IGNORED

Re Terminate USB

Has anyone ever cut and re terminate a usb cable with something like this?

connector_usb_connex

I have an older flat Wireworld usb I'd like to cut to length and re terminate. I realize the above won't fit perfectly but maybe I can get it to work. Wireworld doesn't sell the stock connectors.

Thx

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

connector_usb_connex

I have an older flat Wireworld usb I'd like to cut to length and re terminate. I realize the above won't fit perfectly but maybe I can get it to work. Wireworld doesn't sell the stock connectors.

Thx

Chris

Ideally, you need 2 different soldering irons, one with a very fine tip and low wattage, and the other higher wattage type to solder the shield wires to it's metal case . Separate the shield wires and fold them back to the side of the metal work while soldering the 4 wires with the fine tipped iron.You first need to carefully tin the grooves in the connector without filling them completely with solder. Do this with the connector slid into the case to hold it steady. After that , clip the 2 halves together and solder the shield wires to the metal case.You need good steady hands too, which is becoming a bit of a problem for me at my age (76) .

Perhaps there is a video on Youtube ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Ideally, you need 2 different soldering irons, one with a very fine tip and low wattage, and the other higher wattage type to solder the shield wires to it's metal case . Separate the shield wires and fold them back to the side of the metal work while soldering the 4 wires with the fine tipped iron.You first need to carefully tin the grooves in the connector without filling them completely with solder. Do this with the connector slid into the case to hold it steady. After that , clip the 2 halves together and solder the shield wires to the metal case.You need good steady hands too, which is becoming a bit of a problem for me at my age (76) .

Perhaps there is a video on Youtube ?

Alex

Very cool Alex. I can do that lol. I will checkout a utube too.

Thx!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Very cool Alex. I can do that lol. I will checkout a utube too.

Thx!

Chris

Hi Chris

I forgot to mention that a piece of Heatshrink tubing should be used to cover the bottom section of the plug after assembly.

I have made quite a few cables with the red +5V wire not connected in the USB-A plug at the computer end.

Regards

Alex

USB pinout diagram @ pinouts.ru

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

You first need to carefully tin the grooves in the connector without filling them completely with solder9oF4s9

I've found the easiest way to make this happen is to rapidly wipe the still liquid solder from the surface with a fine, lint-free polishing cloth. Be very careful not to get the molten solder on you or anything else - it'll burn. But wiping while hot will leave the surface well tinned with minimal solder bulk. Remember that you have to heat the metal, not the solder - if the solder doesn't melt when touched to the metal, the surface is not hot enough to properly tin or solder.

I've found the easiest way to make this happen is to rapidly wipe the still liquid solder from the surface with a fine, lint-free polishing cloth. Be very careful not to get the molten solder on you or anything else - it'll burn. But wiping while hot will leave the surface well tinned with minimal solder bulk. Remember that you have to heat the metal, not the solder - if the solder doesn't melt when touched to the metal, the surface is not hot enough to properly tin or solder.

Good idea. Thx.

And Thx too Alex, I was wondering what covering I could use.

Much appreciation guys!

Chris

connector_usb_connex

Thx

Chris

I used to have a MIL-STD soldering certification and I wouldn't want to tackle this. You'll need a soldering iron (not a "gun") with adjustable heat range and some kind of an "alligator-clip" wire vise to hold the connector and the wire steady while you solder:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXReurWr_cq66zhYdKI-lXUONTDoLUtyymOeNXDN7MsjvA11zF3UKKeUIimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSs8Hrnhp17rDhxB8VQWLKrPYMFJAwv5wBADmZetzI5MNMagQuQKU3SQoEwcw

Also, I think $10 for a bare USB connector is a lot of money, especially when complete certified USB cables can be bought for just a couple of dollars. The store-bought cables will be more reliable than home-brew as well.

Good luck!

George

Does anyone know of a good way to make another aluminium shield around that termination, much like what iFi does?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I think $10 for a bare USB connector is a lot of money, especially when complete certified USB cables can be bought for just a couple of dollars.

I get the solder type connectors over the counter from local Jaycar (Au.) stores for about $2.50 each.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting closer to trying this. However, my Silver Starlight 7 has 6 wires, pl power. But all the USB wiring diagrams use only 4 incl. power. So does this mean there are 2 wires being used for every solder point instead of 1??

Thanks!

Chris

Getting closer to trying this. However, my Silver Starlight 7 has 6 wires, pl power. But all the USB wiring diagrams use only 4 incl. power. So does this mean there are 2 wires being used for every solder point instead of 1??

Thanks!

Chris

You should do a continuity test from each of those wires to the pin outs on the other end of the cable to know. But, it sounds like they may use a twisted pair for each of ground, D- and D+.

I used to have a MIL-STD soldering certification... !

George,

What does a 'MIL-STD soldering certification' entail ??

A long time ago I had a full week (40hrs) soldering class, care of the US Army Missle Command. I wonder how different and similar the two are.

P.S. I like to use a small machine vise (2"-3") to hold RCA plugs for soldering up IC cables :)

sandy thanks for mentioning that!! i was at altronics over the weekend to see if they had solder usb plugtops (and they dont) but i can head on over to jaycar :)

Jaycar

PP0792 USB Plug -Type B- Solder type $2.45

PP0790 USB Plug -Type A -Solder type $2.45

Don't forget to get a suitable diameter ,length of heatshrink tubing from the Heatshrink bin too.

Regards

Alex

http://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=usb+plug&CSRFToken=ea905f0f-dc1f-4935-b651-d363e300e49f

George,

What does a 'MIL-STD soldering certification' entail ??

A long time ago I had a full week (40hrs) soldering class, care of the US Army Missle Command. I wonder how different and similar the two are.

P.S. I like to use a small machine vise (2"-3") to hold RCA plugs for soldering up IC cables :)

When I finished college, I was hired directly from school by Lockheed Missiles and Space Company, Sunnyvale, CA. They hired me as "junior engineer" that they called a 591. What that meant was that I was neither fish nor fowl. IOW, I was neither an engineer nor a technician, but rather I was somewhere in-between. I was salaried so that I could not join the union (that was good) but I also wouldn't be paid for overtime (that was bad), but I could do technician work and so I was sent to "soldering school". Like everything else, the military/aerospace industry has specs for everything. This includes soldering. They teach you how much solder is allowed to wick-up a wire end before it will fail an inspection, they teach you where on various parts solder is and isn't allowed to be, what temperatures to solder different materials, what size and shape soldering tip to use for different applications, how to hold the iron, where to apply the solder, and how much; how long to apply the iron to different types of connectors, circuit boards, and soldering strips, etc, as well as when to use 60-40 solder or silver solder. They also teach you how to make a good mechanical connection before applying solder, how long to cut through-hole leads on circuit boards, how to use Cinch-Jones crimp connectors for military/aerospace connectors, how to wire-wrap, etc.

At the end of the 2-week, 8-hour a day class, they give the student a soldering certification test. If you pass, you get a "Mil-Standard Certified Solderer" designator on your badge which had to be renewed every two years (I.E., they retest you). I suspect that what they taught you in the army wasn't too different. The main difference was probably that you were probably taught "repair" soldering (I'm guessing), and I was taught "fabrication" soldering because Lockheed "built" stuff that had to be inspected by Navy (in my case) or Air-Force inspectors. :)

George

You should do a continuity test from each of those wires to the pin outs on the other end of the cable to know. But, it sounds like they may use a twisted pair for each of ground, D- and D+.

Thanks Solstice.