IGNORED

Amarra For TIDAL HIFI with iRC Present and Future.

Dear All,

I have been given the green light to assess Amarra For TIDAL with iRC which I have had for several days. I believe it will very shortly be released. As many of you know I have been a beta tester (volunteer basis) for Sonic Studio since 2011. And very recently, changed my perspective on streaming which I have eschewed from the start. And thus avoided any products or streaming services related to streaming.

Off topic: My life-time license to roon changed my perspective almost immediately. What followed was a purchase of a paid-for-in-advanced 7 month subscription offered at a slight discount for TIDAL HIFI (7th month for free and thereafter monthly charges at the prevailing rate). That was an easy course reversal. No regrets, or in the positive, glad I can be flexible. As I am writing this first post for this new thread, I am listening to Bill Evans' Friends Old & New, at 44.1 on my Dac, an album not in my collection and not easy to acquire.

For several days now I have been testing Sonic Studio's Amarra For TIDAL (with my HIFI subscription) which will soon be published with iRC enabled but for a cost. As I have a license for iRC which I employ with Amarra Symphony with iRC (latest build, of course), I am able to enable iRC with Amarra For TIDAL HIFI. Forgive me but I can not say that I know if this is accurate for everyone else. But I imagine this should be the case. Enabling iRC in the first instance with Amarra For TIDAL is costly. More than the price for iRC for Amarra Symphony. I guess this is the way of costs increases.

I performed a comparison with roon with TIDAL with and without Dirac Live. More about that later, please.

Amarra For TIDAL (hereafter "A4T") downloaded and installed without incident. Easy. The next step is to provide the program with subscription information in the settings tab for A4T. Relaunch A4T and voilá! I was well impressed with the ease of operations, which to date have been trouble-free, as in it just works, no interruptions, just non-stop play and very good SQ. I am sorry I can not say excellent. Why not?

For one thing there is the slightest trace of a "hiss" that I detected while standing close to my KEF Reference 107 (cirac 1986). By "hiss" I refer to something similar to a tape hiss, remember cassette tapes and early CDs that included the hiss. I rarely if ever, in fact never, detect that hiss with today's CDs except the very old CDs in my collection which have since been ripped to AIFF files.

Off topic: The same "hiss" I detect with A4T HIFI, I am now aware of with roon with TIDAL HIFI. If others do not detect the hiss with their systems, then I must, unfortunately regard this as my own experience. From where I sit, it's rarely audible, if at all. But close up...

I did not expect the quality of SQ I favor and love as Sonic Studio's sonic signature sound I receive from Amarra Symphony with iRC (hereafter "ASwiRC"). Still I am very satisfied with A4T. Very. Just not for critical listening.

The UI/UX is good. The overall look and feel allows for easy operations. Is the UI a stand-out? No. Is it aesthetically pleasing and eye-catching? No. But it's fine. Not on par with roon which for me is the cat's pajama's (banal no.2). Operations, settings, EQ, yes it offers an excellent EQ array of settings and they are presented with graphics that makes it easy to select.

Also, I love that there are meters which allow me to assess the recording levels and, thereafter, to adjust volume levels which is accomplised by a slider to doesn't stop at zero (0) but at +3. I love the meters as I do for Amarra Symphony, which I use all the times in regulating the Filter Gain settings for the iRC filters I made for each of my systems. Without the meters, clipping may be detected audibly rather than visually as well. Red is not my favorite color as far as meters are concerned. Though my equipment can tolerate red up to a point.

Just recently, Sonic Studio implemented iRC for A4T. Not because I asked for it. But I over the years I have asked for things that Sonic Studio adjudged as reasonable, good idea, yes! let's do it. And boom, bang, bing! Voilá! So I asked the Oracles at Sonic Studio if they would consider adding iRC to A4T. And the reply was ,"That's a good idea" (paraphrasing but not by much, smile). I blinked. And suddenly there was a missive, informing me iRC had been implemented for A4T. Wow! Thank you Oracles!

One will find that iRC is enabled in the EQ section. One must, of course, purchase an iRC license, and then activate iRC for A4T. There is a capacity for three (3) filters as opposed to iRC for Amarra Symphony which included four (4) filters as does Dirac Live for roon. Of course, I employed the filters I created for AS2.6 wiRC when it was in beta and Sonic Studio offered the integration of iRC (impulse response correction or impulse room control). Everything to implement and enable and get started is straight forward and easy. And it works flawlessly. Truly. I know others may have flashbacks of a different experience. But, my experience has been trouble-free since 2011. That's the way of it for me.

One adds a filter to the three available "filter gain box". The enabled filter number lights. There's a simple "on/off" slider. I added my library filter for my main system. And it immediately showed. I selected the Bill Evans's Friends New & Old, and selected play. One call click on the filter gain setting which defaults at "0.0" and that value is highlighted. This allows one to regulate the filter gain into minus values or one can slide the mouse over the value and increase the plus values for filter gain by half increments. I did both to determine that iRC was operational. As expected the direction of the values determined the SQ. Later, to test EQ settings, I chose Jazz. That is more subtle but it works. There are many EQ settings including for headphones. Visit Sonic Studio's website for the 411. I won't enumerate all the settings. I noticed M-500 as one as I own a pair of the KEF headphones. Audeze 2&3, Grado 1000, NE-700, Apple ear buds, Alpha Dog (what's an AD?), Mac Laptop Acoustic, Bass Boost, Custom. I lied, I mentioned nearly all of them. This is accomplished by a huge dial. There's also an "off/on" slide. To the left are all the menu selections, e.g. tracks albums, My XXX, Settings. The large dial in the middle and to the right a dynamic Graph that shows the EQ setting 32HZ to 13500Hz positions with colored dots along a continuum along the horizontal axis and +10 to -10 along the vertical axis.

Main page those menu setting along the left panel tab remain. Cover art is displayed accurately in a much larger window than is provided with Amarra Symphony. Time line. Meta data accurately displayed. All my files are AIFF there is no difficulty with the meta data. Admittedly not the case with ASwiRC which displays meta data inconsistently in Playlist mode.

Overall, A4T is a very, very good program. At a reasonable price point. If you do not have iRC, then the price point is costly at $450. The SQ is very good. The operations are transparent and trouble-free as this is my experience with my system. For the record, as I do with all programs I beta test for Sonic Studio, I have paid for each and everyone. In this way, I maintain my credibility with Sonic Studio and equally important, perhaps even more, with CA members. My way is to tell it like it is for my assessment. Nothing less. But this is my experience and I am only speaking for me and my system. I am happy to own A4T. I enjoy TIDAL HIFI.

In conclusion:

Compared to other streaming services, I am mostly ignorant. Except for Pandora (free) on my iPhone6 Plus. No comparison. TIDAL is the only service I am using and pay for. I leave that choice to CA member's province. Compared to roon which overall is incomparable in UI/UX and performance, though I prefer Amarra Symphony's SQ. But roon is excellent, nevertheless. The interface with roon and TIDAL HIFI is trouble-free. Nothing goes wrong. Nada! There's that tape hiss sound I refered to earlier in my findings that is common to A4THIFI and roon with TIDAL HIFI. Dirac Live like iRC I find as a very positive influence on streaming. It's not subtle, hence apparent and very useful. For those who eschew EQ, and impulse response correction for anything else or nothing or acoustic room treatments which I do not oppose but I can't accept them for my listening room and neither can my wife. Perhaps, when we renovate and I have a dedicated listening room, then I will call back ASC and follow through with Art Noxon who is a treasure house for these matters. But at a significant cost.

While the SQ is so close between A4THIFI and roon with TIDAL HIFI, as I have already acknowledged, or do so now, I give a slight edge to roon, but that is subjective. Yet it's my subjectivity, and I own it. I have said as much to Sonic Studio Oracles. In fact, it occurred to me to request that as they have done for ASwiRC, they add an optimization script for A4T. I just reported that to them today. Hopefully they will consider my request and the merits of doing so. I have not a clue whether that inclusion will make a difference. But how would I know that without beta testing an optimization script?

I can honestly recommend A4T and TIDAL HIFI without any hesitation. Thank you for your time. Thank you, Sonic Studio, well done, in my opinion. Whether one program included with roon is sufficient, and, therefore what need for A4T, I leave to you. I employ them both. And not miss one for the other. I like having choices even if they are considered redundant.

What matters most to me is the enjoyment of music. The music's the thing; the equipment seduces. I am seduced by both programs. Your move, Chief, to quote a line from Good Will Hunting.

Best,

Richard

Untitled 2 copy.jpg

Untitled copy.jpg

Pardon me! In paragraph five (5) of my initial post, I inadvertently left out that A4T queries one the first time for your TIDAL/HIFI or standard subscription information which after added is processed and apparently logs one in. The next step is to close A4T, and relaunch A4T. Your status re subscription is noted. That is all that is required to get going re TIDAL credentials and access to the TIDAL database of albums, etc.

If I created any confusion as originally written, sorry. This clarification should be sufficient.

Best,

Richard

Dear All,

My apologies for jumping the gun and publishing my assessment of the beta build for Amarra For TIDAL with iRC before the actual official publication. Hopefully, my review can be of value as a preview review. And,

If I have created any confusion by reviewing A4TwiRC just slightly ahead of its official release, I ask your indulgence. If you visit Sonic Studio's website/Support/Downloads you will not find this edition yet. A miscommunication on my part as a beta tester, resulted in publishing my findings prematurely.

I waited for the Lightning to strike me, but the Oracles at Sonic Studio were merciful, and I am still standing, appropriately repentant for dangling a program on the verge of release which was not my intention.

It won't be long. But I'll not compound my error. I recommend that for those of you who are interested in a trial period or purchasing the program, keep an eye on the website. For those members who already own an iRC license, A4T and Amarra sQ+ just gets better and better.

My bias for Amarra Symphony with iRC is well known so it's not like I am confessing something anew. Given the same Amarra engine that drives Amarra standard and Symphony also drives A4T and Amarra sQ+ with iRC implemented, it's the icing on the cake. And takes TIDAL HIFI up several notches.

My misstep will soon find firm ground. The rest will be up to you.

Enjoy the music, whatever the sauce...

Richard

Nice eval Richard. But for me, yawnnnn Sonic. Now, Roon and HQP, and perhaps Tidal, would excite me. It seems like everyone including myself are looking for a great sounding audio engine, and incredible User Experience music library. Not asking for much eh? Lol

Ask away!

At present, the answers are coming forward prodigiously in various flavors and proposed alliances.

As long as we are asking, I am reminded of the closing scene in Back To The Future -- [last lines]

Marty McFly: Hey, Doc, we better back up. We don't have enough road to get up to 88.

Dr. Emmett Brown: Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

I understand your perspective completely. And what allows me to appreciate your perspective is that I own roon with TIDAL HIFI and with Dirac Live and HQPlayer (3.8.1). I do not own the V.2X editions of Audirvana Plus (just the earlier editions) or JRMC (any edition). I also own A4THIFIwiRC and Amarra sQ+wiRC in beta (as a beta tester). I expect official releases soon, but that is in the province of Sonic Studio.

Amarra's audio engine, for me, is to SQ as roon is to UI/UX. I was delighted to listen to a streaming service rendered by Amarra's audio engine and iRC, given I regard Amarra Symphony with iRC as my go-to software player for SQ in Playlist mode which automatically plays gaplessly and does not require iTunes integration. Yet, what was and what has arrived and what is coming positions us and this hobby at an extraordinary time and place all to our advantage. Ain't progress wonderful?

Admittedly, TIDAL HIFI, as nice as it is to stream music at 44.1, at least that is what my Dac's display reads, the SQ I hear from streaming does not render equally as satisfying as a ripped CD and high quality Hi-Res DLs, DSD/DSF. But I do not expect that, so I am NOT disapppointed. For the price of A4T which I feel is very reasonable, and given that I already own a license to iRC which I thoroughly enjoy in the mix and would not want to do without, that by itself is a winning combination for streaming.

Streaming. Not critical listening.

As with my music library collection, some albums I stream through TIDAL HIFI sound great and others less "great". It's readily discernible. My outcome is to evaluate music not presently owned and in my music collection. I tend to use Sirius XM when I travel by automobile. It is what it is. Even streaming sounds better, in my opinion.

In the past, to evaluate new music for purchasing, I have relied on the opinions of others, or the samples one can click on at the websites of various vendors. It's hit or miss. The audition experience with A4THIFIwithiRC takes the audition into a totally different (as in different good) experience level.

Yesterday, four new Bill Evans albums arrived from Amazon.com. I decided to listen to the Bill Evans The Paris Concert, Edition One, Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera, over A4THIFIwiRC before listening to my ripped CD just added to my music library converted to AIFF by XLD. I also own dBpoweramp, which I have come to appreciate. Instead of listening to the ripped CD in my library, I then streamed another Bill Evans I now own, Bill Evans, The Tokyo Concert, Eddie Gomez, Marty Morell. The production quality for each album sounded different with The Tokyo Concert better than The Paris Concert. I have yet to play both of the ripped CD to AIFF editions for comparison.

And to return to your perspective, given the level of satisfaction with roon, roon with TIDAL HIFI, roon with Dirac Live, HQPlayer, do not have the Geoff plugin that allows TIDAL to play through HQPlayer, I appreciate how go each of those players and combinations sound. Head to head with A4THIFIwiRC, they're close. The edge swings to one or the other.

For me, the significance about our hobby in its present state is that the choices have never been better or more varied including the price points to get there. SQ is an important criterion for me, perhaps the most important. But of late, the differentiation between the different players and players with streaming are compelling when other features attract to the degree of implementation, where the SQ is "good enough" and the features are persuasive, subjective as that can be. The playing field (pun intended) has changed dramatically.

My outcome in starting this thread is to provide a resource for a streaming product, I not only own, but use and to help other members along the way to making a decision as well as a resource for how-to etc.

My outcome is not to persuade or even contend with any certainty that one product is the better than the other. That I leave to the province of the member's discernment.

I admit, of late, that with the changing playing field of player products, what was straight-forward has now opened up the possibilities such that my overall evaluation is more "flexible" and accomodating without feeling deprived. For some, "this is it, period" may be their assessment. I do not argue with perception.

A4TwiRC is an excellent streaming product for rendition, features and enjoyment. It operates for me with a highly enjoyable level of satisfaction and is trouble-free and rock solid stable. Are there other combinations of equal or slightly better? I think so. And with trial session opportunities offered by all the creators, the mysteries are usually solved during the trial periods. I find them all splendid. And some are more splendid than others. A4THIFIwiRC is worthy of consideration.

You decide.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

PS

In my imagination, if I live long enough, I can see sitting near field surrounded by a holographic xD video image at a venue while the artist(s) are playing in surround sound as if I were actually present at the venue, club, studio, concert. There won't be a cover charge for repeated sets. And I will have to supply my own refreshments. Selections and controls may be verbally accomplished (Siri like). In the meantime...ain't we got fun?

• 3 weeks later...
Hello All,

Thanks for your interest in Amarra for TIDAL with IRC. Many people have been asking about a Remote app for Amarra for TIDAL and we are in process of making that happen. We are targeting the availability of the remote app for early October. Initial images of the EQ window and Now Playing window are below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20399[/ATTACH]

You can find up to date news and information regarding Amarra for TIDAL and all Amarra products at:

Amarra News & Reviews

Hello Amarra Support,

Welcome to the thread. And thank you for touching bases with your user base. It is always appreciated.

A question from a CA member was posted to me at the Amarra For TIDAL review located at the Home subforum. For an "official" response in preference to what my answer would have been, I posed the question to the Oracles at Sonic Studio. Their response appears below. I am sharing the response word for word. The only edit was made to personal or "other" information for me as a beta tester. "A4T" is my neumonic for Amarra For TIDAL which I coined and by now, I imagine, is recognized as such.

My Post and Question:

Quote Originally Posted by REShaman

Hello Brian,

Long time Amarra Symphony user. And recently Amarra For TIDAL and AsQ+. Your review is well done in my experience after a month or so with the program and TIDAL HIFI purchased even earlier. Setup was easy and almost transparent, provided one has a TIDAL subscription. The prepaid was a no-brainer in my opinion. The 7th month is free, after which the subscription rate returns to the 19.99 from 16.99.

I find the interface with TIDAL HIFI to be an easy one and immediate. I also appreciate that I can employ iRC with both A4T and AsQ+ given I already have a license for iRC since Amarra Symphony 2.6. iRC takes TIDAL HIFI a bit further along that differentiation you alluded to when comparing with 96/24 versus 44.1/16 provided with TIDAL HIFI.

Thank you for your take on the program.

Best,

Richard

Question in post:

Richard, what is the difference between Tidal + AsQ+ and Amarra for Tidal? I already have AsQ+ and can use it as the output from Tidal - does buying Amarra for Tidal get me anything more?

Reply from Sonic Studio:

As for differences between using Amarra for TIDAL and TIDAL app with Amarra sQ+ is as follows

Benefits of A4T:

1) Amarra for TIDAL preloads the files - so we are playing from RAM.

2) Amarra for TIDAL has the Amarra Engine integrated so the Whole signal path is controlled by Amarra.

3) Amarra for TIDAL is One application

- less overhead and system cycles dealing with 2 applications

4) The upcoming remote

Thank you for your attention. Hope the specific information is useful, which was my outcome in posting. A4T is a work in progress and a new build and a remote is expected in the near future (smile).

Enjoy the music,

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Dear All,

As I do periodically, I am just checking in with member users to encourage you to hang in there. I suspect the schedule/rate of innovation is a factor of the size of the company among other factors. Sonic Studio, I surmise, is a small company with many products. I mention this as an awareness not as an excuse. Amarra For TIDAL is but one of those many products.

The Tide's still out. Obviously, I am in the same boat as the rest of the member users, except I get to beta test so I am able to appreciate what's on the horizon for the enTIDALed users.

I provide Sonic Studio with unsolicited feedback as a reflection of my own perspectives and easily imagine those perspectives of many of the member users. One does not need to be prescient to anticipate what we'd all love to download/update for the present build. When will the Tide come in?

Speaking of the present build, A4T sounds and performs pretty good. Better than TIDAL in standalone. And the equal of roon with TIDAL. Yes? No? With the addition of Dirac's iRC (impulse response correction) and EQ, and for those of us who employ the HIFI edition of TIDAL, iRC and EQ further enhance the SQ. I also find that operations are trouble free, specifically, for my experience, that there are no dropouts or interference from clicks, pops, blips, etc.

Of course, I am intentionally ignoring the mention of the gorgeous remote app recently released by roon to control operations including TIDAL, ooops!

I gather that with Amarra Support's recent announcement that a remote app is in the offing in one of their rare posts earlier in this thread (growing older by the day -- Lord, please show them the way...) , we are all wondering when that offing will manifest into a download so we can operate A4T remotely from the vantage of a position other than "up close".

Recently, I stumbled on a TIDAL (HIFI) playlist which until now I never use in favor of albums. I am referring to the Rolling Stones Best Songs which contains 457 tracks, 30 hours, and which I have at times sat with while working or just plain listening to, so for those times a remote is not essential, but would be convenient. If you haven't already discovered this playlist, it's marvelous. And in HIFI with iRC and EQ set to Rock, it sounds darn good to me.

I'd love to report back what I know, but I am not able to, as you know. So I try the next best thing which either serves "us" as a temporary palliative or merely aggravates "us" waiting for what's been hinted at. For now, is it soup yet? No, it's cooking. The table's set. Snack on A4T until served up.

After all, I think we're entitled, n'est-ce pas?

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I am very happy with Amarra for Tidal and Amarra SQ+.

I did not buy the IRC Option, as I have a license for Dirac Live.

I use Amarra SQ+ together with Qobuz.

Is there a notable difference in using the IRC Options in the Amarra Products compared to the Dirac Live Option?

Thank you

Franz

Hello Franz,

Welcome to the thread.

As you know, Dirac SE, is the designer of both iRC and Dirac Live and other related products. iRC has been licensed by Sonic Studio for integration with Amarra Symphony and now with Amarra For TIDAL and AsQ+.

I also own a lifetime license for roon and Dirac Live (Full) among the many other software audio player applications. The responsible (and obvious) response to your query requires me to recommend you compare Dirac Live and iRC which I believe can both be trialed.

I am not familiar with Dirac Live when employed with Qobuz. In my experience roon with Dirac Live (Full) renders enhanced SQ than without Dirac. In my experience roon with AsQ+wiRC (latest build, 2255) also makes a difference. PLUS, with AsQ+, one has EQ, 13 filters, and a 4-band parametric EQ. There is also an Audio Control adjustment, but I typically (never) do not use it. Dirac Live (Full) does not have the same DSP as AsQ+wiRC.

Given the vagaries of production quality, I find that when in the past I ignored EQ, but when iRC was integrated, I purchased a license and now employ it routinely. As Dirac Live and iRC are not interchangeable, when I purchased a lifetime license for roon and decided I wanted Dirac Live (Full). I have the flexibility of using either synergies.

I do not regret any of my purchases. I can also play roon with Dirac and TIDAL HIFI or roon with TIDAL HIFI and AsQ+wiRC. With either synergy, the improvement is manifest.

Perhaps, I am intentionally avoiding reaching a conclusion that would best be reached through your own discernment. I can also appreciate that having purchased Dirac, the cost not unsubstantial, purchasing iRC would also result in an expediture that is also substantial. However, I will offer this opinion, both Amarra For TIDAL (with HIFI or without) and AsQ+ are much improved with iRC notwithstanding that both applications provide EQ controls with or without iRC. I would not want to be wthout iRC with any of the Sonic Studio Amarra applications. I do love roon with Dirac (Full) but I miss not having the EQ potential when needed or preferred. Perhaps the future will offer more choices. For example, roon is either contemplating or already in the process of integrating HQPlayer with roon, however that will work. I happen to own HQPlayer.

I also wish both iRC and Dirac Live would work with DSD files. But for the time being, I use DSDMaster to convert DSD tracks to PCM formats and sample rates with BitPerfect's DSDMaster. Options!

Realize my reply may be more than you wished for. I'll conclude with a calculated answer to your query in your final sentence: iRC and Dirac Live are comparable; however, for the time, Dirac Live is (Full) is presently limited to 192/24, whereas iRC is NOT. Is that important to you? iRC is integrated with Amarra programs that provides EQ controls whereas Dirac Live does not. Is that important to you? Both iRC and Dirac work with TIDAL (HIFI) and roon but iRC not in standalone with roon, i.e., must accompany an Amarra application. Dirac won't work with A4T or AsQ+ as far as I know as Dirac Live is not designed to.

Did I answer your question? Even remotely? (smile). Look forward to your findings should you care to assess the possibilities and compare or join in. In either case,

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hello Richard

Thank you for your answer.

Can an IRC license for Amarra Tidal be used for all other Amarra Products, or do I need to buy licenses for all their products?

I cant compare Amarra with all the possible choices you find in your setup.

Dirac Live works with Amarra for Tidal. The Integration EQ Options with or without IRC is my question.

Let me be clear: Results with Dirac Live + Amarra Tidal Hifi and SQ+ are really satisfying.

But I cant judge Amarra IRC plus EQ Option.

I didnt check if I can use the Dirac Filter Files in Amarra for that ICQ Option.

Thanks Richard

Franz

Hello Franz,

You're welcome!

First the easy question: Once you purchase a license for iRC that license entitles you to use iRC with Amarra products. In other words, you do NOT need a separate license for each application.

Apparently, I am used to iRC with Amarra products that I either forgot or never engaged Dirac Live with either A4T and AsQ+. Or did not even know Dirac Live and Amarra For TIDAL/AsQ+ were compatible. If that is the case; and, I am not doubting you, I have never used Dirac Live with those Amarra applications. Sorry for missing that utility.

Can you not trial iRC with either A4T or AsQ+? Are you sure? To be sure, I just visited Sonic Studio's website at iRC Impulse Response Correction and you will find that you can do the following:

Add iRC to Symphony Add iRC to Amarra sQ+ Add iRC to Amarra for TIDAL

$389 USD $450 USD $450 USD

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 5.20.37 PM.png

And, sorry, but refresh my memory or educate me in the first instance, ICQ option means what? I am just not familiar with ICQ at all. Just for the record, filters created in Dirac Live are not usable in iRC and vice-a-versa. That I can attest to.

Hope some of this was useful.

Best,

Richard

Thank you, Richard

The Information provided is very helpfull.

Franz

Happy to help out as much as I am able. A4T is a work in progress. What isn't? There's more on the way, but I am not free to disclose. However, the more on the way, is worth the wait. But that's merely my opinion. When what's on the way arrives, then one will be able to discern for oneself the value of the wait and the weight it offers in connection with using the product. Thank goodness I only have to test the application. I can stamp my feet, yell, complain, applaud, whatever. And so far since 2011, all's well that end's well. Applause seems to be consistent with a few "get it right" along the way. Typical as far as I am concerned. Show me an application that doesn't need a helping hand to get it right. Whatever's coming is just around the corner.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Jeez, am I the only one that can't IRC with Amarra for Tidal (I do have the license and works great with Symphony) when I enable iRC the sound gets all unbalanced to one side of the stage, completely useless and no word from Sonic support enquiry… not happy at all.

Hello peabreu,

Thank you for letting us know of your problem. From my experience, I have never experienced your situation and would not even venture a guess as to what may precipitate the unbalanced signal. If as you described iRC is working with Amarra Symphony but not correctly with A4T are you using the same filter for both applications? Although I beta test the application, all I do is report back my assessment and experience. Problem solving I leave to Sonic Studio and Amarra Support to sort out. Then when a solution is reached, posting back at the thread is useful for the rest of us to appreciate what went wrong, what it took to make it right.

It would appear two things are wrong: 1. iRC not working correctly with A4T; and 2. Amarra Support not responding in a timely manner if I understand you correctly. In both cases Amarra Support is needed.

Frankly, I find it distressing to learn from you that so far Amarra Support has not even responded to you, if only to acknowledge they are aware of your problem and will provide you with a time frame to get back to you.

I am sorry I personally can not be of any help other then to sympathize with your situation which doesn't really do much to fix what may be broken. This is not the first time that as a beta tester and Amarra enthusiast, that I feel quite put out by what may be poor support for the customer base. And, really, there's no good excuse for this.

I know Sonic Studio monitors these threads. The help sign is out and the next move is their move. Where are they? Great good will? Not! Calling Amarra Support, please respond to a member user in need...

Best,

Richard

Are you listening?

Some of us need your help. The sooner the better. N'est-ce pas? While you're monitoring these threads, stop by roon Labs if you need a model for how to conduct support and deepen the good will. Their response time is quite different and highly responsive to their customer base or anyone employing their applications, i.e., trial.

I am not a beta tester and customer since 2011 by accident. I love Amarra. So return the love and take care of the problems member users are encountering whether or not the fault is ours or yours. What's the difference. We're customers. HELP!

Best regards,

Richard

'

Just for the record, are you both employing the latest builds available from the Sonic Studio/Support/Download page? There has to be a trigger for having the same problem with two different systems. Wonder what is the common denominator.

I used the downloaded build for a time. But I am ahead of that now with the latest beta build. The builds all worked with iRC on my system. Only mentioning this as a contrast frame. In your case, it's not what works with my system, it's what doesn't work with your system, build and what makes that so.

How about the iMeasure application for iRC to make those filters? The build 1.04 that came with AsQ+/A4T for iRC filter creation? Merely asking to gather information.

Are there other members who are also experiencing this problem with channel level sound differences? If so, feel free to let us know.

This is so odd, as I am experiencing the best playback from A4THIFIwiRC to date. But, then, there's always something for some of us. Now to sort that something out so we can get on with enjoying the programs without delay.

Sorry for your troubles,

Richard

Make it three who have experienced the same problem: iRC filter used in Symphony works fine. When I try to enable it in SQ+ the soundstage shifts left and the sound quality is not good. I'm using the same filter, latest software versions. Little help!

Hello rsorren1,

As this is a A4T thread, and there is a AsQ+ thread, will appreciate if member users post at the thread devoted to the topic and not post silly-nilly. Nothing personal. Just creates confusion. Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Best,

Richard

Sorry. Post #18 and #20

Hello Ralph,

Please excuse the typo - silly - what was intended was silly - my iPhone just changed the word willy again to silly. The meaning of my communication was other than the way you received it. Words matter. Typos or other. My apology for the typo. As for the intended communication, thank you for posting about AsQ+ at the thread devoted to that application.

With appreciation,

Richard

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed response, we were away at Rocky Mountain AudioFest this weekend, demoing the Windows version of Amarra for TIDAL and the Amarra for TIDAL remote. Both of those are just around the corner.

Regarding the issues folks are having with IRC in both Amarra sQ+ and Amarra for TIDAL. We have identified the problem with only one channel being filtered and are testing a resolution. We expect to have an update available shortly to address the issue and we do appreciate your patience.

Hello Amarra Support,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Best,

Richard

Amarra one way or the other still does NOT WORK. Try to make a measurement in iRC, save it, and try to load a target curve you just made. Does it crash? Yes it does. Try to unlock the two channels in the iRC. Does it crash? YES it does. Maybe A are working on an App or a WIN version or whatever. I would recommend get the software, which in no ways is cheap, to get running. Oh by the way, when I load one of the three possible (and just made) target curves into SQ+ or AfT I don´t have the problem with +6 dB on my left channel. Now its on the right channel, the problem thats is. Amen. I am out of here, for good

Hello KnockKnock,

I am sorry to learn even the link furnished by Amarra Support was not helpful. I can appreciate your frustration. It's always curious when "NOT WORK" for one member "WORKS" for another. Apparently, something's amiss. Having accomplished the very outcomes you sought not to far in the time distance, and producing filters that are working for me, I wonder what the difference is that makes the difference. Especially after Sonic Studio acknowledged that there was an issue but that it was addressed.

Over the years, reading the threads at CA, there are those of us who are confronted with an issue that has not yet resolved itself. And, with seemingly, no resolution at hand or a way to get there, one decides it's not worth pursuing to a cure. I was hoping given your outreach to Sonic Studio that there would be a method for trouble-shooting. Your last post confirms this has not taken place. I am sorry to read about your exit from the program. Was hoping for a better outcome for you.

I may have lost track about this, but is Flavio (flak at CA) of Dirac SE of any help to sorting this out? Sorry for your troubles.

Best,

Richard

Dear All,

The future looks rather desirable given my latest experiences. Protocol requires that I follow the lead from Sonic Studio. Perhaps, those of you who visited RMAF and might have seen a demo for Amarra For TIDAL and related applications already know what is on deck.

What I can validate without jumping the gun is that Amarra For TIDAL HIFI's latest beta build is producing the best SQ I have yet to hear from any streaming program combination, i.e., TIDAL HIFI with XXX player. Admittedly, I have not heard Audirvana Plus V.2.XX and TIDAL HIFI (if that is a working combination). Mention this only so as not to be careless with my remarks/findings. A4TwHIFIwiRC is extraordinary for a streaming program as to SQ and EQ and one other feature. But I'll wait for an official announcement. I know you will be very pleased.

I am. Very, very, very...

Enjoying the music,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Any news of the Remote app for Amarra Tidal?

Tommy

Hello Tommy,

Yes. But my lips are sealed. Given the protocols I follow as a beta tester, best if I wait for Sonic Studio to announce the official release. Do not know when the time will arrive.

My guess? You'll be (very) happy (you didn't think I was going to guess the date, did you? smile). Keep the faith. It just keeps getting better...

And,

Enjoy the music,

Richard

• 1 month later...
After a recent decision to reinstate my TIDAL subscription, the quest for the ever-subjective "best sounding" implementation was on. Already in possession of a license for ASw/iRC and sQ+, the obvious was to test the A4T waters. First I needed to play (so to speak) so I tried these various TIDAL implementations:

1. iOS app streaming to ATV2
  2. iOS app streaming to my Mac via Airfoil
  3. the basic Chrome browser and sQ+ combination
  4. iPhone 4S (via CCK) direct connection to DAC
  5. the TIDAL desktop and sQ+ combination

#5 was easily my favorite, followed by #1 (believe it or not). #3 sounded quite good but would not play nice with iRC engaged. #4 sounded good but was somewhat inconvenient.

Then Sonic Studio sent me an offer for A4T I couldn't resist. No contest. Hands down winner. There is just something so seductive about the Amarra sound and with iRC engaged, it's just .. fantastic. A4T has played without stutter or glitch and simply works better than #5 on my list. This makes TIDAL a keeper for me.

afterthought: hopefully the iOS remote arrives soon.

Hello Melvin,

That's reaffirming! Although there is an overlap essentially with AsQ+, I find myself launching A4TWHIFIwiRC when engaging TIDAL HIFI. Perhaps it's beta testing the remote app that got me hooked. Perhaps it's also the SQ that got me hooked.

When in roon do as the roonians do. Then, it's AsQ+ wiRC

to be continued

Hello Melvin,

That's reaffirming! Although there is an overlap essentially with AsQ+, I find myself launching A4TWHIFIwiRC when engaging TIDAL HIFI. Perhaps it's beta testing the remote app that got me hooked. Perhaps it's also the SQ that got me hooked.

When in roon do as the roonians do. Then, it's AsQ+ wiRC

to be continued

As I was posting, when in roon and employing TIDALwHIFI then AsQ+wiRC.

With either program, iRC and HIFI deliver the best TIDAL HIFI has to offer.

Without violating NDA, which I observe informally, the remote app adds even greater value to A4TwHIFIwiRC or not. Don't know what is holding up the release of the remote app for A4T. Perhaps the App Store hoops for releasing an app.

Just as you reached the decision point to purchase A4T based on direct experience, I concur based on my own experience and the SQ is addictive. I would recommend purchasing A4T now. If only for the SQ, and the trouble-free use I experience. Whatever Sonic Studio decides for the remote app, i.e., to charge or not to charge, the advantage provided with the remote app is obvious.

Just to remind All, I purchase all that I beta test and my assessments are neither compromised nor self-interested. Good news travels fast.

Thank you for posting.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Hi Richard,

The overlap with sQ+ which you mention is something that gave me pause initially. After all, why spend more than one has to, no? An overlap exists but the tight integration gives A4T a very noticeable edge over sQ+ used in combination with another app. The good part is sQ+ is still a most useable app for me. I will continue to use it in conjunction with iTunes, for example, which I use mainly for it's radio streams. It's all good. For us.

Hello Melvin,

Precisely. I might choose AsQ+ while in roon to use the presets/EQ and iRC with TIDAL HIFI. The advantage is discernible. Or launch Dirac Live.

Or, not, and just launch A4TwHIFIwiRC. Graphics for the remote app for A4T has improved. I find the combination of A4T and remote app stable. With HIFI the sample rate is 44.1/16. With AsQ+ the sample rate is not limited and extends to 384 with roon and iRC or if Dirac Live, 192/24 until that ceiling is pierced. So we have, in my opinion flexibility and choices and excellent SQ and iRC or Dirac.

The he only downside for me occurs when TIDAL has licensing issues and a favorite is no longer available, but A4T is NOT a factor when favorites disappear.

It just gets better and better.

More on the way...

Best,

Richard