IGNORED

ECM Records streaming?

Way to get your artists music out there ECM!

I think it's very short sighted on ECM's part not have at least a portion of their catalog represented in the fastest growing segment of music distribution today. People are using streaming services extensively for exploring and searching for new forms of music. I believe they are doing their artists a huge disservice by not having them represented. If they are waiting for the "fad" of streaming music on demand to pass they will be waiting an awfully long time.

David

With the few exceptions mentioned here, ECM doesn't license music for streaming.

Eicher is on record as being philosophically and economically opposed to streaming, as he sees it as a way for the music labels-corporate conglomerates (who co-own a lot of the streaming) to reduce payout to artists. In his view, he is protecting his artists by not licensing streaming.

If discs and downloads totally disappear from the market, he will have to rethink his position.

If his artists end up not selling any recordings because nobody has a clue who they are because they are not in front of the public I don't see how that's taking care of them. If I was one of them I'd look for another label.

David

• 1 month later...

What there used to be was places to go and see what new released cds were available and then listen to those releases that just came out. One bookstore chain in particular (Borders) had a great revolving selection of cds so that you could put headphones on and listen to cd after cd. Nearly every time I stopped and looked what was new I ended up buying at least one if not multiple cds, including ones from ECM. That wonderful experience is now gone. This was probably 4-5 years ago. So. Here we are in 2017, 5 years later, and where do I go to listen to recordings to see which I'd like to buy?

Name one of the major streaming services.....there you have it. No listen, no buy. Get the picture ECM or risk losing your artists to more forward thinking recording companies. The times are changing and they had better change or they will find themselves an even smaller niche player than they already are.

David