IGNORED

Article: ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono DAC / Amp

I listened to this device in Newport at The Show and thought it was bested by a Hugo portable dac to the upcoming Cavalli portable amp (granted that's two pieces of equipment) through both Roxanne customs and LCD-3's. That said, it was a capable sounding unit, but it is a little heavy to carry around.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I have been working with low voltage triodes since the late 1970's. In college I would fix early Corvett radio's which used 6GM8 tubes. I don't know of anyway to use any tube at 11.1V and not run into major problems.

I will preface this, that I have never heard or seen the ALO reviewed here.

Thanks, Gordon

I have been working with low voltage triodes since the late 1970's. In college I would fix early Corvett radio's which used 6GM8 tubes. I don't know of anyway to use any tube at 11.1V and not run into major problems. The 6111 being most similar to the 12AU7 require at least 50v on the plate.

6111curves.jpg

I will preface this, that I have never heard or seen the ALO reviewed here.

Thanks, Gordon

I listened to this device in Newport at The Show and thought it was bested by a Hugo portable dac to the upcoming Cavalli portable amp (granted that's two pieces of equipment) through both Roxanne customs and LCD-3's. That said, it was a capable sounding unit, but it is a little heavy to carry around.

For twice the price, well, yeah.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

Very fair point.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

For twice the price, well, yeah.

Very fair point

- Mark

I also heard this unit at Newport at the Head-fi show vs the Hugo (but not with the Cavali) and was very impressed with the LCD-3's in combo. I did not find the Hugo by itself to be as well balanced in terms of even frequency response.

This is certainly one of the best Portable DAC/Amps out there.

Music was fluid, dynamic with appropriate bloom , color and nuance. Earth Wind and and Fire and Micheal Jackson enveloped me and put the soul in my soul. An excellent job of voicing by Ken, really for me the highlight of the last show. I did not get much time with the Woo tube portable , this form factor is just small enough to lend itself to portable as opposed to transportable use. I preferred the sound of the CDM to many full sized rigs.... battery power is just very very clean with plenty of current for dynamic swings.