IGNORED

Gigabyte DAC-UP motherboards

Gigabyte has a range of 'audiophile-grade' motherboards that contain the so called USB DAC-UP technology. According to their website these kind of motherboards are able to provide clean, noise-free power delivery to a DAC. The technology is supposed to take advantage of an isolated power source that minimizes potential fluctuations.

Does anybody have experience with this and knows if this is a step up from a standard computer USB port and how this compares to a separate SotM USB card?

Has somebody been able to put a USB DAC-UP motherboard into a fanless Streacom FC5 case? For example the Gigabyt GA-B85N?

Hi,

I bought one of these boards with the DAC UP USB circuits. It does sound better than normal USB. I hoped an additional USB board unneeded. My setup was PC DAC UP to Lampi USB TranspOrt via Clarus Crimson USB then Lampi TrasnpOrt AESEBU to BigI7 AESEBU. I had hoped that Iwas done. NOT!

Curiosity required further experimentation.

I added a Paul Pang USB V2 card and there was really no contest between it and DAC UP USB. The Pang was just more natural and musical.

Then I upgraded to Paul Pang USB version 3. Even better. I usse the HD Plex Linear Power Supply for power.

Next I added the Uptone Audio REGEN. For those that think their set up is so good the REGEN will do nothing, I'd say give it a try. I'm almost 100% it will be a keeper.

My USB recipe?

REGEN + Paul Pang USB V4 + CLarus Crimson USB Cable + HD Plex Linear Power Supply + Lampi USB Transport = MUSIC

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

That is great feedback sgr. I am looking at the Paul Pang Card along with a friend.

Reading your feedback really gives me a good feeling.

Did you look at the SOtM card as well?

Yes I considered the SoTM. I'm sure it sounds great. I originally went with the PPand V2 USB because it was $125. It is a outstanding purchase and bargain. When Paul Pang brought out his new V4 it was a no brainier.

That is the only reason I did not try the SoTM.

By all reports the SoTM sounds great as well. Many like the JCat card as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel