IGNORED

Audirvana 2.2 with iOS remote

If the question was for me and for the pie chart I posted in post #670, I originally created various smart playlist based on bit depth and sample frequency in A+, as explained to me just a few posts before.

I was so amazed having "discovered" the great power and flexibility of Audirvana smart playlist that I felt the urgency to post my "statistics" (which admittedly are surely of interest to no-one :) )

Than I put the numbers for all bit depth/sample frequencies in Excel and created the chart.

Actually you don't even need smart playlists to get these numbers, if you add the criteria of bit depth etc to the column browser you can see them directly.

Maybe Damien could develop a quick plugin to show these stats. But then again, some may then claim this would impact sound quality ?

Good question. It's because as audiophiles and not "the masses" (funny? @franz159), we are a ridiculous and pedantic lot who obsess over everything. (Just glance at the various REGEN threads or one of the USB cable threads.) There has been much talk over the years about removing the "bloat" from audio software in order to "quiet" the computer processes and yes, we obsess perhaps needlessly. Nonetheless, here I sit thinking of just that .. will these additions to A+ negatively impact the sound quality?

While at first put off by Sonic Studio's approach to streaming, in time I realized my preference for stand-alone streaming-type apps (sQ+, Amarra for Tidal). Of course, this all may change in the future.

I'm currently beta testing the app, and while I haven't done an A/B vs without Qobuz, the SQ is pretty good to my ears.

I very much like the idea of being able to have A+ playback engine pull the files from all my sources, whether they are locally on my external hard drive or sitting on Qobuz server, and then hand them over to memory play. And if this additional code impacts SQ by 1-2%, then be it. I'm not really sure why it should have any impact in the first place as the actual playback engine doesn't need changing, just the virtual "loading mechanism".

And especially if you don't use Qobuz there should be absolutely no difference to my understanding.

But then again, what do I know, the last software I coded was as a student, and I'm much more OCD over my file tagging than over any further IT system optimizations.

I'm currently beta testing the app, and while I haven't done an A/B vs without Qobuz, the SQ is pretty good to my ears.

I very much like the idea of being able to have A+ playback engine pull the files from all my sources, whether they are locally on my external hard drive or sitting on Qobuz server, and then hand them over to memory play. And if this additional code impacts SQ by 1-2%, then be it. I'm not really sure why it should have any impact in the first place as the actual playback engine doesn't need changing, just the virtual "loading mechanism".

And especially if you don't use Qobuz there should be absolutely no difference to my understanding.

But then again, what do I know, the last software I coded was as a student, and I'm much more OCD over my file tagging than over any further IT system optimizations.

Thank, I always appreciate your viewpoint.

IMO Support for "any" streaming service should be an optional add on to A+, not something integrated into to application itself. Streaming services can come and go, or make changes that render them incompatible with A+. Why integrate a service which is totally beyond the developers control into the application?

That's hardly a compelling argument. I found Roon less convenient because I prefer the simple elegance of A+ and the prioritisation of SQ. Maybe it's good sometimes to keep distinct from the way 'things are moving' (cf MP3, dynamic compression, etc).

I'm a Qobuz subscriber, so I'm curious to see how integration affects A+. But I hope there's a way of turning off the Qobuz element because I don't necessarily want my serious listening setup connected to the Internet, and the Qobuz element complicating the interface. (I use Qobuz mainly for sampling new releases and took out the subscription partly to give me discounts off high res downloads).

Refining the A+ remote (eg access to PDF album booklets) is far more important to me than streaming integration.

Maybe, but not a priority for me until Qobuz allows me to stream higher than RedBook resolution (other than for files Ive already bought as downloads). Until then it seems to me something of a compromise of SQ for convenience. That's not to say it's not worthwhile, but I worry if it takes resources away from further SQ improvements (eg matching HQPlayer for on the fly conversion of PCM to DSD, which many are eager for), or refining the remote, which is urgently awaited. Obviously Damien (not me!!) is the best judge of these things, and A+ is a testament to that.

+1!!!

even more: I really hope there will be a way to not even see there's Qobuz (or whatever service, eventually added in the future) integration

+1

I hope so. If you remember back when JRMC was being developed for the Mac platform you and me were most vocal about keeping it lean, perhaps modular even.

Again, I understand the desire for everyone to achieve their audio bliss but please, be careful what you ask for. I ask Damien for restraint. Audirvana Plus is for audiophiles, not the masses. If Damien chooses to develop the program for the masses, so be it. I have iTunes for that, and it's quite good at all things media IMNSHO.

A lot of good points here and tend to side with having streaming services either an optional module (one pays for?) or at minimum, something that can be disabled et al.

Certainly streaming is important to many and has its place but worry its net effect on A+ development. Meaning more code = more bugs = more system resources = more human resources (dev time). Bottom line is A+ is/was built on its sound quality as a player. I'm sure many end users have ideas on what items they would like fixed and or enhanced. For me personally, streaming is at the bottom.

My rig

+1

Let's help keep Damien focused on quality, not quantity. When you spread yourself too thin, everything suffers.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

A lot of good points here and tend to side with having streaming services either an optional module (one pays for?) or at minimum, something that can be disabled et al.

Certainly streaming is important to many and has its place but worry its net effect on A+ development. Meaning more code = more bugs = more system resources = more human resources (dev time). Bottom line is A+ is/was built on its sound quality as a player. I'm sure many end users have ideas on what items they would like fixed and or enhanced. For me personally, streaming is at the bottom.

Well, I guess the ship has sailed on this, Damien has obviously made the call that Streaming integration is the way to go, and I can't blame him. If he gets a half decent share of the 25K Qobuz prescribers he'll probably be quite happy.

In any case the equation more code = more system resources doesn't hold, code only requires resources if it actually runs.

Well, I guess the ship has sailed on this, Damien has obviously made the call that Streaming integration is the way to go, and I can't blame him. If he gets a half decent share of the 25K Qobuz prescribers he'll probably be quite happy.

In any case the equation more code = more system resources doesn't hold, code only requires resources if it actually runs.

+1. I might be misperceiving things, but it seems that people are suggesting that Damien scrap Qobuz integration now that it's about complete and even though @Musicophile has repeatedly stated that if you don't use the service, it's like the Qobuz stuff isn't there. The notion that Qobuz integration should go seems kind of silly, especially, as Musicophile has pointed out, it's an opportunity for Damien to expand his user base significantly.

It's a given, I think, that no one wants to see A+'s SQ decline, and I think Damien probably realizes that the "A+ Sound" represents the core value of his creation.

My US$0.02. (And personally, assuming the Qobuz stuff works well, I'd like to see Tidal integration follow.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

no one asked for Qobuz integration to be abandoned/removed

just... some expressed a preference for it *non* showing/cluttering the UI if/when not used

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

no one asked for Qobuz integration to be abandoned/removed

just... some expressed a preference for it *non* showing/cluttering the UI if/when not used

I might not be understanding the general import of all the comments, but @Musicophile addressed this pretty definitively back at Post #644, so what's all the subsequent fuss about?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

@Musicophile addressed this pretty definitively back at Post #644, so what's all the subsequent fuss about?

that did it, in fact, *for me*! ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

You'd rather chat about the REGEN instead? ;)

You have a point.

--David

[quote name=Musicophile;

In any case the equation more code = more system resources doesn't hold' date=' code only requires resources if it actually runs.[/quote]

I think it may not be as simple as that. I can't pretend to understand why, but I get occasional interruptions in sound that coincide with events on other computers on the network if it's connected to the Internet. (The coincidence is too great for this to be pure chance). So I have my dedicated music Mac Mini on a separate Ethernet network that is not connected to the Internet. Even though I'm a Qobuz subscriber I would not want it connected when I'm listening to downloaded music. It will be good to use Qobuz streaming via A+ occasionally, but I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if there's no downside to having it constantly available. So I imagine I'll still only use it mainly to sample potential downloads.

I think the best answer is that you try by yourself.

This is still a beta version, but you can try Audirvana Plus with Qobuz Integration. I’ve released the public beta today.

You can get it here.

If you don’t enter your Qobuz credentials (library page of the preferences), you won’t notice you have the latest beta…

And for those who are in Paris region this WE, I’ll be presenting this new version at the Festival Son & Image, at the Qobuz booth.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

This is still a beta version, but you can try Audirvana Plus with Qobuz Integration. I’ve released the public beta today.

You can get it here.

If you don’t enter your Qobuz credentials (library page of the preferences), you won’t notice you have the latest beta…

And for those who are in Paris region this WE, I’ll be presenting this new version at the Festival Son & Image, at the Qobuz booth.

Damien

There isn't a matching beta of the remote yet is there?

Sorry... but please point me to somewhere where I can find answers too some of my questions, see photo below (Found out I cannot post pic on forum here...)

I use A+ 2.2 but it shows me:

Greatest Hits album with artist 24/48 (should have been Rihanna)

Two artists for Guitar Noir (should have been same artist)

Same CD cover for 3 albums

NO album cover for Mark Lanegan

7 diff. artist names for album called Hi Res

The list is long. Why can´t A+ not just show me the same tracks/album names/album art as iTunes does? Roon can do it

Sorry... but please point me to somewhere where I can find answers too some of my questions, see photo below (Found out I cannot post pic on forum here...)

I use A+ 2.2 but it shows me:

Greatest Hits album with artist 24/48 (should have been Rihanna)

Two artists for Guitar Noir (should have been same artist)

Same CD cover for 3 albums

NO album cover for Mark Lanegan

7 diff. artist names for album called Hi Res

The list is long. Why can´t A+ not just show me the same tracks/album names/album art as iTunes does? Roon can do it

Looks like you have rather messy metadata in these files. Without knowing more mainly due to a lacking album artists?

A+ is less tolerant in missing metadata than ITunes. But once your files are properly tagged (with A+ or Yate etc) you should be al set.

I have a question regarding responsiveness of A+ when switching from a song that is playing to another song, either by hitting the skip button or by double clicking on a new song. On my system it takes about 12+ seconds of spinning beach ball until the new song begins. Very sluggish. I have had this on all versions of A+ except right after the upgrade a couple versions back that required the library rebuild because it was adding a field to the library database. After that update A+ ran great and was relatively snappy until new music was added to the library; at which point the sluggish behavior returned. Have tried re-syncing and that has not helped. I have 150k plus songs in this library and all metadata seems complete and correct.

I guess my questions regard why the sluggishness; why it disappeared after the update a couple of versions ago, and why it reappeared after new music was added to the library. And the big question, what if anything can I do to alleviate the issue.

BTW, no such problem with JriverMC or iTunes.

Thanks

You can get it here.

Damien

Thanks Damien! I am trying the beta now, and I must say that I am impressed and any fears I had of it being obtrusive have been put to rest. Spectacular job as always.

Cheers!

Rich

Running the beta at the moment. You don't see any Qobuz details until you sign into the service, so if you're not a Qobuz user there's no visual change.

However Qobuz seems to have a significant problem. The last few seconds of every track are skipped, that's to say the software moves onto the next track before the one being played is complete. I realise this is a beta, and it's such a fundamental problem that Damien must be aware of it.

The only issue I am having with the current beta is that it is not completely loading tracks from Qobuz. A second or two are lost at the end of each track, so the transition between tracks is a little abrupt and jarring. Any other beta testers experiencing this?

Yes, I'm having the same problem - see my previous post.

The only issue I am having with the current beta is that it is not completely loading tracks from Qobuz. A second or two are lost at the end of each track, so the transition between tracks is a little abrupt and jarring. Any other beta testers experiencing this?

It works smoothly on my computer. Is your internet connection ok?