IGNORED

Ceiling fan and subwoofer WTF?

I run a ceiling fan in my living room (both in the summer and winter -- the latter in reverse), so it is on a good deal of the time. It is a very high-quality one that came with the house.

Today my sub started making a rather loud and disturbing rumbling sound. I didn't measure the frequency; I was more concerned with getting it to stop. I found when I cut power to the ceiling fan, peace was restored.

The fan is on a different circuit (the audio has its own dedicated 20 amp circuit). When I turned it back on, I was unable to reproduce the issue.

Any clue what might have happened (and how to prevent it)? I leave the sub on but idle. The rest of the system was off.

Yes, although it has 6 discrete speeds (12 if you count the reverse direction separately). I tried them all. I've had the house and fan for over 5 years, and the sub for over four, and never had this happen before, and I cannot seem to reproduce it.

Just kind of a wild guess. Some, not all, maybe not even most, but some fans use series connected capacitors for speed control. They use the voltage drop over the impedance of different capacitor values at 60 hz to control voltage across the electric motor. So, maybe you have a cap starting to go. However, if you start explaining how you had no idea how polluted the power to your sub was with cheap caps and asking if some of Alex C's caps would improve sound of your sub, I will disavow I ever mentioned it. You know posts like:

I changed my ceiling fan caps to teflon and now the bass from my sub has never sounded deeper, firmer, more natural or more nuanced. What caps would be optimum for sound quality in my ceiling fan?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On second thought, maybe I will start my own company.

Sounds of the Ocean Breezes audiophile ceiling fans. Using only the finest hand made oil caps with the purest natural fish oil. Each fan tuned for most natural resonances.

Different models will have names like, Virgin Island breeze, St. Thomas Bluewater Breeze, Copacabana Beach Breeze, Whitehaven Breeze, Lanikai Beach Breeze etc.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Sub isn't ported. Rel Serie R-218.

Got up this morning, and it was doing the same thing (constant low-frequency rumbling). This time the only thing that was on were the (LED) lights in the kitchen (which I have had for years). Turned them off. Turned them on. The sound stopped. So it had nothing to do with the fan per se. It is too early in the morning here to have any current generated from the solar panels. It is almost as if the thing is getting "stuck" and any old transient nudges it back to proper behavior. I am turning it off manually now.

Since it doesn't appear to be caused by other electrical gear, it might be helpful to know what the rumbling sound is.

If you could record or analyse what frequency the rumbling happens it might point to where to look further. Even a phone app like Frequensee would let you see what frequency this sub is putting out. Or recording a snippet with a phone or laptop would let you analyse the file in Audacity.

I'll do it next time I catch it in the act. I can't do anything to reproduce it. I have audiotools, so I can do a spectral analysis too.

Yeah, Audiotools would work fine. If nothing else, you would have a record of it to send to Revel. I would be none to happy if my Revel died just out of warranty after the issues with the first one. Maybe they would at least give you help figuring it out.

Rel.

But yeah. I actually wanted my money back, but they gave me a replacement instead. Originally I was going to buy two. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I also had to drive the thing back and forth to San Francisco several times. Their warranty doesn't cover shipping costs. It has been a total waste of time, well beyond what the price tag warranted.

Funny thing is, with room equalization, stereo sounds about the same whether it is on or off.

I've analyzed your posts (as in forum, not your actual subwoofer post (my guess is that would constitute home invasion)) and your issues stem from using cheap cables.

I have it in a brick wall surge protector, but again have had it for years like that.

The warranty on the sub (my second one -- the first was a lemon) just expired, so that is probably the direct causal agent.

The front end in the sub does filter out AC mains disturbances to a degree, perhaps one of the components knows when the 12 months are up and decided to show its true colours.

Could also be a change in ground potentials so as to create a ground loop in the subwoofer cabling, more noticeable on a sub with low frequencies and their harmonics causing more of a problem. Summer presents its own unique signatures sometimes.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Put it on Audiogon. Quit throwing good money after bad. Even if you post your problems someone will want it.

Edited to say, that's a half a road wheelset for your bike.

Oh, you mean the wheels are worth twice that of the sub?

This is definitely true. OTOH, you should hear the noise the freehub makes:

Makes a great ring-tone.

Oh, you mean the wheels are worth twice that of the sub?

This is definitely true. OTOH, you should hear the noise the freehub makes:

Makes a great ring-tone.

Wow, if it is that loud when riding it, I might need this afterwards.

Bill aren't you dying to setup a "Vegas style" shoot-out of subwoofer cables?:)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Wow, if it is that loud when riding it, I might need this afterwards.

BTW, was sitting outside earlier, and the katydids were far louder than in this video. Conversation in hushed tones was not possible. Very soothing nonetheless. Of course one of my favourite things this time of year is riding in my car with the top down. Katydids are loud enough to overwhelm you at anything below 50 mph. Maybe I should record some of them, and see if I could do insects with more realism. Ocean waves at the beach certainly were a big blast to record.

It is 60 Hz, and it appears to be associated with a loose speak-on connector, but I still don't understand why it comes and goes (but this is a characteristic hum you get if the single [sic] neutral wire isn't properly connected to ground) so I don't think there is a major problem with the internal circuitry.

It is 60 Hz, and it appears to be associated with a loose speak-on connector, but I still don't understand why it comes and goes (but this is a characteristic hum you get if the single [sic] neutral wire isn't properly connected to ground) so I don't think there is a major problem with the internal circuitry.

Okay, so that is in some sense encouraging. Grounding issues. Nothing like a resonance in the circuitry etc. It is puzzling that it is something that comes and goes. But in principle should be possible to trace it down, and make it go for good.