IGNORED

Audirvana 2.2 with iOS remote

Just purchased Audirvana. I'm having a strange problem with ripped cd flac files.

At least 1 track is missing from my albums after adding to my library. All my hi res downloads and dsd albums are all fine. All my cd ripped flac tracks show up fine if I use HQ player. ????

Any suggestions? I ripped these CDs with XLD. XLD fills in the metadata so it should be correct. Example: On some albums audrivana lists two albums with tracks 2 thru 9 in the 1st album and track 10 in the second album and track 1 don't show in either album.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

Put that faulty folder out of is place in your hard disc...

you'll see Audirvana remove it from your playlist window instantly...

than, put it right in where he was and do a sync...

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Any suggestions? I ripped these CDs with XLD. XLD fills in the metadata so it should be correct. Example: On some albums audrivana lists two albums with tracks 2 thru 9 in the 1st album and track 10 in the second album and track 1 don't show in either album.

Ah, there's your problem. "Should be"...? Hah!

Whether it's XLD or iTunes or any other app filling in metadata, that's only a starting point.

Those apps, and the data they're pulling from, are not 100% correct, sometimes not even close.

The only way to make sure Audirvana, or any other music player application, pulls accurate metadata from your music files, and therefore lists albums correctly, is for you to look over what XLD has filled in, make sure all is okay -- such as number of discs, number of tracks, album title being exactly the same for each track in album, et cetera -- proofread all the details. And then edit as needed.

XLD or iTunes or any other app filling in metadata is your friend, not your god.

Dave, who supposes that editing metadata which he's done for years comes more easily to some people than others

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Ah, there's your problem. "Should be"...? Hah!

Whether it's XLD or iTunes or any other app filling in metadata, that's only a starting point.

Those apps, and the data they're pulling from, are not 100% correct, sometimes not even close.

The only way to make sure Audirvana, or any other music player application, pulls accurate metadata from your music files, and therefore lists albums correctly, is for you to look over what XLD has filled in, make sure all is okay -- such as number of discs, number of tracks, album title being exactly the same for each track in album, et cetera -- proofread all the details. And then edit as needed.

XLD or iTunes or any other app filling in metadata is your friend, not your god.

Dave, who supposes that editing metadata which he's done for years comes more easily to some people than others

I found the problem. It appears that I had XLD setup to create a cue sheet that is saved in the album folder. For some reason this cue sheet trips up Audirvana. I removed the cue sheets from the album folders and re synced and all is good now.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

I'm having trouble with Audirvana and artwork. If I update the artwork in iTunes, it never updates in Audirvana. I have tried resyncing and it doesn't work. The only way I can get the artwork to update is to remove the library entirely, and start again from scratch, which is of course far from ideal. I've tried both methods of syncing, using the iTunes library sync file, and the folder sync option in Audirvana.

Am I doing it wrong? Surely if the track metadata updates if I make any changes (which it does) the artwork should update similarly?

Cheers,

John

P.S. If I choose to delete the iTunes library sync file in Audirvana's options screen, it still remains in the text window there...

27" iMac Retina 32 GB RAM / iTunes / Audirvana / Chord Mojo / Revox A77 mk.4 / Garrard 301 SME 309 / Naim Nac 12 & Nap 160 / Quad 34 & 606 / Mission M72 speakers.

I know nothing of iTunes. But as I understand, iTunes does not embed the artwork in the audio file. Thus, A+ does not see it.

As mentioned above, you would need to use A+ or another app (other than iTunes.

Yate seems to be amongst the most popular. Metadatics, TAG and KID3 are other options (that embed the artwork In the file).

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I'm having trouble with Audirvana and artwork. If I update the artwork in iTunes, it never updates in Audirvana. I have tried resyncing and it doesn't work. The only way I can get the artwork to update is to remove the library entirely, and start again from scratch, which is of course far from ideal. I've tried both methods of syncing, using the iTunes library sync file, and the folder sync option in Audirvana.

Am I doing it wrong? Surely if the track metadata updates if I make any changes (which it does) the artwork should update similarly?

Cheers,

John

P.S. If I choose to delete the iTunes library sync file in Audirvana's options screen, it still remains in the text window there...

This has been discussed repeatedly here. iTunes does not automatically imbed the cover art into the track's metadata. It stores it separately in its own proprietary data file. However, using Doug's AppleScripts with iTunes plug-ins, you can imbed the cover art permanently into each track, and also save it as a standalone .jpg in each album folder where Audirvana will see it.

I do not use Audirvana in iTunes mode, or Audirvana's own proprietary library management, I just drag-and-drop my music files into the A+ play queue from a list in the Finder. However, I've always used iTunes to tag and manage my library, so I'm reasonably sure that this is the crux of your problem.

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes - Managing Artwork

Does Damien have these FAQs on his site?

If not, it might help a lot of people out ....

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

However, using Doug's AppleScripts with iTunes plug-ins, you can imbed the cover art permanently into each track, and also save it as a standalone .jpg in each album folder where Audirvana will see it.

I also use iTunes to rip, tag, and manage my library. And instead of using one of Doug's AppleScripts to embed the cover art permanently, I simply copy the the album art image within a graphics application -- such as my all-time favorite, Graphics Converter, where I also edit the cover first -- and then paste the image into the "Multiple Item Information" Artwork box for all the tracks of any one album, as shown here:

itunes_artwork_01.jpg

And even though I use Audirvana in standalone mode -- not integrated with iTunes, but simply pointing to the folder where iTunes saves all of my music -- all album covers appear in Audirvana, both on the computer and in the iOS Remote app.

So, I'm not clear why you need to "also save it as a standalone .jpg in each album folder where Audirvana will see it."

I don't do that, and yet Audirvana does see all my covers.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Dave, who someday wants to do an illustrated step-by-step guide to creating and managing his library since he does not have any problems with it unless he forgets to do something

Music is love, made audible.

So, I'm not clear why you need to "also save it as a standalone .jpg in each album folder where Audirvana will see it."

Dave, who someday wants to do an illustrated step-by-step guide to creating and managing his library since he does not have any problems with it unless he forgets to do something

some players need/use it to display thumbnails for album view

if A+ is the only player you're using... don't even bother ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Ditto. To my way of thinking, making sure that album art is always embedded in one's files is the preferable way to go, since you'll encounter the fewest related problems across different playback applications.

Can anyone point to playback software that doesn't read and display embedded art?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I also use iTunes to rip, tag, and manage my library. And instead of using one of Doug's AppleScripts to embed the cover art permanently, I simply copy the the album art image within a graphics application -- such as my all-time favorite, Graphics Converter, where I also edit the cover first -- and then paste the image into the "Multiple Item Information" Artwork box for all the tracks of any one album, as shown here:

itunes_artwork_01.jpg

And even though I use Audirvana in standalone mode -- not integrated with iTunes, but simply pointing to the folder where iTunes saves all of my music -- all album covers appear in it.

Your instructions are fully correct. However, I never said you "need to" also save it as a standalone .jpg so Audirvana will see it. What I way implying is that is just another of the many options Doug's Scripts offer, one I find particularly useful. The link I provided includes numerous other different scripts for managing album cover art, as well.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, if any. I want my suggestions here to be understood accurately.

Can anyone point to playback software that doesn't read and display embedded art?

not sure, but I believe software as "Audio Station" (pre installed on Synology NAS) doesn't actually read embedded art and only uses "cover.jpg" (or alikes) found in album folder

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

not sure, but I believe software as "Audio Station" (pre installed on Synology NAS) doesn't actually read embedded art and only uses "cover.jpg" (or alikes) found in album folder

Looks like the answer is here (though granted, not stated all that clearly):

"Only when music files are in the following formats can their cover art be displayed in Audio Station: MP3, M4A, M4B, WAV, FLAC, AIFF."

As I read it, if the embedded art is in another format that Audio Station supports, then it needs cover.jpg, front.jpg, etc., in the folder.

So that's one, sort of.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Ditto. To my way of thinking, making sure that album art is always embedded in one's files is the preferable way to go, since you'll encounter the fewest related problems across different playback applications.

--David

Just as a point of interest, I always embed as well. However, when ripping or fixing (usually older) metadata, I always set the option in the application I'm using (mp3tag, Picard, dBpoweramp) to automatically save the .jpg cover art in the folder just to have it so I don't have to retrieve it should something go amiss.

Case and point, I noticed an album not displaying the cover art. I verified the files in question through two editors and even Finder displayed correctly (e.g. more info), but A+ would not show the cover art for whatever reason. So I highlighted the files in A+ and dragged the art work from finder into A+ and saved it that way. That's not the first time that's happened.

My rig

A little confused at some of the replies here...

Yes of course I'm aware if one uses iTunes to search for the artwork, and display it, then it's not embedded but stored seperately. However I alway use the 'get info' command on an album, then drag artwork I've downloaded from whatever source, into the artwork area of the get info screen. The artwork is then written into the file itself/embedded. One can check this by looking at the music folder outside of iTunes to see if the m4a icons have the artwork. They do. And the artwork is clearly visible in any other music software I open.

As I said, Audirvana does not update to reflect any change of album artwork. This seems like a pretty basic oversight. It only works if I drag new or updated album artwork into the icon in Audirvana, and then Audirvana updates the files. One can also force a change by renaming the album in iTunes, which then auto updates in Audirvana, and then changing the title back again. It then displays any artwork changes made. It would be nice if Audirvana could display updated artwork automatically without having to use these 'tricks' though... I still use iTunes a lot for my iPhone and iPad, so it'd be nice for changes in one to be reflected in the other.

John.

27" iMac Retina 32 GB RAM / iTunes / Audirvana / Chord Mojo / Revox A77 mk.4 / Garrard 301 SME 309 / Naim Nac 12 & Nap 160 / Quad 34 & 606 / Mission M72 speakers.

@Damien: I'm realizing just now that "Album Artist" is not available as playlist criterion :-/

can you, please, add this one too?

headphones system:

Just as a point of interest, I always embed as well. However, when ripping or fixing (usually older) metadata, I always set the option in the application I'm using (mp3tag, Picard, dBpoweramp) to automatically save the .jpg cover art in the folder just to have it so I don't have to retrieve it should something go amiss.

I keep a separate copy of the JPEG or PNG, too, for the same reason.

Just as a note, when you "Open Folder As a Disc" in XLD, you can save out the embedded art work as a graphic. Just right-click on the thumbnail. You can also do this, and other related tricks, in Yate.

--David

1+

A little confused at some of the replies here...

Yes of course I'm aware if one uses iTunes to search for the artwork, and display it, then it's not embedded but stored seperately. However I alway use the 'get info' command on an album, then drag artwork I've downloaded from whatever source, into the artwork area of the get info screen. The artwork is then written into the file itself/embedded. One can check this by looking at the music folder outside of iTunes to see if the m4a icons have the artwork. They do. And the artwork is clearly visible in any other music software I open.

As I said, Audirvana does not update to reflect any change of album artwork. This seems like a pretty basic oversight. It only works if I drag new or updated album artwork into the icon in Audirvana, and then Audirvana updates the files. One can also force a change by renaming the album in iTunes, which then auto updates in Audirvana, and then changing the title back again. It then displays any artwork changes made. It would be nice if Audirvana could display updated artwork automatically without having to use these 'tricks' though... I still use iTunes a lot for my iPhone and iPad, so it'd be nice for changes in one to be reflected in the other.

John.

There is a bad new running on the web about our lovely Q...z !!!! really a bad new for those like me who enjoy good quality of Music. Tell that it is not true and that it will not happen....

DAPs : Astell&Kern AK380 - Cowon X9

IEM/Headphones : Shure SE846 - Denon AHD600 - Sony 1RNC

Amp. : Centrance HiFi-M8 LX XL4

Macbook Pro 2011 > Audirvana Plus 2 + Remote IOS App > Cable AudioQuest USB PEARL 1.5 > Speaker Sony SRS-X99

There is a bad new running on the web about our lovely Q...z !!!! really a bad new for those like me who enjoy good quality of Music. Tell that it is not true and that it will not happen....

My French isn't the greatest, but it seems like they have until Nov 16 to find an investor to step in and save them … or that's all she wrote. Pity. The only silver lining I can see is that a market shake-out could make it easier for the remaining competitor(s) to survive.

Someone please correct me if I'm misinterpreting what I'm reading.

--David

You can do it via the remote app, I think.

... create (smart) playlists using A+ Remote?

nah.gif

headphones system:

Someone please correct me if I'm misinterpreting what I'm reading.

I fear you are not :(

right today I started a trial of their hi-fi streaming and, less than hour later, I was about to actually subscribe "Sublime"

not at all interested in any other service/offer out there

headphones system: