IGNORED

24/44 vs 16/44 for 40% of the cost

A bit torn.

Most of my listening is orchestral and I almost always buy new recordings in high resolution as long as I'm confident they aren't upconverted. For example, recent recordings from the San Francisco Symphony are out of this world excellent.

However, there are two recordings made in the last few years available in CD for $14 shipped but also available in 24/44 download for $32. I realize bit depth is more important than sampling rate but I think I've bought into thinking 24/44 is sub par to 24/96. Recordings are from Naxos.

I'm thinking about just going with the CDs and hope the mastering is excellent.

Anyone ever struggle with a decision like this or is everyone just buying high resolution when available?

I would go for the $14 CD myself. If it was $5 more, I would go for the 24 bit, but it is entirely possible the extra bittiness won't make an audible difference. At best, it will be marginal. So I look at it kind of like a buyer's protection plan. It only makes sense if it is really cheap or if there is something inherently wrong with the product to begin with.

A dilemma for many of us I'm afraid. Are we missing something if we only purchase a 16/44.1 version? Perhaps. For me the cost of a high res version is often much more than I want to spend and I opt for the CD instead. That being said, I have 2 DACs that do wonders for good old Redbook. I often find the cost of 3 or 4 CDs comparable to 1 high res download .. a no brainer for me. Of course there is always a "must have" high res album here and there I will purchase. I'm sure you will find your own equilibrium. Good listening.

I think you guys have me convinced about going with the CD. Amarra and my DAC do great things for redbook as well.

No doubt others will chime in with a different opinion (shocking, I know). Have you found reviews of those 2 CDs you're interested in? Maybe you will find some info on the mastering.

All the reviews rave about the performance and none that I've found mention much about the recording process or quality.

"It’s all captured in gloriously vivid, present sonics by the Naxos engineers. "

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10/Petrenko - Classics Today

From that review this stands out:

"It’s all captured in gloriously vivid, present sonics by the Naxos engineers. Thrilling, perfect, essential–a magnificent achievement and hands down the modern reference recording."

bold is mine

All the reviews rave about the performance and none that I've found mention much about the recording process or quality.

"It’s all captured in gloriously vivid, present sonics by the Naxos engineers. "

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10/Petrenko - Classics Today

Hello loop7,

Just ordered the CD from Archiv Music. Thank you for the recommendation. In my experience Amarra Symphony with iRC, if it's there in the recording, ASwiRC and my W4S Dac2 DSDse renders what IS there gloriously. I am in accord with your decision and my actions confirm this.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Also agree - go with the CD.

Also, bit-depth isn't necessarily more important than sample rate. Some folks argue that 48kHz and higher sample rates produce audible benefits over 44.1kHz because they allow for gentler antialiasing filters that therefore produce fewer (or zero) phase nonlinearities in the upper audible frequencies.

At any rate, $18 more - or 129% more - for a little more theoretical s/n ratio doesn't seem remotely worth it.

In my opinion, purchasing of records in master quality (studio original source) is better choise.

Each of us has several audio devices: home, portable, vehicle.

Each device has different DAC. Thus for each device can be used "better sounding" sample rate.

After purchasing new DAC also may be optimal new resolution.

I.e. need always have studio master original (in backup storage) and turn it to required resolution by necessity.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Ah one of the about 10 recordings of the mysterious Petrenko. Very interesting. I'm not hugely into Shostakovich, but this may be worth checking out.

That said I'm willing to pay up to 50% or so premium for high-res, beyond that I'm out and just go for redbook.

However, it is usually indeed worth checking out many sites, as pricing in spite of this being the internet is still very intransparent, and you sometimes get huge differences between sites. Although here $14 eclassical to $32 elsewhere (where by the way?) is probably the worst I've seen

I found the DL in 24 bits at eClassical for just over 14 dollars.

Thank you! I'll probably gift the CD to a friend when it arrives from Archiv. I enjoy giving music as a gift. And I enjoy downloading good music. Win/win.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

eClassical tends to have very good prices. And they let you buy on a per track basis (priced per second!). I've several times bought only one work on an album with several when only the one interested me.

They also let you have mp3s for free if you've bought higher-res, and they let you download again if you need to.

I wish more of the hi-res stores had these policies.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)