IGNORED

Gigabyte DAC-UP motherboards

Dear Eurodriver,

I cannot specifically answer the OP’s question, however he raises issues relevant to my situation as I am considering a Gigabyte board with DAC-UP technology.

I am in the middle of building a combined high-end audio(hopefully)/HTTP server. Data input will be media NAS (custom) to server to DAC (Audiobyte Black Dragon) to desktop music system (headphones/2.1 nearfield speakers). The server will interface with the DAC via I2S (Pink Faun bridge) and USB (SOtM tX-USB). (I need USB to play DSD on the DAC.). HTTP (HDMI + 5.1 audio) will be via motherboard outputs (“…very powerfully graphics, as well as a heavy duty sound card…”) to 4K monitor and 5.1 speaker system. Power to server motherboard via HDPLEX linear PSU and probably battery PSU to ssd. I was not anticipating any decrement in sonics from the motherboard’s audio (or video) circuitry when using the Black Dragon (be it I2S or USB input) which are PCIe (northbridge). Currently I’m planning on using the Gibabyte GA-Z97MX board (fits my Streacom fc9 alpha, has enough PCI slots for my Pink Faun, SOtM and Ceton tuner cards and has reputedly great sonics for a (gaming)motherboard that is!). Am I making a big mistake?

Thanks in advance and for your other many valuable posts on this site!

Dear Eurodriver,

Thanks kindly for the advice. The 2 PC setup you describe makes some theoreticalsense and as I’m currently using Audio Optimizer (on my now ancient CAPS 2build) I’m aware of Phil’s high regard for said setup. I also do plan on trying W 10 (and ‘Optimizerwhen available) and will also dabble in HQ player upsampling redbook to DSD(hence the DSD-capable DAC). I’ve beenencouraged by some members positive results with single PC, ‘Optimizer and newJPlay however and was hoping to avoid the added cost and pain of acquiring newskills (I’m ‘computer functional’ not ‘computer literate’!) in setting up thedaunting (to me) 2 PC-core system. Also(and I’m way over my head here) I thought most of the video processing occursin the CPU (e.g. Intel Haswell) and not in the motherboard per se. Perhaps you refer to ANY video processing asmany are using Intel XEON CPUs (which appear to be Haswell minus videoprocessing) to power their audio computer systems? I also am encouraged that Mr. Pang is usingHaswell CPUs and Gigabyte motherboards in his highly regarded computer audioequipment. I do realize much is notknown with a high degree of certainty in computer audio. This is unfortunate as it appears manyfactors could be worked out with the application of basic science by changingone variable at a time then listening, measuring, ABXing, etc.,. (Not to open a can of worms, but anecdotalevidence, ‘series of ones’, uncontrolled ‘studies’, conformational biases, etc.,. are thenorm.). I’m guessing cost of such forwhat appears to be a relatively small market limits study. I was excited to read your comments in the “PaulPang Audio Motherboard clock upgrade” topic about plans to evaluate sonics withand without the upgrade. We need MUCHmore of that!

Thanks again!