IGNORED

Sonore μRendu

I think everything we are going to find out about it at this point is on the web page linked to above.

Jesus mentioned that you can subscribe to updates - instructions on the website page.

Yes, I have already subscribed for the update information.

My question about supporting non-DoP native DSD on the HQP NAA is because you have to install libasound2 & kernel packages which are not included in the standard Linux NAA installation from what I can tell (per Miska's website). In other words, you have another step to do. I am sure that Jesus will include this but just wanted confirmation on this specific item.

Hello vortecjr,

Would this be linux based? or FPGA based? This seems like an extremely exciting product! one that I've been looking for. Although a bit similar to the Aries, but it looks simpler and I always think simpler the better.

Would it support NAA as well?

The Sonore microRendu is Linux based. I can also tell you we are not doing this to be similar to any other project. The goals are very specific and there are several new features incorporated into the design that make this product unique.

Jesus R

Yes, I have already subscribed for the update information.

My question about supporting non-DoP native DSD on the HQP NAA is because you have to install libasound2 & kernel packages which are not included in the standard Linux NAA installation from what I can tell (per Miska's website). In other words, you have another step to do. I am sure that Jesus will include this but just wanted confirmation on this specific item.

Sonic Orbiter has supported native DSD for some time now. The microRendu is intend to be preconfigured so no need to worry about having to install Linux libraries or patches.

Jesus R

I notice that the Web page lists "Teddy Pardo linear power supply" as a possible accessory. Would this be the Teddy9/2, or is the page referring to another current TP product or something that's not yet available? (Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm kind of dense when it comes to this power-supply stuff.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

There isn't an MSRP yet. The product is still in development.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

TP makes a range of PS's. We don't know which one it will be yet, or if it will be a special one for the micro; it can run on 6-9V, 2A

I'm sure when there is more info there will be info posted.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I notice that the Web page lists "Teddy Pardo linear power supply" as a possible accessory. Would this be the Teddy9/2, or is the page referring to another current TP product or something that's not yet available? (Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm kind of dense when it comes to this power-supply stuff.)

--David

That is the one we are considering...

Jesus R

DSCN3380[1].JPGHa,this is revision 3 for me! It is hard to see, but that is a copper sheet glued to Baltic birch. The split bobbin power transformers are underneath inside the walnut box. I fell hard for this transformer I/V and tore apart R2. This is a Joe Rasmussen variation with the best parts I could afford.

Mine started out on a piece of MDF and it's on revision 4-5:)

Jesus R

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20202[/ATTACH]Ha,this is revision 3 for me! It is hard to see, but that is a copper sheet glued to Baltic birch. The split bobbin power transformers are underneath inside the walnut box. I fell hard for this transformer I/V and tore apart R2. This is a Joe Rasmussen variation with the best parts I could afford.

VERY cool Forrest! :)

It is a bit of a kludge, but thank you. I figured that just building a prototype platform was best for a guy like me.

VERY cool Forrest! :)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

The Sonore microRendu is Linux based. I can also tell you we are not doing this to be similar to any other project. The goals are very specific and there are several new features incorporated into the design that make this product unique.

Jesus R

So, how will the micro rendu fit in against the rendu and especially the sonic orbiter? Will the USB out be similar quality as the SOtM card? Will there be a possibility for firmware/software updates?

Understood if you can't disclose this yet.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Jesus, is this because you prefer USB for i2s, or is for convenience?

Would it be feasible to have the DAC with the double input (i2s and USB) so one could compare both input types?

Mike: the way we are doing these DACs it would be a big compromise in performance to have two inputs. We are synchronous clocking, with the masterclock provided over I2S from the Signature Rendu, or from the Sonore USB interface in the case of the USB DAC. Any kind of switch in the I2S path, especially for a masterclock signal, is going to produce significant signal degradation. By having a single input DAC we avoid these problems.

One cannot fairly compare between I2S and USB, as the difference is going to be strictly determined by the quality of implementation, rather than by technical limitations of either way of doing things. Technically speaking, when the implementation is ideal, either I2S or USB has the potential for "perfect" performance. We do both interfaces very well at Sonore, and are getting fantastic performance from both.

These two DACs are not identical, so a comparison would be entirely unfair, also the USB version has the advantage of using the Sonore USB interface, and the custom digital filters on that, which are about ten times more sophisticated than the standard ESS chip filters the I2S DAC uses.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I don't know the "specific goals", but if I had an I2S capable DAC like the Directstream that is directly compatible with the I2S output of the Sig Rendu, I'd definitely buy a Sig Rendu.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20202[/ATTACH]Ha,this is revision 3 for me! It is hard to see, but that is a copper sheet glued to Baltic birch. The split bobbin power transformers are underneath inside the walnut box. I fell hard for this transformer I/V and tore apart R2. This is a Joe Rasmussen variation with the best parts I could afford.

Is that a Teradak USB reclocking board in the top left, connected to the Sonore USB to I2s board?

If so, that's the first time I've seen one of them in use. How old is it, how well do you find it works, and how did you buy it as I've only seen it on their Chinese site?

Good looking stuff, though.

And good to here more details like the possible power supply, as the Teddy units are great performers without the Paul Hynes prices. Really looking forward to some more details, any ETA on updates?

Mike: the way we are doing these DACs it would be a big compromise in performance to have two inputs. We are synchronous clocking, with the masterclock provided over I2S from the Signature Rendu, or from the Sonore USB interface in the case of the USB DAC. Any kind of switch in the I2S path, especially for a masterclock signal, is going to produce significant signal degradation. By having a single input DAC we avoid these problems.

One cannot fairly compare between I2S and USB, as the difference is going to be strictly determined by the quality of implementation, rather than by technical limitations of either way of doing things. Technically speaking, when the implementation is ideal, either I2S or USB has the potential for "perfect" performance. We do both interfaces very well at Sonore, and are getting fantastic performance from both.

These two DACs are not identical, so a comparison would be entirely unfair, also the USB version has the advantage of using the Sonore USB interface, and the custom digital filters on that, which are about ten times more sophisticated than the standard ESS chip filters the I2S DAC uses.

Thanks Barrows, I appreciate the explanation.

So, how will the micro rendu fit in against the rendu and especially the sonic orbiter? Will the USB out be similar quality as the SOtM card? Will there be a possibility for firmware/software updates?

Understood if you can't disclose this yet.

The Signature Series Rendu is the finest audio gear we have made. It's the finest audio gear we have made because it does not use off the shelf general purpose motherboards. I started the Rendu series because I wasn't satisfied having to constantly deal with the short falls of general purpose motherboards. When you use a general purpose motherboard you get components on the board you don't need or want, you have to add filters, you have to use add on cards, etc. I know I'm preaching to choir because you guys have been dealing with these very issues in your personal builds. Like you, I wanted to get away from masking the problems and instead focus on addressing them at their core. The Signature Series Rendu is a world class SPDIF/i2s source bar none and I'm very proud of it. The microRendu is an extension of this concept and will fill the void by bringing a world class USB output to the series.

The Sonore Sonic Orbiter will be discontinued when the microRendu is officially launched. The only affects the hardware as the software will remain under development for the microRendu.

Jesus R

It's the finest audio gear we have made because it does not use off the shelf general purpose motherboards. I started the Rendu series because I wasn't satisfied having to constantly deal with the short falls of general purpose motherboards. When you use a general purpose motherboard you get components on the board you don't need or want, you have to add filters, you have to use add on cards, etc. I know I'm preaching to choir because you guys have been dealing with these very issues in your personal builds. Like you, I wanted to get away from masking the problems and instead focus on addressing them at their core.

Way to go, Jesus. DSD up to 256 or 512 is fine with it?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Is that a Teradak USB reclocking board in the top left, connected to the Sonore USB to I2s board?

If so, that's the first time I've seen one of them in use. How old is it, how well do you find it works, and how did you buy it as I've only seen it on their Chinese site?

Good looking stuff, though.

And good to here more details like the possible power supply, as the Teddy units are great performers without the Paul Hynes prices. Really looking forward to some more details, any ETA on updates?

That is an Uptone Audio Regen connected to the Sonore Audiobyte. The Regen doesn't re-clock the Sonore Audiobyte....it regenerates the USB signal.

Best,

Jesus R