with iRC), I am getting a sound I really enjoy. I also appreciate not having to adjust sample rates between recordings, which while it was always one of Amarra's chief selling points appears not to have registered with Sonic Studio when they released sQ+ incapable of recognizing and adjusting automatically to changed sampling rates. I realize based on Richard's posts that SS may be fixing this obvious flaw; good on them if they are. And I may continue to have a use for sQ+ to listen to online radio station streams. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, I think I will be listening to Roon plus Dirac for my library and TIDAL, and Classicsonline HD straight into Dirac.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your comments and assessment. We both have the same choices as I, too, own the same programs as you. And, candidly, your perspective is valid and accurate.

The comparisons do not avoid the conclusion that if AsQ+2.2wiRC was integrated in Amarra SymphonywiRC which has a parametric EQ by itself; and, if TIDAL (HIFI) was integrated or playable through Amarra Symphony, then the comparisons would be apples to apples and one can bite into and decide which tastes better.

But Sonic Studio decided on three separate programs, whereas roon enables all three to work together. If it were me, I would not have released AsQ+2.2wiRC in the state it is in presently with SRC impeded. I have said so in my beta testing assessment. And, knowing Sonic Studio as I do, that impediment will be fixed. Name me a software player that doesn't have a peccadillos or two or three that needs "fixing". It's the nature of the beast.

It's the versatility of one program versus the other that one must decide which suits their needs. My outcome would not be to persuade one to chose one over the other. Merely to report my experience of AsQ+2.2wiRC's perfections and imperfections and the changes the program goes through. What to do when operations are problematic etc. I leave the discernment for what is preferred to each member.

I believe you have accurately assessed from you experience which matches mine a valid and appropriate conclusion. And, yet, as you acknowledge, AsQ+2.2wiRC has its advantage in a variety of other facets for use. I also love the meters Sonic Studio provides with most Amarra programs. And I rely upon them to regulate the gain settings for iRC/Dirac Live. The slider makes it convenient to set the volume levels for AsQ+2.2wiRC, the Audio Conditioner, the EQ is easily set out for one to manage. I lack the knowledge for using the parametric EQ so I use the canned EQ settings, if I choose to. Mostly not.

Like anything that delivers a real result, choices are a good thing. AsQ+2.2wiRC and builds for the future has it merits. The success of this program is a mutual relationship of what is offered by Sonic Studio now and in the future, and what we as the users glean from each program offers. In both applications, iRC/Dirac Live is an expensive program, but, if desired, it's worth the price of admission. The rest is self-evident.

I recommend CA members and readers of this thread, take them out for a spin and find out.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

I am imagining that the Oracles at Sonic Studio are contending with SRC fixes which have yet to materialize. The work-a-round, unless I missed something, continues to require that we manually set the sample rate for the track being played unless it is the same sample rate as the preceding track.

Not aware what may account for the delay in a build release that corrects this annoying impediment. But as we have experienced with all the builds for all the software players, there is always something that pops up and bites us.

I am only commenting at present because of the delay, as I am experiencing it, and connecting with those members who are employing AsQ+2.2wiRC and wondering what is the present state. I would have preferred someone from Amarra Support to have posted at this thread and connect with us. But that has not occurred for us or, perhaps to them, that a word or two won't make it any easier but at least stroke us member users who patiently (?) await the cure for the SRC impediment.

If anyone at Sonic Studio is listening, some of us understand that to err is human and to forgive is Divine. I for one am ready to forgive. Please provide us with the opportunity.

Thank you in advance.

Richard

I just love posting here and noticing no response from Sonic Studio. Nothing. Nada.

I am familiar with the wisdom in you can take a horse to water but you can not make it turn over and float on its back. Or any other banal saying that reminds one to make it happen, one has to let it happen. But what to do when the control is in someone else's purview?

Obviously, I don't sit around crumbling. I am proactive. I reported my findings directly to Sonic Studio. I am not complaining. I am calling them to respond. It's not a secret. Maybe I am crumbling a little.

I would expect at the minimum a word or two from the Oracles that they're working on it and to hang in there. You know, good will between maker/users. Maybe, I am being silly. Maybe I should buck-up and just take it for as long as it takes for Sonic Studio to get it right. We've been through this before with problems that take time. Hang in there.

Thank you! I needed that.

Best,

Richard

I just received my last "get it now at a discount" email from Sonic Studio and unless sQ+ is fixed (or at least addressed by the powers that be) before the offer runs out on the 15th, I will not be upgrading. How can they expect us to upgrade to a broken product? The very least they could do at this point is end their silence.

Is it just me or Tidal sound quality thru SQ+2.2 went down the drain compared with the previous version? Now I prefer bypassing Amarra Sq+...

Hello this is my first post on this forum, I'm from Sweden and my English is not the best. But i'll try my best.

I also have problems with the quality of the updated SQ+ with iRC.

When i'm listening to Spotify thru SQ+ and iRC enabled the sound is just wierd, it sounds as if some part of the music is in mono and the soundstage is just too big. I also get a balance problem, the gain on left channel is much higher.

It's nice with a big soundstage but not this big.

I first found out this when i listened to a track with Captain Hook called Alternate Universe, that track has some parts with the sound going from left to right to left to right an so on. With iRC enabeled it dont go from left to right, it sounds from both channels at the same time and half of the sounds get lost, it just sounds as it would be recorded in mono.

If I'm listening to the same track in iTunes thru Amarra Symphony with iRC enabeled there is no problem, it just sounds great.

I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, i'm using the same filters that i'm using with Amarra Symphony and iRC.

But i got the feeling that this program is'nt finished yet.

Hello this is my first post on this forum, I'm from Sweden and my English is not the best. But i'll try my best.

When i'm listening to Spotify thru SQ+ and iRC enabled the sound is just wierd, it sounds as if some part of the music is in mono and the soundstage is just too big. I also get a balance problem, the gain on left channel is much higher.

I first found out this when i listened to a track with Captain Hook called Alternate Universe, that track has some parts with the sound going from left to right to left to right an so on. With iRC enabeled it dont go from left to right, it sounds from both channels at the same time and half of the sounds get lost, it just sounds as it would be recorded in mono.

If I'm listening to the same track in iTunes thru Amarra Symphony with iRC enabeled there is no problem, it just sounds great.

I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, i'm using the same filters that i'm using with Amarra Symphony and iRC.

Is it just me or Tidal sound quality thru SQ+2.2 went down the drain compared with the previous version? Now I prefer bypassing Amarra Sq+...

Hello peabreu and Frasse,

Welcome to the thread. Frasse, your English is fine. My Swedish is non-existent (smile).

Without getting into the specifics of either of your findings which are welcome at this thread to help members and hopefully to inform Sonic Studio with user feedback offered constructively, I concur that AsQ+2.2wiRC is a work in progress.

Having eschewed streaming from early on, I intentionally ignored Sonic Studio's AsQ programs even though I beta test for them (volunteer since 2011). My experience started with AsQ+2.2wiRC in beta. I, therefore, have no prior experience with earlier builds. Hence other member user's feedback is helpful to me in so far as the comments which either match my own experience or not.

I recommend you provide Sonic Studio with feedback to help them sort out the player's experience, if you care to. Posting here may or may not be monitored though I think they do monitor our threads. In my experience with Sonic Studio, there is a steady progression for improvement and innovation. Just read the threads devoted to other software player programs and updates and user experience and compatibility problems with various combinations of hardware and software synergies.

I am not making excuses for Sonic Studio. My own experience new as it is with AsQ+2.2wiRC is that it is off to a good start, BUT, whether or not it is ready for prime time, there is much improvement needed in my assessment. I compare to roon with Dirac Live (full) and with roon with TIDAL HIFI. My own investment as a volunteer is to acclimate my experience to the latest build of AsQ+2.2wiRC and provide feedback.

Your comments help us all. Hopefully, Sonic Studio will use our feedback in constructive ways to help them innovate AsQ+ and future builds. Otherwise, as peabreu indicated, users will find other programs to employ for their enjoyment of the music. I know Sonic Studio cares and is invested in getting right. That's been my experience with them. And getting it right is a progression of builds, feedback, innovations, and eventually a build arrives that is generally regarded as "good enough" for the enjoyment of music we love to enjoy. N'est-ce pas?

Thank you for your comments.

Best,

Richard

Hello peabreu and Frasse,

Welcome to the thread. Frasse, your English is fine. My Swedish is non-existent (smile).

Without getting into the specifics of either of your findings which are welcome at this thread to help members and hopefully to inform Sonic Studio with user feedback offered constructively, I concur that AsQ+2.2wiRC is a work in progress.

Having eschewed streaming from early on, I intentionally ignored Sonic Studio's AsQ programs even though I beta test for them (volunteer since 2011). My experience started with AsQ+2.2wiRC in beta. I, therefore, have no prior experience with earlier builds. Hence other member user's feedback is helpful to me in so far as the comments which either match my own experience or not.

I recommend you provide Sonic Studio with feedback to help them sort out the player's experience, if you care to. Posting here may or may not be monitored though I think they do monitor our threads. In my experience with Sonic Studio, there is a steady progression for improvement and innovation. Just read the threads devoted to other software player programs and updates and user experience and compatibility problems with various combinations of hardware and software synergies.

I am not making excuses for Sonic Studio. My own experience new as it is with AsQ+2.2wiRC is that it is off to a good start, BUT, whether or not it is ready for prime time, there is much improvement needed in my assessment. I compare to roon with Dirac Live (full) and with roon with TIDAL HIFI. My own investment as a volunteer is to acclimate my experience to the latest build of AsQ+2.2wiRC and provide feedback.

Your comments help us all. Hopefully, Sonic Studio will use our feedback in constructive ways to help them innovate AsQ+ and future builds. Otherwise, as peabreu indicated, users will find other programs to employ for their enjoyment of the music. I know Sonic Studio cares and is invested in getting right. That's been my experience with them. And getting it right is a progression of builds, feedback, innovations, and eventually a build arrives that is generally regarded as "good enough" for the enjoyment of music we love to enjoy. N'est-ce pas?

Thank you for your comments.

Best,

Richard

Thank you for the welcoming?

I have been around and read a lot on this forum for a couple of years, and now I felt it was time to step inside.

My intend to post about my experience of AsQ+2.2wiRC was to get people aware of some shortcomings with the program, my first impression was that it sounded very good and spacy, but after I played a couple of tracks I started to get suspicious of the sound and after the track by Captain Hook I definitivly felt that something was really wrong.

iRC by Dirac is doing a great work with my Amarra Symphony 3.0 ( i can't be without it ) and I hope as you say that sQ+2.2wiRC will be fixed in a future upgrade.

I have no doubt about it, Sonic Studio has always been good and quite fast with the upgrades.

Håkan / Sweden

Thank you for the welcoming?

I have been around and read a lot on this forum for a couple of years, and now I felt it was time to step inside.

My intend to post about my experience of AsQ+2.2wiRC was to get people aware of some shortcomings with the program, my first impression was that it sounded very good and spacy, but after I played a couple of tracks I started to get suspicious of the sound and after the track by Captain Hook I definitivly felt that something was really wrong.

iRC by Dirac is doing a great work with my Amarra Symphony 3.0 ( i can't be without it ) and I hope as you say that sQ+2.2wiRC will be fixed in a future upgrade.

I have no doubt about it, Sonic Studio has always been good and quite fast with the upgrades.

Håkan / Sweden

Hello Håkan,

Glad you decided to post and offer your comments. I, too, experienced mixed reactions to my introduction to AsQ+. I, too, maintain a positive perspective for the future of Sonic Studio's endeavors.

Our participation in this hobby places us amidst and in contact with the gamut of hardware and software products. How responsive the creators/innovators care to be bears a direct relationship to the success of a product.

The threads I have started are intended to be a resource for the members and a channel of communication to the creators who benefit from our feedback. And, hopefully, the presence of new and innovative products inspire a healthy competitive edge to making it right. I believe AsQ+ will get sorted out. For those of us who care to stay in it, the rewards will come. I demonstrate my gratitude by giving back in the ways that I can to help the creators help us.

Hoping the next build to come forward will improve on AsQ+ specifically as we have identified what is needed. It can take a while to reach that level of performance where the downsides are minimal or none at all. Clearly, they're not there yet.

Sonic Studio doesn't need to read minds, we're providing high quality feedback.

Best,

Richard

Sorry you're having issues with Amarra sQ+ with IRC. From your description of the mono sound, we did have a build out that had that problem. Please download and install Amarra sQ+ from the link below. Ensure you use this copy and not an earlier version of the installer:

http://downloads.sonicstudio.com/Amarra_sQ+/22/Amarra_sQ+_Release.2244.zip

Give this a try and if you have further problems, please write directly to us at [email protected].

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency