IGNORED

Connection question

I've change my DAC to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. It's a small device, and it has four inputs:

Digital optical (Toslink)

USB

2 x Spdif RCA jacks

I'd like to be able to have three devices connect to it:

My iMac, which is using a Toslink cable

My MacBook Pro, which connects via USB

My CD player, which has a Toslink output

As you can see, there's only one Toslink input on the DAC, and only one USB, so the only way I can have all three devices is if one connects via SPDIF. Is there any way I can convert either Toslink or USB to SPDIF? I can't find any such converter on Amazon (other than Toslink > analog audio).

Related: why would it have two SPDIF inputs? What kind of devices have SPDIF outputs?

Thanks.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

What about a TOSLINK switch? Attach multiple TOSLINK cables as input then select which one to output?

C2G 28734 3-Way TOSLINK Digital Audio Selector Switch - Newegg.com

Not sure how a switch might affect SQ.

Eric

Ubuntu Linux box (i7-12700K, 12 cores, 32GB RAM, Intel X520-DA1 NIC, HQP Desktop) > fiber > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber > fitlet2 (HQP Embedded OS - NAA) > T+A DAC8 DSD > Rogue Audio DragoN > Klipsch La Scala — digital volume control with HQP, DSP with HQP convolution 

That gets finicky, and it's yet another device. One reason I switched to this DAC is because, putting it on my desk, I can select which source it uses easily. I had an older DacMagic before, and it only had one input. I don't need the CD player to go through the DAC, but it seems like it would be a bit better if it did. It would mean that I wouldn't have to worry about changing the source on my amp.

Yes, I know, this is a first-world problem, but this is for the stereo in my office, and I really want things to be as simple as possible. To be fair. I don't use the CD player much, but it would just be a bit easier if it went through the same device.

I could also get a different DAC, but it doesn't look like many in my price range have more than two inputs. Though I was considering getting a DAC that has a headphone amp in it...

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Eric

Ubuntu Linux box (i7-12700K, 12 cores, 32GB RAM, Intel X520-DA1 NIC, HQP Desktop) > fiber > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber > fitlet2 (HQP Embedded OS - NAA) > T+A DAC8 DSD > Rogue Audio DragoN > Klipsch La Scala — digital volume control with HQP, DSP with HQP convolution