IGNORED

Beautifully made, high-quality prepared speaker cables at an incredibly reasonable price

https://sewelldirect.com/HomeTheater/SpeakerWire

The Sewell "Silverback" cables are 12 Ga, 259 strand Oxygen-Free Copper, with gorgeously made, incredibly robust gold plated bananas at each end! Available in 3 ft., 6 ft, 15 ft. etc. lengths.

Buy 'em from Amazon and they're even cheaper than directly from Sewell. I just bought a pair of six-footers for the Magneplanars that I just got and I only paid $7.95/each for them. With shipping, both pairs were under US$20! If I showed them to you and told you that they were US$250/each, you'd believe me! Very impressive quality!

The company is out of Orem Utah, and I get the impression that the cables are made in the USA (assembled here from Chinese parts, perhaps?).

SW-30012-10_1.jpg

SW-30012-10.jpg

George

It can only sound good if it costs more than Di2 on a mountain bike.

This reminds me, have you tried any silver cable for the connections on your Di2? Seems shifts would be smoother, response more crisp, yet refreshing. Perhaps BlueJeans could adapt some good Belden to your purposes if you don't want to go whole hawg on the silver yet.

Also don't know if you use a wireless or wired speedo, I prefer wired myself. Better shielding from EMI/RF might help the Di2 performance as well. I notice particular problems riding near TV towers. It could be the steep hills leading to them, but I suspect high levels of RF.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

George

I prefer to use speaker cables terminated with Locking Banana Plugs like at the attached link.

Regards

Alex

4 Pack Heavy Duty Locking Banana Plugs 9 AWG Gold Plated Connector Black | eBay

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

This reminds me, have you tried any silver cable for the connections on your Di2? Seems shifts would be smoother, response more crisp, yet refreshing. Perhaps BlueJeans could adapt some good Belden to your purposes if you don't want to go whole hawg on the silver yet.

Also don't know if you use a wireless or wired speedo, I prefer wired myself. Better shielding from EMI/RF might help the Di2 performance as well. I notice particular problems riding near TV towers. It could be the steep hills leading to them, but I suspect high levels of RF.

The Blue USB Regen works miracles with the Di2 ...!

I lost communication with K-Pax thanks to TV & Cell towers and the worst it is that I have a very jealous wife for the last 500 years. :(

Roch

George

I prefer to use speaker cables terminated with Locking Banana Plugs like at the attached link.

Regards

Alex

4 Pack Heavy Duty Locking Banana Plugs 9 AWG Gold Plated Connector Black | eBay

I have a bunch of those from Monster. They lock with a tiny (and easily lost) Allen key.

These Sewell bananas are so tight, that I don't think that you would have anything to complain about on that front.

Besides which, the Maggies use a set screw in their banana jacks to tighten against whatever banana plugs are used.

George

Just curious what about the cables, or the packaging, gives you the impression they're made in the USA?

I could be wrong here, but I'm under the impression that here in the US it's the law that things made overseas must have the country of manufacture listed on them. Neither the packaging, the cables themselves, or the company's web site make any mention of any other location than Orem Utah. However, it would not surprise me to find that they are assembled in Utah from Chinese components, as I said in my initial post on this subject.

It's just nice to see an audio product that gives good value for money spent. All too rare these days. Of course, I can't speak to how they sound for several reasons, two of which, I'll mention here:

1) I bought 2 6-footers. At that length, I don't think a 12 Ga cable would have any audible affect on SQ under any circumstances.

2) The Maggies are 4 Ohm and totally resistive, so, ostensibly, being non-reactive, the only thing being added to the amplifier's load would be a few 10ths of an ohm of pure resistance.

At any rate, I heard no discernible difference when I replaced my two 15 ft pairs of Monster M1 with the shorter (and therefore a neater installation) 6-ft, pair of Sewell Silverbacks.

George

And I thought my speaker cables were a bargain but they're some 15x the cost of these, lol. I'll have to keep these in mind for when I redo the upstairs system. Enjoy them and the Maggies!

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

And I thought my speaker cables were a bargain but they're some 15x the cost of these, lol. I'll have to keep these in mind for when I redo the upstairs system. Enjoy them and the Maggies!

Thanks, I will (er - I am!). The price of these puppies makes you wonder about the prices charged by other speaker cable manufacturers. Either the Sewell Silverbacks are grossly underpriced or everybody else is ripping people off (I suspect a little of both). One thing is sure, at these prices, there is no excuse for even non-technical neophytes to not have decently terminated, good quality, pre-made speaker cables at a price that won't scare them off.

I wish I had known about these a couple of weeks ago when someone posted here looking for advice on how to connect a new subwoofer to his modest system which had an amplifier that did not sport subwoofer outputs. It would have saved a lot of back and forth between us about how he should terminate his cables when he had no soldering or other basic electronics skills.

George

You can buy their banana plugs separately and use your own wire. i just finished doing that for a friend's setup. I used oxygen free 12 gauge for the mains and 14 gauge for the connection to the whole house system. That way you can make the length you need and choose your gauge. The bananas secure the wire with 2 set screws, so are very secure - much better than the ones that splay over a surface and screw on. The cover screws go on from the end, rather than from over the wire, so no more having to remove the plug when you put the wrong color on the wire :). The plugs were snug but not overly tight. Sewell also has spades available. Very nice choice of options. This is the first time I have used their product but was happy with the banana plugs. I have some spade lugs on order also.

You can buy their banana plugs separately and use your own wire. i just finished doing that for a friend's setup. I used oxygen free 12 gauge for the mains and 14 gauge for the connection to the whole house system. That way you can make the length you need and choose your gauge. The bananas secure the wire with 2 set screws, so are very secure - much better than the ones that splay over a surface and screw on. The cover screws go on from the end, rather than from over the wire, so no more having to remove the plug when you put the wrong color on the wire :). The plugs were snug but not overly tight. Sewell also has spades available. Very nice choice of options. This is the first time I have used their product but was happy with the banana plugs. I have some spade lugs on order also.

Yeah, I looked at their products on their web page and was impressed by the selection and seeming quality. Did you watch the video about their bananas? They plugged one of their male bananas into a socket mounted overhead so that the plug and wire hang straight down. Then they started to load the cable with bar-bell weights. When they got to 70 pounds, the male banana disconnected from the socket, but the wire did not come loose from the male connector. Impressive. I can attest that the bananas take quite a bit of force to insert or remove from the female socket, so I don't doubt their claim one iota. Hurray for Sewell! This kind of affordable quality is what this hobby and indeed, this country needs.

George