IGNORED

2TB Samsung SSD - $800 on Amazaon

I wouldn't buy an Evo if you value your data.

Samsung's Pro line of drives seem reasonably reliable, though Samsung in general seem to have a habit of putting out bad firmware updates to their drives.

If you get one of these, make sure you also have a 2TB mechanical drive that everything is backed up to overnight on a daily basis.

Samsung's Pro line of drives seem reasonably reliable, though Samsung in general seem to have a habit of putting out bad firmware updates to their drives.

If you get one of these, make sure you also have a 2TB mechanical drive that everything is backed up to overnight on a daily basis.

Thanks for that info. I expect that there will be several brands available by the time I'm ready to buy. The Crucial m4 SSDs in 3 of our PCs have given no trouble.

In this case the bad firmware is in the Pro line and the EVO actually outperforms the Pro line

Tom's hardware just reviewed both

In this case the bad firmware is in the Pro line and the EVO actually outperforms the Pro line
The most recent incident, yes.

Typically the pro drives have been problem-free while the evo or other non-pro drives have had issues surface after 6-12 months.

Data integrity is more important than absolute performance. Pro drives are often a little slower than their consumer-based counterparts.

You wouldn't be buying a SATA drive these days if performance was your primary concern - you'd be buying an NVMe drive.

Granted, $800 is a lot of money for an SSD, even a 2TB SSD.

On the other hand, for those who can afford this item, it could allow one to put their entire music library entirely on SSD.

Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E2T0B/AM): Computers & Accessories

Joel

I have music on ejectable 1T SSDs. Just got a Transcesd 1TB for the record low

price of £220 and it is as fast as my Crucial 1TB. Iit is as tinny as the

Samsung Pros though.

I prefer the more rugged stuff such as the Sandisk Extreme Pro. There is evidence

in my setup of subtle SQ changes when the SSD casings are damped top and bottom.

fmak

I won't buy Samsung in Europe; the Warranty sucks and I had one rejected because

'the retailer's sourcing was not valid'. How the hell could I have known where the bloody thing

came from?

I think they violate EU Retail Law and I wish a lawyer would take them up on it.

The Samsung Pro seems to me a fad buy because of the reviews.

fmak

The most recent incident, yes.

Typically the pro drives have been problem-free while the evo or other non-pro drives have had issues surface after 6-12 months.

Data integrity is more important than absolute performance. Pro drives are often a little slower than their consumer-based counterparts.

You wouldn't be buying a SATA drive these days if performance was your primary concern - you'd be buying an NVMe drive.

I agree. I was just surprised to see their Pro line was released with a firmware issue compared to the EVO. It is mindboggling this would happen to their pro line in light of their recent history