Sign in to follow this  
Musicophile

Audirvana 2.2 with iOS remote

Rate this topic

Just to update forum readers, Qobuz seems to have a problem delivering streams to the USA in the evening USA east coast time. The A+ beta was working well for me during the day today, but this evening it's unusable. So I decided to just use the Qobuz player with Safari, and discovered that it also was struggling with very slow streaming. It isn't my internet service ... I can stream Netflix HD or download files at blazing speed. The problem appears to be with the Qobuz content delivery network.

This may account for why Damien is unable to replicate some of the issues I've reported. I've sent a more detailed note to Damien to see whether he can investigate this further.

This is my experience in the Miami area. I'd appreciate it if other Qobuz users in the USA could report whether they also have problems with Qobuz in the evening local time. Thanks.

Just for info, is now Qobuz officially supported in USA?

Freann... I think you rare right, time to bite the bullet and wipe the slates, importing the newly named hard drive from scratch. And I think it will work. BUT the fear here is that as soon as i modify the new mint library by adding music or changing metadata the sluggish behavior will reemerge. And while I can experiment each time I restore the testbed back to a responsive state, the fact that to do so takes a couple days to do the fresh music import, makes it an issue I would like to explore little before having to go through two many iterations of instal/remove/reinstall to try and nail the issue down,

Freann... I think you rare right, time to bite the bullet and wipe the slates, importing the newly named hard drive from scratch. And I think it will work. BUT the fear here is that as soon as i modify the new mint library by adding music or changing metadata the sluggish behavior will reemerge. And while I can experiment each time I restore the testbed back to a responsive state, the fact that to do so takes a couple days to do the fresh music import, makes it an issue I would like to explore little before having to go through two many iterations of instal/remove/reinstall to try and nail the issue down,

It may not be what you want to hear, but A+ speed improved significantly when I upgraded my 2009 iMac to an internal SSD. I highly recommend this step to anybody with a significant library size.

Just for info, is now Qobuz officially supported in USA?
No it is not. Qobuz has not launched in the USA.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

"It may not be what you want to hear, but A+ speed improved significantly when I upgraded my 2009 iMac to an internal SSD. I highly recommend this step to anybody with a significant library size."

Have had an internal SSD for several years, 16 gigs of ram and an i7 processor. If you read the original post (695) you will see that the issue is transient. Works fine after I trash the library and reimport all songs but once I add even once additional song after the rebuild of the library the sluggishness returns.

"It may not be what you want to hear, but A+ speed improved significantly when I upgraded my 2009 iMac to an internal SSD. I highly recommend this step to anybody with a significant library size."

Have had an internal SSD for several years, 16 gigs of ram and an i7 processor. If you read the original post (695) you will see that the issue is transient. Works fine after I trash the library and reimport all songs but once I add even once additional song after the rebuild of the library the sluggishness returns.

Sorry I missed that. Then I hope that Damien will find a fix for this. I'd reach out to him directly.

Hi! Quick question: whenever I look for a tune in the library using the search bar the player automatically assumes I want to hear more from that artist, so it adjusts the play queue around that tune with more form that album, artist, etc. So this invalidates the shuffle mode, really. Is there any way to disable the automatic play queue forming and just play the library tunes in complete random order? I mean just good ol' library shuffle, like in iTunes or in the previous Audirvana versions. Sorry if there's an obvious option for that and I don't see it or if the topic has been discussed before. Much appreciated!

Hi! Quick question: whenever I look for a tune in the library using the search bar the player automatically assumes I want to hear more from that artist, so it adjusts the play queue around that tune with more form that album, artist, etc. So this invalidates the shuffle mode, really. Is there any way to disable the automatic play queue forming and just play the library tunes in complete random order? I mean just good ol' library shuffle, like in iTunes or in the previous Audirvana versions. Sorry if there's an obvious option for that and I don't see it or if the topic has been discussed before. Much appreciated!

I would expand on this request slightly by asking for the ability to shuffle randomly by album. I still make use of a manual workaround by adding criteria to the view and alternate the ascending/descending values for each with acceptable results. Wish List item if nothing else : )

I would expand on this request slightly by asking for the ability to shuffle randomly by album.

And shuffle by GROUP please. I keep having to go back to iTunes Integrated Mode when I'm not doing critical listening and available to manually select what I want next every half hour or so.

Can't you just create a playlist (smart or plain) and shuffle it?

No. That shuffles by TRACK, not by GROUP. I really don't want to hear random movements of symphonies (for instance); I want to hear complete pieces, and my files are tagged as such.

No. That shuffles by TRACK, not by GROUP. I really don't want to hear random movements of symphonies (for instance); I want to hear complete pieces, and my files are tagged as such.

I also think more could be made of GROUPING in other ways. For instance It would also be good to select a GROUP to play via the remote, like you can on the main app. And I hope that could be part of general development of the remote to incorporate more of the control facilities of the main app. Damien has already promised that better viewing and selecting of albums (rather than tracks) will come soon to the remote, such as viewing playlists by album, and some better way of navigating the album view.

Moved from another thread, where several people supported the wish for A+ to allow different sort hierarchies for each view by Genre:

I'd love for A+ to allow different sort hierarchies in library list view by genre, so I could have, e.g., the various versions of the Brandenburgs or Beethoven's 9th together while still sorting rock and jazz by artist/album.

Edit: Re your last question, have you asked Damien in the relevant forum thread?

something I'd love to see (in Audirvana+ 2.5? :) ) is... a custom(*) half star ratings system: 5 full stars ain't enough to fine tune my ratings :( (been using half stars, in iTunes, since... v1.0 I believe :P )

(*) I know it would only work in A+ as there's no "universal" standard for this but... A+ is all I am and will be using :)

thanks for listening, Damien ;)

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a ZeroZone 19v/5A LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Isn't a grouping in essence like an extended album? I've never seen a curated software list/playlist of artists where the album grouping was preserved, but the sort within each album was shuffled.

Can anybody say what level of coding is being asked for here? Seems like a lot, but I'm not a programmer.

Isn't a grouping in essence like an extended album? I've never seen a curated software list/playlist of artists where the album grouping was preserved, but the sort within each album was shuffled.

Can anybody say what level of coding is being asked for here? Seems like a lot, but I'm not a programmer.

Sorry if I'm being dim, but I'm not sure I understand your question. We are referring to grouping as a way of grouping a number of tracks within an album that are part of the same piece - like movements of a Symphony. How is that like extending an album?

I'm just not expressing it properly - I just meant the grouping is like an (albeit, very long) album in terms of functionality - a collection of songs with a common denominator (chosen by the listener, record company or artist). Folks here are asking to be able to take Group A of songs with a common denominator and Group B, all in the same playlist then have the groups remain whole but the songs are shuffled within the group.

Like having Led Zeppelin and Michael Jackson (just for fun) in the same playlist then hitting play and having all Zeppelin play in a random order followed by all the Michael Jackson played in a random order

I'm just not expressing it properly - I just meant the grouping is like an (albeit, very long) album in terms of functionality - a collection of songs with a common denominator (chosen by the listener, record company or artist). Folks here are asking to be able to take Group A of songs with a common denominator and Group B, all in the same playlist then have the groups remain whole but the songs are shuffled within the group.

Like having Led Zeppelin and Michael Jackson (just for fun) in the same playlist then hitting play and having all Zeppelin play in a random order followed by all the Michael Jackson played in a random order

But that's not the sort of grouping were talking about: we're talking about one performance, for example of Beethoven's fifth symphony, which is defined by being a grouping within a single album. A+ already knows how to distinguish those tracks from any other performance because it will play that performance if you select the grouping tag within a particular album. So I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to choose that performance (grouping tag within a particular album) and have it play in order in a playlist that is otherwise random in order. Of course it would need A+ to be programmed to play tracks randomly UNLESS they had the same grouping and album title, in which case they would play together consecutively in track order.

I've no idea how complicated that is in programming terms, but I'd guess it was less complicated than a lot of the other things that A+ achieves.

A GROUP is just a selection (group) of tracks that you give a name to. It can be part of one album, or it can be longer than several albums. "SHUFFLING by GROUP" means that the program treats the entire group as a single unit: it plays the whole group together, in order, as though it were a single track. It does NOT shuffle the tracks within the group, and it doesn't play any one track from the group by itself.

So a disc of Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 7 (fer instance) might have tracks 1 through 4 as a group called "Beethoven: Symphony 5 / Kleiber" and tracks 5-8 as another group called "Beethoven: Symphony 7 / Kleiber". Shuffle might play one of these symphonies and not the other, or the second one first, or whatever. But if it randomly chooses to play anything from that album, it will play an entire symphony, not just one movement.

I don't often use groups with non-classical music, because I seldom use shuffle play with jazz or rock (and am happy with shuffle by album when I do). But you might use it for certain albums (Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall?) where you only wanted to hear the complete album rather than random tracks.

I never used shuffle on a CD player, by the way. But iTunes shuffle by album and shuffle by group will give you the greatest radio stations you ever heard, when you're not listening critically. And if A+ can implement this feature, it will even be the best sounding!

More on SHUFFLE play. Have a look at iTunes (even if you don't use it, It's a free download or visit your local Apple Store and play with a demo). Under CONTROLS > SHUFFLE > you get a choice of By Songs, By Albums, or By Groupings. It's a global setting, but you can always go back to the memo and change it. So you can still shuffle by track if you want to.

Also, with Apple's shuffle by groupings, iTunes will still include individual tracks that aren't tagged as part of a group. So you're not limiting what gets played to only the groups. It's a very powerful feature, and you can find your own ways to use it by how you tag your files.

Thank you for the beta, qobuz integration works great. Although i only have the free mo3 subscription.

As i have two systems which are fed by audirvana i

a) need to manually change the output in audirvana or

b) need to airfoil to stream to the second system (being an Apple tv)

any smartercand easier ways to do this?

Just want to reiterate how ridiculous it is that I have about 50 artists listed under "T" for "The"

Sorry for you, but i have 35 P, 42 S, 38 R... i want my THE under T, it is logical...

it's their name that is like that... so, just edit yours, it's simple, put you THE after their name.

It will take you 5 minutes. Arf!

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini, i5, 2.5GHz, SSD, 16Gb, 10.15 > Audirvana Plus 3.5.24 > Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition >
Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series > Audirvana Remote > iPhone 8

Sorry for you, but i have 35 P, 42 S, 38 R... i want my THE under T, it is logical...

it's their name that is like that... so, just edit yours, it's simple, put you THE after their name.

It will take you 5 minutes. Arf!

No I will not be doing that. Thanks