IGNORED

Beyond Bit-perfect: EMC - EMI/RFI and the hidden gray areas of analogue in our digital audio.

I'm in the process of redoing all the lighting in my house.

And to top it all off I found some REALLY good looking LEDs from a company called Soraa that will make this into a really good looking, efficient and electrically completely clean system.

Came across GravityLight which looks very interesting:

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I have large sliding mirrors in the dining room. People ask if I have a 'Walk-in' closet there, but no, the unit I live in actually houses all the meters for all other units in the building too. One day (probably 4 years ago or so), they came in and installed smart meters.

This means that behind these mirrors are now 7 smart meters for all units of the building running simultaneously. This is not counting the huge Power Box near the listening area on which "600 amps" is written.

That's terrible! Please post a picture. I guess moving is not an option?

That's terrible! Please post a picture. I guess moving is not an option?

SM 1.jpg

Two more lurking on the left:

SM 2.jpg

The main Box, 600 Amperes:

Box 2.jpg

The side view gives you an idea of its size, those are DVDs (this is the listening area, the twisted pair is for one surround speaker):

Box 1.jpg

We envision moving one day, Toronto would be awesome.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Holy crap! Now I can sympathize with your power isolation and grounding obsessions.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Holy crap! Now I can sympathize with your power isolation and grounding obsessions.

And RFI/EMI!

• 1 year later...

Building the Linear Regulated Power Supply and custom USB connector for the DAC, I wasn't expecting that I would be battling RFI/EMI at a more fundamental level.

Both the custom connector and the LRP reduce Leakage currents.

Getting a schematic into a good physical layout also involves thinking about proper grounding, current flows, and optimising this for a board, even a DIY hybrid of board + Point-to-Point build.

With P-2-P, a twisted pair in the build radically changes the RFI/EMI profiles, optimising ground and current flows radically changes SQ.

The differences are large.

Building the Linear Regulated Power Supply and custom USB connector for the DAC, I wasn't expecting that I would be battling RFI/EMI at a more fundamental level.

Both the custom connector and the LRP reduce Leakage currents.

Getting a schematic into a good physical layout also involves thinking about proper grounding, current flows, and optimising this for a board, even a DIY hybrid of board + Point-to-Point build.

With P-2-P, a twisted pair in the build radically changes the RFI/EMI profiles, optimising ground and current flows radically changes SQ.

The differences are large.

Yash,

Don't be such a tease! Pix of some of the important discoveries you made so we can duplicate them (or they didn't happen, to paraphrase!).

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Don't be such a tease! Pix of some of the important discoveries you made so we can duplicate them (or they didn't happen, to paraphrase!).

Pics won't show you as much as this:

- take or build a linear regulated PSU

- change the pre-reg layout configuration with respect to grounding and return currents

- listen

- measure and make correlations

We envision moving one day, Toronto would be awesome.

Holy $hit!!

Have you considered wearing a Tin Foil suit around the house or at least a Tin Foil Jock Strap? All that stuff cant be good for you, forget the audio equipment aspect.

I've been in Datacenters with similar panels and just standing near those boxes for a short period of time feels like being in a Microwave. You can feel the waves of electricity coming out of them :0

Run for the Hills!!

Holy $hit!!

Have you considered

All these 'smart meters' are behind sliding mirror doors. I am considering putting metal meshes on the back of the sliding doors. The other side is actually the dining/living room/games table.

• 10 months later...
On 2/1/2017 at 7:42 PM, gstew said:

Yash,

Greg in Mississippi

@gstew Some pics added