IGNORED

Internal SSD vs NAS

I have a CAPS topanga server with 64gb ssd. The SSD battery tweak is amazing. I am recently being A&B comparison if same file played from NAS sounds so Dull against same file copied to SSD plays more life like. The difference is not subtle for me, enough to make me think i need to buy 1TB SSD as a second SSD and copy my most listened music there. I have seen recent thread of network optimization and makes me think then SSD can be really good best way to get the music.

Currently my system is

NAS-> Bridge->Wireless bridge->wire ->CAPS-> USB -> BMC pure Fac

I understand wireless can be issue but this much difference...if anyone can do A&b comparison

Anyone else have the same observation??

I have a CAPS topanga server with 64gb ssd. The SSD battery tweak is amazing. I am recently being A&B comparison if same file played from NAS sounds so Dull against same file copied to SSD plays more life like. The difference is not subtle for me, enough to make me think i need to buy 1TB SSD as a second SSD and copy my most listened music there. I have seen recent thread of network optimization and makes me think then SSD can be really good best way to get the music.

Currently my system is

I understand wireless can be issue but this much difference...if anyone can do A&b comparison

I can't help but wonder if the difference may be largely due to: Bridge->Wireless bridge->wire-> between your NAS and your DAC. My system consists of: NAS->Router->CAPS->USB->DAC. Connections to/from router are Ethernet 6a cable.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I had the same issue early on, but I found it was an older switch that caused my issue. A new switch, and I can't distinguish the difference between my linear powered SSD and my Synology NAS. I too would suspect the wireless bridge.

From one topic:

Amarra recommends SSD for your music library on their website. I haven't moved from my iMac yet which has a flash storage / SSD. It sounds good but I haven't done a comparison. I'm gonna take Amarra's advice and probably go with a SSD and thunderbolt enclosure from OWC.

hi

Currently my system is

NAS's vary in quality... I can't stand the Buffalo NAS I have as an audio source.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...

What does it sound like when you stream/play from memory instead of SSD?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

SSD battery tweak is amazing but there is IMO a way to incorporate NAS with good SQ. I have CAPS Pipeline Audio PC and two NAS drives on a mini optical network. Optical fiber replaces copper Ethernet connection for these devices and is also powered by battery. I feel like I have the best of both worlds now. The capacity and convenience of NAS drive and the SQ of dedicated SSD library. There are two threads on the Networking thread that you can visit if you are interested.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

• 3 weeks later...
SSD battery tweak is amazing but there is IMO a way to incorporate NAS with good SQ. I have CAPS Pipeline Audio PC and two NAS drives on a mini optical network. Optical fiber replaces copper Ethernet connection for these devices and is also powered by battery.

Just curious. What what is about the Ethernet over copper that concerned you?