IGNORED

Sonore μRendu

Mikes review is a snap shot in time. Since the post the DS has gone through several firmware updates each with mass approval. Also, I think it needs to be noted that Mike is a Lumin dealer. I don't think it's appropriate to compare either of these two solutions with a cheap SD card player. Finally, I don't see the Lumin or a cheap SD card player as competition to the Sonore Signature Series Rendu. Each has it's place and target market.....

Jesus R

I have the Lumin A1 and Directstream fed from the Aries.

The Lumin is outclassed by the DS on SQ without me saying that the Lumin sounds bad.

Also, the Lumin w/app just works.....

I would love to see a SoC diy item such as your Audiobyte project with simple (no mclk or dsp) i2s, or maybe sell a (downloadable) Sonic Orbiter image for one of the better SoC for use as NAA. Sort of along tge lines of how the sMS100 was implemented perhaps, but capable of dsd256? If there is anyone that can do it besides Jussi, it is you.

No expectations...

You can turn the OSF off on the Sonore Audiobyte. The Sonic Orbiter image is hardware dependent and it would be difficult for us to support a bunch of miscellaneous hardware. Besides I think we have something special on the hardware side of things with the mircoRendu. What output mode do you need DSD265 supported on?

Jesus R

so you are custom designing/manufacturing these motherboards to suit your needs exactly... have you ever thought about designing an audio mATX motherboard? a board with just the essentials for us... 4 lanes ram, a couple sata ports, a couple usb ports on individual hubs, etc, without all the extra stuff we never use. there is a lot of people that spend a lot of time trying to find the "perfect" motherboard! seems like you have the knowledge and skill to do such a thing?

That is a different approach. The microRendu is an endpoint/player/renderer that needs a server. In this approach the server side hardware is kept safely away from the audio room.

Jesus R

As an NAA.

You can turn the OSF off on the Sonore Audiobyte. The Sonic Orbiter image is hardware dependent and it would be difficult for us to support a bunch of miscellaneous hardware. Besides I think we have something special on the hardware side of things with the mircoRendu. What output mode do you need DSD265 supported on?

Jesus R

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

i realise im in the microRendu thread and the 2 implementations would be for completely different things.

in general i just think it would be a big hit among the computer audio folk!

But designing a full-function motherboard from scratch is a GIANT undertaking. Got a spare million dollars and staff of experienced motherboard engineers? ;)

But designing a full-function motherboard from scratch is a GIANT undertaking. Got a spare million dollars and staff of experienced motherboard engineers? ;)

It's also a huge risk:) You'll end up with all the usual computer audiophile add-ons like SATA filters, fan filters, PCIe cards and so on. I know you could build them into the boards, but they would still be needed. Then you need a crazy power supply to make it all worth doing. The microRendu is an exercise in simplicity and efficiency in design. BTW even though the microRendu is really small it has taken over a year of design on the hardware side only.

Jesus R

fair enough :)

so designing a purpose made board is easier than a standard one! or cheaper anyway :P

Anything with less parts will certainly be cheaper to design and manufacture. Especially, if you are making 10,000 units. The microRendu was not easy to design by any means. Designing small has a lot of challenges. Understand that as complex as the design is it would have been easier to make the device larger. You also have to factor in that we are incorporating new design concepts to improve the device at the same time.

Jesus R

Well neither is easy or cheap, but you are talking about something like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20435[/ATTACH]

versus something like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20436[/ATTACH]

The microRendu is smaller than the BBB. However, what is important is the 10 regulated zones feeding all the important regions of the board clean power and not so much it's size. Although, the size is also important with respect to directly connecting the microRendu to your device.

Jesus R

Do you mean that you intend for this to be attached with a solid adapter in lieu of a USB cable ala UTA Regen?

The microRendu is smaller than the BBB. However, what is important is the 10 regulated zones feeding all the important regions of the board clean power and not so much it's size. Although, the size is also important with respect to directly connecting the microRendu to your device.

Jesus R

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Jesus R

Makes sense as an all digital domain inside the "blackbox" function of the streamer. However where the rubber meets the road is at the physical interfaces

to connected equipment. Will the uRendu do any special hardening against less than perfect connected devices (power supply, ethernet, usb)?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Makes sense as an all digital domain inside the "blackbox" function of the streamer. However where the rubber meets the road is at the physical interfaces

to connected equipment. Will the uRendu do any special hardening against less than perfect connected devices (power supply, ethernet, usb)?

And it will play music:)

Jesus R

Jesus R

OK this is getting really exciting now. I took another look at the image in your signature link. It kind of looks like a silver REGEN with an Ethernet input. The small size is remarkable.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

OK this is getting really exciting now. I took another look at the image in your signature link. It kind of looks like a silver REGEN with an Ethernet input. The small size is remarkable.

Yes, same width and height as the REGEN case, but about an inch longer. We both get out cases from the same Japanese supplier's series. Jesus was kind enough to choose silver instead of black. :)

Yes, same width and height as the REGEN case, but about an inch longer. We both get out cases from the same Japanese supplier's series. Jesus was kind enough to choose silver instead of black. :)

I think it's only a few mm bigger, but who is counting:)

Jesus R