IGNORED

Audirvana 2.2 with iOS remote

I fear you are not :(

right today I started a trial of their hi-fi streaming and, less than hour later, I was about to actually subscribe "Sublime"

not at all interested in any other service/offer out there

Sublime is (was?) great, I saved quite a lot of money vs. the regular prices. If they really go bust, not only poor Damien worked his a.. of for nothing, but I really would miss the great choice of their online store and how great the streaming integration actually works.

Very sad.

I switched from TIDAL to Qobuz several months ago and never looked back. If you like classical and jazz, Qobuz is so much better. It's also been a real pleasure to use it with A+. One can only hope that someone will pick up the pieces without bulldozing what Qobuz has built. It may be just too small a subscriber base to interest Deezer or TIDAL.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

not sure about policies on CA (if inappropriate please remove) but... we all should at least sign this petition that was posted on Twitter (by Damien, I believe)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

By the way, hope the OT will be forgiven: I understand Damien and his family are OK.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi guys,

Is any of you using a network share to store SACD ISOs for use with Audirvana+ ?

Does the playback start immediately for any track or do you have to wait, like me, for many seconds during track bufferization ?

On my network, with Audirvana+, whatever the version 1.5 or newer, it's something like 30 seconds to open a track on a directly attached gigabit ethernet local network, and more than 2 minutes to open the same track on a slower wireless network. That's a problem, unless you don't change track too often...

Instead of that, a .dsf single track of similar size (say 130MB for example) is opened at full networks speed and starts to play after only a pair of seconds... That's the awaited comportment.

So whatever the network speed, gigabit ethernet or slower wifi, the bandwidth seems only used at 1/10 of its nominal network capacity during SACD ISO track bufferization.

Not having this problem when listening non-ISO files, I looked a little deeper at the network transport and I've seen 2 different kind of file bufferization, resulting in 2 totally different levels of performance...

A bit of network technic now...

- While reading a normal file, Audirvana+ manages to read a huge quantity of data at once, and in this way benefits of TCP window scaling, allowing large quantities of data to flow from the server before having to be handshaked (TCP ACK) by the client.

- While reading an ISO file, Audirvana+ accesses the file at a 4k byte block rate. Each block received has to be acknowledged by the client to the file server before the next one is requested, and so on... This introduces latencies that drop the network bandwidth to 1/10 of its capabilities.

As a consequence, these huge SACD ISOs can almost not be used on network shares, but instead rely only on local -noisy- large disks...

Damien and forumers, could you take a look at that and confirm this comportment ?

Snaril,

I have a network-attached HDD via ethernet where I store SACD ISOs. I also have an approximately 20-30 second load time on a wired network. The iOS remote also seems to be less responsive and take a while to refresh when playing ISOs.

I would not conclude that SACD ISOs can't be played via network, however, I listen to them one at a time, similar to listening to SACDs or LPs all the way through. Not sure if you have them included in playlists with multiple ISOs.

Wilson

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

You should try to convert your images...

.iso images, i put them now in ''iso 2 dsd'' (free software) to have separate .dff files.

http://dsd.sonore.us/iso2dsd_OSX_v6.zip

just click on the .jar and select your image :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

.iso images, i put them now in ''iso 2 dsd'' (free software) to have separate .dff files.

Will try it, thanks

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Brilliant, thanks a lot !

After exploring the different options, I'll be using these ones to generate the DSF files :

sacd_extract -2 -s -c -C -P -i <file>

-2, --2ch-tracks : Export two channel tracks (default)

-s, --output-dsf : output as Sony DSF file

-c, --convert-dst : convert DST to DSD

-C, --export-cue : Export a CUE Sheet

-P, --print : display disc and track information

-i, --input[=FILE] : set source and determine if "iso" image,

Nethertheless I think some things are lost during the conversion as the the files size doesn't sum up to the size of the ISO. That's a bit scary, embedded things are lost from the ISO, but I don't know what.

According to the .dsf file size, the bitrate of the .dsf is OK at 2.8mbit/s on each channel and they play well on A+, so I think that's OK.

I converted a handfull of ISOs, and sonically, at least on one ISO I know well, Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus, there's possibly something a little different in the DSF vs. ISO through A+, most noticeable in treble (I don't have a DSD DAC, so it is converting to 24/176.4). Have to listen to some more, but probably in a few days. Maybe I'm comparing to my memory of LP playback, so will have to do some direct comparisons later.

The loading time of DSF is less than half of that using the ISO, depending on file size.

Brilliant, thanks a lot !

After exploring the different options, I'll be using these ones to generate the DSF files :

sacd_extract -2 -s -c -C -P -i <file>

-2, --2ch-tracks : Export two channel tracks (default)

-s, --output-dsf : output as Sony DSF file

-c, --convert-dst : convert DST to DSD

-C, --export-cue : Export a CUE Sheet

-P, --print : display disc and track information

-i, --input[=FILE] : set source and determine if "iso" image,

Nethertheless I think some things are lost during the conversion as the the files size doesn't sum up to the size of the ISO. That's a bit scary, embedded things are lost from the ISO, but I don't know what.

According to the .dsf file size, the bitrate of the .dsf is OK at 2.8mbit/s on each channel and they play well on A+, so I think that's OK.

The ISO is the representation of the "entire" DSD, including its own internal data structure, that are no longer required once you split it up into single files. It's not true that the sum of the size of the single dsf files needs to be equal to the size of the ISO.

Sum(size_of_each_dsf_file) + size_of_ISO_object_internal_data_structures = size_of_entire_ISO_object

I'm having a couple of small issues.

1. After playing several albums in a row I'm starting to get skipping every 5-10 seconds. This is happening on dsd files. All my music is on a NAS. Closing Audirvana and restarting fixes the problem until I play several more albums and the problem returns.

using Mac mini with 8GB El Capitain

2. Using the remote app on my iPad I used to have smaller album art cover in the album view so I could see many albums at once. Now I just get 1 large album cover in album view. I didn't change anything I know of but don't see any settings for how this displays the album art size?

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

1. After playing several albums in a row I'm starting to get skipping every 5-10 seconds. This is happening on dsd files. All my music is on a NAS. Closing Audirvana and restarting fixes the problem until I play several more albums and the problem returns.

2. Using the remote app on my iPad I used to have smaller album art cover in the album view so I could see many albums at once. Now I just get 1 large album cover in album view. I didn't change anything I know of but don't see any settings for how this displays the album art size?

2. Just pinch gesture the screen like you would to shrink a picture.

Can't help on 1.

I'm having the same problem but with FLAC of different codecs, my Mac isheadless so restarting A+ is a pain. Had to stop using it today as it was stuttering/distorting on pretty much every song.

I've just posted a new thread about it.

System 1

Audio Note OTO SE Phono

Audio Note AN-j He

Mac Mini 2015 OSX 10.11, Roon

Chord Hugo

Systemdek iix 900 / Audio Note Arm One v2 / Goldring 1042

The files are extracted, not converted... it is like putting a cue file in XLD to extract the separate flac in a folder...

in the .iso image, you have not just the music but the covers also that put weight on it...

i always copy the covers on the newly made separate files folder. :-)

i have a DSD dac and they sound the same for me...

I have that Colossus SACD too :-)

Also some images have the multichannels and the stereo files...

so if you just extract stereo, you should have more than half weight at the end.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2. Just pinch gesture the screen like you would to shrink a picture.

Thanks but the two finger pinch gesture doesn't do anything.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers