IGNORED

ECM Records streaming?

What there used to be was places to go and see what new released cds were available and then listen to those releases that just came out. One bookstore chain in particular (Borders) had a great revolving selection of cds so that you could put headphones on and listen to cd after cd. Nearly every time I stopped and looked what was new I ended up buying at least one if not multiple cds, including ones from ECM. That wonderful experience is now gone. This was probably 4-5 years ago. So. Here we are in 2017, 5 years later, and where do I go to listen to recordings to see which I'd like to buy?

Name one of the major streaming services.....there you have it. No listen, no buy. Get the picture ECM or risk losing your artists to more forward thinking recording companies. The times are changing and they had better change or they will find themselves an even smaller niche player than they already are.

Sad but true.

• 8 months later...

Sweeeet! I've been waiting for this for years. :D I'm listening to the Keith Jarrett Trio playing My Foolish Heart as we speak. 

I'll be streaming the ECM catalog every day for at least a couple of hours. I'm looking forward to exploring some of their less famous artists whose CD's I never took a chance on. 

Streaming may not offer ECM the kind of money they want but we don't live in the world of LP's only anymore and haven't for a long time. It'll mean more money for them than they've been getting by pretending that the world hasn't already moved on.

And I'll be buying whichever ECM discoveries I like the most. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So I hope it's a financial success for them.