IGNORED

how does a pc sound card convert dsd??

There are lots of articles out there (mags/websites etc) debating the virtues of dsd vs pcm 'High-Res' quality etc.

I'm trying to understand how it is that my eight year old (Win XP) laptop can play DSD files when a

'DSD' compatible DAC is 'required' to decode/playback DSD files.

The laptop doesn't have an 'audiophile' soundcard, and I'm not claiming the sound is better than

an external DAC, but I can clearly hear the difference between various formats (.mp3 Vs FLAC vs DSD etc).

Why are DSD DAC's required when any pc (or Mac with the right software) can already play these files?

mister sprinkles, thank-you for your reply,

I haven't played with any settings in jRiver, so where is the conversion taking place - does that mean jRiver

is converting the 'DSD' file to PCM before it sends data to the soundcard?

if so, what are the PCM data properties (bit depth/rate?) and how does the software

determine the 'PCM' bit-rate sent to the soundcard?

Is it possible to 'monitor' the digital data that gets converted to analog?

what hardware/software do you use to rip your sacd's? is there any audible difference

ripping them to PCM Vs .dsf format?

Thanks for the clarifications about the soundcard.

if the DSD signal is 'packed' into a PCM container and 'decoded' as a PCM signal by the DAC,

is there an audible difference between that and the output from a 'native' DSD DAC?

ie; does the DoP process degrade/alter the signal?

Isn't the benefit of digital audio (in theory) that it's a series of binary numbers that

(should) remain unchanged until the conversion to analogue.

i know that's a simplistic interpretation but it would be interesting to know why (if any)

there is an audible difference between DSD and PCM??

am i correct to say that some manufacturers/vendors are 'promoting' DSD and others are sticking to PCM

equipment- is this just about selling hardware/software or is there more to it?