IGNORED

Active loudspeaker systems

Yes i know that active crossover does to the sound in terms of handleing the drivers in way passive filtrering just can't beat, but i would still be a little afraid of not getting enough power in that low midrange.. But let's hear what the result will be, i do hope it will what you expect it to be :-). I do not think to much power, is a problem many people are dealing with.. I for one had my share of "it sounds of a lot more then the to x 40 watts it in fact is" :-)... Yes yes but can i please have the Big one instead :-)

The crossover points aren't set in stone. Once I have the system up and running I will play around and find the best compromise. But this 4" mid is no ordinary 4" mid. It has a VD equivalent to some 7" midwoofers. But I do realize SD is a big factor once you get above 100hz. If it needs some upper bass lower mid reinforcement, I can bump up the Xovers points a bit.

Yes no replacement for raw brute power :) But at the same time the Ncore definitely do no sacrifice sound quality for power.

I know spec's don't tell the full story but check out the specs on these modules. My full system will have 14 of these running in total :)NC500.jpg

Thanks and keep updating us once in a while Blizzard! I am interested in this category and your project (although I can't really afford 'ultimate' multichannel active dsp and I'm not much of a DIYer).

No problem! I'll keep you in the loop. It's a very big complicated project. But I'm working with the best in the business to ensure its success.

Hey Blizzard,

Refreshing to read a thread where the contributors are actually contributing to each others knowledge instead of trying to denounce the other's view. Good luck with your project, it sounds (pardon the pun) like you are putting your heart and sole into it and could well end up with something special and very close to an "ultimate" system.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hey Blizzard,

Refreshing to read a thread where the contributors are actually contributing to each others knowledge instead of trying to denounce the other's view. Good luck with your project, it sounds (pardon the pun) like you are putting your heart and sole into it and could well end up with something special and very close to an "ultimate" system.

Thanks! Yes it is refreshing (and rare) to see this so far on this thread. Hopefully it will stay that way. Yes that is the goal, won't be the cheapest way to do things, but will hopefully raise the bar of what's currently being offered for active systems on the market. In the future this can trickle down into lower cost systems.

I don't mind sharing my ideas on a public forum because if anyone wants to use them, it will only aid with the development costs. It will also help to accelerate innovation is this area, which will benefit every member of the audiophile community.

My active setup is partially on the iMac with AU plugins where I get to choose the filter type and frequency. This goes through my M-Audio card, PCM only, in 4 channel mode at 48kHz max.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Cool, what are you using for speakers and amps?

Everything is in my sig, but I still get cold feet for now thinking of disabling the internal crossover of the Totem Mites. I'd rather wait till I get drivers to build my own speakers.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Everything is in my sig, but I still get cold feet for now thinking of disabling the internal crossover of the Totem Mites. I'd rather wait till I get drivers to build my own speakers.

You can always upgrade the passive components in your Totems. For very little money, you can drastically improve the performance. If you need help, PM me and I can help you choose what you'll need for whatever budget you have.

You can always upgrade the passive components in your Totems. For very little money, you can drastically improve the performance. If you need help, PM me and I can help you choose what you'll need for whatever budget you have.

Except I don't want to open them at all: they were a gift from my girlfriend.

So patience is going to be had.

Initial testing was done with the Subwoofer and the Fostex Monitors, so I know a least the 4-channel cross-over setup works albeit two lower freq channels were sent to the sub.

Except I don't want to open them at all: they were a gift from my girlfriend.

So patience is going to be had.

Initial testing was done with the Subwoofer and the Fostex Monitors, so I know a least the 4-channel cross-over setup works albeit two lower freq channels were sent to the sub.

It's easier than you think. If you only realized the performance gains you can achieve for very little cost and effort it would be a no brainer. But if your not comfortable with a soldering iron I can understand.

It's easier than you think. If you only realized the performance gains you can achieve for very little cost and effort it would be a no brainer.

There's something about sentimental value that you don't understand?

But if your not comfortable with a soldering iron I can understand.

Bullshit.

There's something about sentimental value that you don't understand?

Bullshit.

All of the changes would be internally. You would never know from the outside. Much the same as tweaking settings inside a computer. But obviously based on your response you don't appreciate any help. I'll be sure not to offer any more in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to look into the DLCP too. I have one as well.

I already went down that path. What I have in the works now will allow me to send DSD 512 to the DAC's with 64 bit floating point IIR or FIR for crossovers, combined with room correction applied before the amps.

I'm using a real time OS running on Intel processors for the DSP.

I already went down that path. What I have in the works now will allow me to send DSD 512 to the DAC's with either IIR or FIR for crossovers , combined with room correction applied before the amps.

I see. Neither of which I'm interested in.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I see. Neither of which I'm interested in.

Your not a fan of the highest end possible way things can be done? If you know of a better way please share. This is a cost no object system. $250000 is my budget. Sorry but the DLCP isn't anywhere close to a fit for this system.

Your not a fan of the highest end possible way things can be done? If you know of a better way please share. This is a cost no object system. $250000 is my budget. Sorry but the DLCP isn't anywhere close to a fit for this system.

If you build a proper room and use CD speakers along with multiple (3-4) subs the issues that you're dealing with will be solved. It's that simple. I highly recommend you read all of the Dr. Earl Geddes' papers.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If you build a proper room and use CD speakers along with multiple (3-4) subs the issues that you're dealing with will be solved. It's that simple. I highly recommend you read all of the Dr. Earl Geddes' papers.

You are just talking about room correction issues. There's far more to a system than just dealing with room correction. I'm not building a system that is going to require someone to rebuild their house to take advantage of. There's a fine balance between many variables when building a system like this. #1 for me is providing the same quality of DAC and source sampling rate/format capability of the finest passive 2 channel systems, in a fully active system. This is something NOBODY has yet accomplished with an active system. Especially one scale-able for 5 channel audio.

If I'm going to climb a mountain, it's either going to be MT Everest or nothing. That's just the way I am.

...Just take a look in the Involve Audio website. I can vouch that all the stuff there is true.

I personally have a Surround Master. All analog, 2 in / 5 out, so you only need a high quality source with 2 rca outputs, and 4 active speakers (or more with subwoofers)

I compared this ugly cheapo small plastic box with a high end Processor from a well respected manufacturer, about 20 x more expensive (and also tweaked), and the Surround master is wayyy better on all stereo sources. At best, the High end Processor sounds exactly the same on multichannel files...

See my signature. I'm tired to talk about this, just look on the quadraphonicquad forum and you'll find all the reports you need. It's not exactly what you want to build, but afters looong years to find a solution with multichannel Dacs, AU plugins for active crossover and so, I've finally found this stuff, and it really does wonder.

ANY source with rca out (or xlr + adapter) -> Surround Master -> active speakers

So if you send a signal with a 2 channels Dac who accepts DSD512, you'll hear DSD512 quality over 5 channels at the end.

I have 4 Geithain + 2 Ken Kreisel subs chained (DSP with an Antimode for the subs though) and the result is simply jaw dropping for anyone hearing this for the 1st time at home...

I certainly could get something better with a i2S streamer/Dac :) ...we'll see.

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

...Just take a look in the Involve Audio website. I can vouch that all the stuff there is true.

I personally have a Surround Master. All analog, 2 in / 5 out, so you only need a high quality source with 2 rca outputs, and 4 active speakers (or more with subwoofers)

I compared this ugly cheapo small plastic box with a high end Processor from a well respected manufacturer, about 20 x more expensive (and also tweaked), and the Surround master is wayyy better on all stereo sources. At best, the High end Processor sounds exactly the same on multichannel files...

See my signature. I'm tired to talk about this, just look on the quadraphonicquad forum and you'll find all the reports you need. It's not exactly what you want to build, but afters looong years to find a solution with multichannel Dacs, AU plugins for active crossover and so, I've finally found this stuff, and it really does wonder.

ANY source with rca out (or xlr + adapter) -> Surround Master -> active speakers

So if you send a signal with a 2 channels Dac who accepts DSD512, you'll hear DSD512 quality over 5 channels at the end.

I have 4 Geithain + 2 Ken Kreisel subs chained (DSP with an Antimode for the subs though) and the result is simply jaw dropping for anyone hearing this for the 1st time at home...

I certainly could get something better with a i2S streamer/Dac :) ...we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion. But the requirement of my particular system is that all of the crossover DSP needs to be preformed in the digital domain.

It's going to be an extremely sophisticated system. I'm not going to share all the details on here but there's definitely nothing like it available on the market.

It's been 18 years in the works and there's far too many details to explain. I'll let the results of the finished product do the talking.