IGNORED

Happy now... want to be even happier

Thanks for all your prior advice. The music sounds as good as my ears can hear these days.

My current system consists of a conventional backend... a tube amp and a pair of Merlin speakers. I have a Rega DAC-R connected with RCA cables (that's all the amp takes). It's front-ended with Apple TV (toslink... and yes, I know this limits the playback). I stream iTunes wirelessly from my MacBook Pro via AirPlay.

I may invest in a Mac Mini at some point, but not just yet. What I want to do is have the ability to remove the MacBook from the picture and also not have to use my TV as the Apple TV interface. At first I thought about getting a Koolertron/Lilliput 7" touch monitor and using my phone with VNC. This morning's epiphany(?) was... why don't I just buy a (used or refurbished) high capacity iTouch and use that as my iTunes library/remote via AirPlay.

Does that make sense?

As long as it will support the software you need to run.

I use an iPad Mini as my remote control. Bought the old version when they were being discounted to make room on the shelves for the newer version.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800