IGNORED

ECM Records streaming?

Pandora streams ECM. I have no idea how much of the catalog is there, but I have a couple of channels that I Thumb Up whenever an ECM track appears. It will have to do until ECM comes back to Spotify. I rarely play any other channels on Pandora.

I don't buy much music these days, and 99% of my listening now is streaming stuff that I don't 'own'. I don't have time to manage a media library in any form (I used to have over 100 vinyl and probably still have 30-40 CDs ECM's, stored in boxes), and I'm very happy with Spotify, would not go with anything else just to get ECM, which I dearly love, but not enough to pay for another service or buy it and have to manage the content. Spotify has vast unexplored realms of great music, and if ECM doesn't want to be a part of it, so be it. We've seen folks drop Spotify and come back, hope they will too.

I have found a couple of ECM albums on Spotify: In Praise Of Dreams (2004), and Esoteric Circle (1983), both by Jan Garbarek. Probably a mistake, and perhaps there are others. Also, on the horrible Windows Phone app, when it worked, showed me the entire ECM catalog when I was on freemium. I could not actually play that content, however. Maybe it is a regional restriction, or a holdover from when it was available.

I believe ECM's position on streaming has to do with the fact that artists are paid peanuts every time their music is streamed.

Sure, I understand the theory. But album (digital and CD) sales are dropping off fast. Soon that will be peanuts as well. It is not coming back.