IGNORED

Aurender N10 Review

After much consideration and listening I put an N10 into my system a few days ago. I cannot yet say how much better it will be compared to my late 2014 Mac Mini running Amarra/JRMC but already after a day's listening it is head and shoulders above what I was listening to. And that it is a purpose driven system where a single manufacturer controls the hardware and software stack certainly helps. My experience with the combination of Mac Mini and Amarra drove me crazy. Occasional yet annoying dropouts had me chasing both hardware and software sources of the problem. Eventually it seemed to come down to a simple upgrade of OS X Yosemite from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4 that was the culprit. JRMC had no issues. Just really glad I've made this move. In a few weeks I'll see about replacing the stock power cord with something better, but right now I'm just enjoying the server.

How did you decide on the N10 vs other Aurender models?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

After much consideration and listening I put an N10 into my system a few days ago. I cannot yet say how much better it will be compared to my late 2014 Mac Mini running Amarra/JRMC but already after a day's listening it is head and shoulders above what I was listening to. And that it is a purpose driven system where a single manufacturer controls the hardware and software stack certainly helps. My experience with the combination of Mac Mini and Amarra drove me crazy. Occasional yet annoying dropouts had me chasing both hardware and software sources of the problem. Eventually it seemed to come down to a simple upgrade of OS X Yosemite from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4 that was the culprit. JRMC had no issues. Just really glad I've made this move. In a few weeks I'll see about replacing the stock power cord with something better, but right now I'm just enjoying the server.

Congratulations, that's excellent you are enjoying it too! I love mine, it sounds so good I can't stop listening - totally addicting. Give it a couple weeks though to reach its full potential. You may notice its a bit up and down during that time, but always better than the comparison. Bass and resolution in particular seemed to be the most up and down. Now after 2-3 weeks mine is pretty stable and sounds wonderful.

Looking forward to your follow up impression - post when you can...

How did you decide on the N10 vs other Aurender models?

For me it it was the linear power supplies, full size chassis, high end clock (I don't have an external one so it will be utilized) and AES/EBU output as it is the best sounding input in my TacT gear particularly at 24/192

Mine will be arriving this coming week, I'm very excited to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of keeping all the music under the covers, as long as the system is very quiet. Even using an external drive can create issues of both connectivity (whether wired or networked). And I knew that I wouldn't hit the limit of disk space for the current design. Also, this one would get me nearly the best sonic result (the build, and power supply design, etc.) for connecting to my Berkeley Alpha USB, while allowing a more direct connection to the Berkeley Reference DAC. I'm only into about 200 hours on the N10 so far. I've been told it should now begin to hit its stride though that may come in another 100 hours or so.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I'm new to this forum but I think I can add some to the conversation.

I have been waiting to go all digital for quite some time. Started years ago as an early adopter of Sonos through-out my home including the music room. The convenience was great but even with ripped CD's the quality was OK but certainly not great. I even added a Empirical Audio Synchromesh to improve the Sonos which it did but even that was not enough. As the years went along swapping out CD's and SACD's for a few track here than a few tracks on the next CD was getting old. I wanted to sit and listen period to great tracks augmented by streaming CD quality through Deezer or Tidal of artists that I did not have locally. That was my goal. I started down the path of a Mac Mini from conversations with PS Audio for their Direct Stream. The more I learned about the Mac Mini the more it just did not seem right for me. I know computers but not to the depth that it looked like I would need too. So decided to go to and audio show and do a little research.

So this last April I went to Axpona with the goal of finding a really good DAC and music server. Short and long of it I feel that I did. Ended up with a Bricasti M1 (special ordered in all Black) and at the show found out about the new N10. Since this was the first time I really had a chance to see/hear so many music servers it was a great experience. I had heard about Aurender and read reviews as have been commented here but the W20 just seemed to much $$'s but the less expensive ones had issues as far as I was concerned. I wanted a full rack unit in black and until the N10 there was no other option besides the W20. But beyond the superficial the more I learned about USB the more it just did seem the right connection. Granted it works but then again it had to since most music servers were homemade updates to a laptop. There was no other connection. To me USB would not even be considered on a new piece of equipment for audio if not for how this all started. So another big plus for me was the full complement of connections including AES. So I ordered both units a couple of weeks after the show.

My local dealer was kind enough to loan me his S10 which I had for several weeks including about 4 with my M1. This was great in that I could get used to the sound of the S10 plus get up to speed on the Aurender ap. So I just received my Black N10 about three weeks ago. The first batch of N10's were all silver so I needed to wait. What a nice looking unit!

Comments with between the S10 and N10 I would echo what others have mentioned - it’s just better. Mine I don't think is as broke in as the original thread starter but it’s getting there. I to like him hear some changes as the break in continues. Like him mine gets a little worse at times then comes back strong. Currently the base and soundstage is much improved and seems to be getting better.

Now I want to talk about the Aurender ap. All the reviews and even in this forum say how great the AP is. I agree it’s good but great or excellent no. Sonos ap particularly the latest is probably great maybe even excellent - their previous version sucked. That's not to say it’s not easy to use its just some of the functionality that I'm used to is not there. On the plus side the support is very good. Of particular issue is the text under albums and to not have track numbers show up in the queue for SACD's. I will eventually have around 150 SACD's so this has been a problem at least for me. I think the person I'm ripping these has figured out what to do but it’s not been easy. Also with so many SACD's they will almost nearly fill up the 4TB storage in the N10. So over the weekend I got a copy of a beta windows AMM for a NAS. My intention is to store all my CD's on the NAS. This worked really well. I also found out a few tricks on how to name the tab selections on the app that I think should work out fine. Oh just a note also I went with the mini iPad note the full size that size just seemed bigger then I wanted. I'm so glad I did this one is small and for me just the right size.

Last comment is I'm now building my ultimate playlist with local favorite tracks mixed in with Tidal tracks. I play on random or shuffle so I don't really know what is next except I know its going to be great. Sit there with a glass of single malt scotch listening to great music what could be better.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

So this last April I went to Axpona with the goal of finding a really good DAC and music server. Short and long of it I feel that I did. Ended up with a Bricasti M1 (special ordered in all Black) and at the show found out about the new N10.

Nice rundown. Thanks.

There's this outfit called The Voice That Is that likes to use the Bricasti DAC and Aurender streamers, along with Tidal (no relation to the service) hardware. Were you influenced by a visit to their room(s) at Axpona?

The reason I ask is that I was blown away by both their rooms at Capital Audio Fest last year, and the hardware combination just stuck in my mind.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I'm new to this forum but I think I can add some to the conversation.

I have been waiting to go all digital for quite some time. Started years ago as an early adopter of Sonos through-out my home including the music room. The convenience was great but even with ripped CD's the quality was OK but certainly not great. I even added a Empirical Audio Synchromesh to improve the Sonos which it did but even that was not enough. As the years went along swapping out CD's and SACD's for a few track here than a few tracks on the next CD was getting old. I wanted to sit and listen period to great tracks augmented by streaming CD quality through Deezer or Tidal of artists that I did not have locally. That was my goal. I started down the path of a Mac Mini from conversations with PS Audio for their Direct Stream. The more I learned about the Mac Mini the more it just did not seem right for me. I know computers but not to the depth that it looked like I would need too. So decided to go to and audio show and do a little research.

So this last April I went to Axpona with the goal of finding a really good DAC and music server. Short and long of it I feel that I did. Ended up with a Bricasti M1 (special ordered in all Black) and at the show found out about the new N10. Since this was the first time I really had a chance to see/hear so many music servers it was a great experience. I had heard about Aurender and read reviews as have been commented here but the W20 just seemed to much $$'s but the less expensive ones had issues as far as I was concerned. I wanted a full rack unit in black and until the N10 there was no other option besides the W20. But beyond the superficial the more I learned about USB the more it just did seem the right connection. Granted it works but then again it had to since most music servers were homemade updates to a laptop. There was no other connection. To me USB would not even be considered on a new piece of equipment for audio if not for how this all started. So another big plus for me was the full complement of connections including AES. So I ordered both units a couple of weeks after the show.

My local dealer was kind enough to loan me his S10 which I had for several weeks including about 4 with my M1. This was great in that I could get used to the sound of the S10 plus get up to speed on the Aurender ap. So I just received my Black N10 about three weeks ago. The first batch of N10's were all silver so I needed to wait. What a nice looking unit!

Comments with between the S10 and N10 I would echo what others have mentioned - it’s just better. Mine I don't think is as broke in as the original thread starter but it’s getting there. I to like him hear some changes as the break in continues. Like him mine gets a little worse at times then comes back strong. Currently the base and soundstage is much improved and seems to be getting better.

Now I want to talk about the Aurender ap. All the reviews and even in this forum say how great the AP is. I agree it’s good but great or excellent no. Sonos ap particularly the latest is probably great maybe even excellent - their previous version sucked. That's not to say it’s not easy to use its just some of the functionality that I'm used to is not there. On the plus side the support is very good. Of particular issue is the text under albums and to not have track numbers show up in the queue for SACD's. I will eventually have around 150 SACD's so this has been a problem at least for me. I think the person I'm ripping these has figured out what to do but it’s not been easy. Also with so many SACD's they will almost nearly fill up the 4TB storage in the N10. So over the weekend I got a copy of a beta windows AMM for a NAS. My intention is to store all my CD's on the NAS. This worked really well. I also found out a few tricks on how to name the tab selections on the app that I think should work out fine. Oh just a note also I went with the mini iPad note the full size that size just seemed bigger then I wanted. I'm so glad I did this one is small and for me just the right size.

Last comment is I'm now building my ultimate playlist with local favorite tracks mixed in with Tidal tracks. I play on random or shuffle so I don't really know what is next except I know its going to be great. Sit there with a glass of single malt scotch listening to great music what could be better.

Thanks for the post MichaelD

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yes his room in was awesome! That is where I got to hear the Bricasti first with s W20. I then made my way up to the Bricasti room again with a W20 and no matter what other DAC I hear none compared

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Yes his room in was awesome! That is where I got to hear the Bricasti first with s W20. I then made my way up to the Bricasti room again with a W20 and no matter what other DAC I hear none compared

It was our W20 in the Bricasti room at AXPONA, and we had our own room (554) with the N100 and the X100L. Since then we've added the N10 here, and one just arrived today for a customer.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody

I just bought an N10 and it is really amazing. It feeds a Totaldac d1 server and dual DAC and replaced a Bladelius Mimer streamer. SQ, easiness of use, quality of the case, etc are just outstanding.

Now I'm in the process of burning in (approx 60-80 up to now) and quality is going back and forth but always at great levels.

One only thing drives me crazy: turning off procedure. User's manual is not clear and straightforward.

I understood that if I want soft turning off (kind of stand by) I have to keep the front left button for one second and just release it.

The problem is if I want turning it off the hard way in order to switch off the rear power button without any risk for the hard disk.

Pressing the front panel left button until it flashes (5 seconds...as the manual recommends to operate the hard switch off) caused me a problem when I turned on again the Aurender (there was a warning message on the oled panel...'Restoring Aurender....Power...')...so I'm scared to repeate the operation and I am not able to chance the power chord....:-(

I contacted the customer service but up to now we did not understand each other despite their great availability and kindness.

Does anyone have any advice?

Regards and thanks

Fabio

Np

Hi everybody

I just bought an N10 and it is really amazing. It feeds a Totaldac d1 server and dual DAC and replaced a Bladelius Mimer streamer. SQ, easiness of use, quality of the case, etc are just outstanding.

Now I'm in the process of burning in (approx 60-80 up to now) and quality is going back and forth but always at great levels.

One only thing drives me crazy: turning off procedure. User's manual is not clear and straightforward.

I understood that if I want soft turning off (kind of stand by) I have to keep the front left button for one second and just release it.

The problem is if I want turning it off the hard way in order to switch off the rear power button without any risk for the hard disk.

Pressing the front panel left button until it flashes (5 seconds...as the manual recommends to operate the hard switch off) caused me a problem when I turned on again the Aurender (there was a warning message on the oled panel...'Restoring Aurender....Power...')...so I'm scared to repeate the operation and I am not able to chance the power chord....:-(

I contacted the customer service but up to now we did not understand each other despite their great availability and kindness.

Does anyone have any advice?

Regards and thanks

Fabio

I find it best to use the app Settings -> Aurender -> Turn off (at the bottom of the page). I never could get the five second hold method to work for me.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Np

I find it best to use the app Settings -> Aurender -> Turn off (at the bottom of the page). I never could get the five second hold method to work for me.

Thanks rwwjr44

Are you sure that is the best method for unplug the power chord without risking to damage the hard disk?

Fabio

Thanks rwwjr44

Are you sure that is the best method for unplug the power chord without risking to damage the hard disk?

Fabio

I would follow rwwjr44's advice - waiting for the unit to shut down completely - followed by switching off the unit on the backside before unplugging the power cord.

/ Marcus

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

Thanks rwwjr44

Fabio

That is the one that always works for me.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I would follow rwwjr44's advice - waiting for the unit to shut down completely - followed by switching off the unit on the backside before unplugging the power cord.

/ Marcus

...I used this approach several times w/o any issues due to vacation trips

mabe

mabe

DMelby: Thanks for the great review. I am also in the market for new music server, I looked into N10 as well as some others and CAPS 4. The price for N10 is pretty high as compared to any CPAS server. Questions is how comparable it is with CAPS 4, why CAPS 3 and not CAPS 4 was compared? What if a better USB card like JCAT is used over the SoTM or what if completely external leaner 300 watt external power supply like HD Plex 300w is used? Reason is even after adding these upgraded components the cost of CAPS server is still less than half of the N10.

Rafi

DMelby: Thanks for the great review. I am also in the market for new music server, I looked into N10 as well as some others and CAPS 4. The price for N10 is pretty high as compared to any CPAS server. Questions is how comparable it is with CAPS 4, why CAPS 3 and not CAPS 4 was compared? What if a better USB card like JCAT is used over the SoTM or what if completely external leaner 300 watt external power supply like HD Plex 300w is used? Reason is even after adding these upgraded components the cost of CAPS server is still less than half of the N10.

You might be interested in this article: Aurender W20 versus My PC+JPLAY - Hi-Fi Equipment - JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

The advantage of PC as a digital source is that it can be virtually endlessly improved by upgrading both software and hardware components. Some people don't want to spend time on that and just go for a complete player.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Hello all,

Courtesy DMelby's earlier post and other great reviews, I've recently pushed the button on an N10 to replace a Sonore, expected tomorrow and pretty stoked to hear it, get it set up.

1. Can anyone advise the ideal folder structure and any tips/traps copying music files across? I have about 1 TB mostly flacs with default cover art labelled, "folder.jpg". I understand the Aurender default is "front.jpg" and can also use back.jpg. Can it also use PDF's - ie back.pdf?

2. I'll be using the AES/EBU output from the N10 to connect to the AES/EBU input of my McIntosh MX151 - any MX151 users out there who can comment on their experience with this interface? Any issues?

3. WRT power - The N10 comes with Linear power supply - should I plug that directly into the mains or should I plug into my existing mains purifier/distribution board (Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier) Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution). Very much welcome your opinions on this as to optimum SQ, as I have one power socket left on the distribution board.

4. Also as a suggestion, it might make sense to have a separate forum/sub forum dealing specifically with the Aurender Conductor app/interfaces generally (Roon), which looks brilliant. Welcome opinions on this too.

Greetings from Sydney - Glad to be aboard.

Jim

PS >> My thanks to DMelby for such a thoughtful, considered review

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MC452 (L&R), McIntosh MC303, Revel Ultima Salon 2's (L&R), Revel Ultima Voice 2 (Centre), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Rears), McIntosh MC452 (Second Zone - 2 Channel), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Second Zone), MIT Magnum MA (Interconnects/XLR's), Audience AU24e (Speaker Cables), Furutech Evolution Digital AES/EBU, Aurender N10 (Music Server), Oppo BD95 (Blu-ray), Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier), Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution),

Nordost Blue Heaven (Power Leads),

Billy Bags (Cracked Glass, AV Rack)

~

Hi Rafi, Thank you for your question. I compared the N10 to CAPS 3 just simply because that is what I had to compare to is all. I had built and tweaked my CAPS over about an 18 month period using countless tweaks - each one did indeed made a nice improvement - so I felt like I had utilized even more advanced optimization techniques than the V4 CAPS which it was my impression was intended to update hardware rather than provide a fully tweaked system. I thought it was a better test system in the end than a basic V4. Also I was thinking of building a V4, but wanted to test the waters with an N10 first to see what the comparison was like. Good heavens, it was so far ahead of my CAPS, I never looked back.

Cost is a legitimate concern for sure. And of course, the effect and benefit is always dependent on the supporting components and cables.

I did power my CAPS and USB card with a Red wine battery power supply.

You raise an important question - could the best of the best compete with the N10? At least what I had did not even close, but honestly - Not sure? I was hoping that other members would add their experiences then we would all know together :)

As for the V3 CAPS with what I had installed - no contest, the N10 won and I have been so happy with my audio systems performance over the past few months. So beautiful! :)

As for price - I was very happy with my CAPS 3 and it worked just great in my past systems. As I moved up the audio ladder and other aspects of my system became crystal clear - the weaknesses of my CAPS became more and more apparent. So my tweaked CAPS didn't allow my to hear all the beauty present in my favorite recordings. But I would think a CAPS is an outstanding price value and can be a destination component in the right system. Hope this all makes sense.

You might be interested in this article: Aurender W20 versus My PC+JPLAY - Hi-Fi Equipment - JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

The advantage of PC as a digital source is that it can be virtually endlessly improved by upgrading both software and hardware components. Some people don't want to spend time on that and just go for a complete player.

Thank you Marcin. I read that review too, and that led me down the path of CAPS and tweaking. It was very fun to do all that - I really enjoyed the journey. But my experience was different in the comparison, so I thought I would add to the discussion.

Hello all,

Courtesy DMelby's earlier post and other great reviews, I've recently pushed the button on an N10 to replace a Sonore, expected tomorrow and pretty stoked to hear it, get it set up.

1. Can anyone advise the ideal folder structure and any tips/traps copying music files across? I have about 1 TB mostly flacs with default cover art labelled, "folder.jpg". I understand the Aurender default is "front.jpg" and can also use back.jpg. Can it also use PDF's - ie back.pdf?

2. I'll be using the AES/EBU output from the N10 to connect to the AES/EBU input of my McIntosh MX151 - any MX151 users out there who can comment on their experience with this interface? Any issues?

3. WRT power - The N10 comes with Linear power supply - should I plug that directly into the mains or should I plug into my existing mains purifier/distribution board (Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier) Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution). Very much welcome your opinions on this as to optimum SQ, as I have one power socket left on the distribution board.

4. Also as a suggestion, it might make sense to have a separate forum/sub forum dealing specifically with the Aurender Conductor app/interfaces generally (Roon), which looks brilliant. Welcome opinions on this too.

Greetings from Sydney - Glad to be aboard.

Jim

PS >> My thanks to DMelby for such a thoughtful, considered review

Thank you Jim! Hope you enjoy your N10, and please add your experiences to the discussion :)

Will do DMelby - although I've just learnt that my N10 is delayed a few days, coming directly from Korea - will report back to you all on some first impressions / Jim

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MC452 (L&R), McIntosh MC303, Revel Ultima Salon 2's (L&R), Revel Ultima Voice 2 (Centre), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Rears), McIntosh MC452 (Second Zone - 2 Channel), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Second Zone), MIT Magnum MA (Interconnects/XLR's), Audience AU24e (Speaker Cables), Furutech Evolution Digital AES/EBU, Aurender N10 (Music Server), Oppo BD95 (Blu-ray), Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier), Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution),

Nordost Blue Heaven (Power Leads),

Billy Bags (Cracked Glass, AV Rack)

~

Like the Aurender's SQ but dislike the bowel movement brown app color theme and inability to view with iPad in both the vertical and horizontal.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.