IGNORED

To NAS or not to NAS, this is the question!

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm no expert when it comes to computers so the thought of setting up a NAS is somewhat daunting. I'm also not convinced that this will give me the best or even the same level of SQ compared to stored music files but this is an assumption.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to set up a 2nd room (actually my main Hi Fi set up) with a DAC & access my music files (currently saved in iTunes but doesn't have to stay in iTunes).

My other system is a 2009 MacMini, into a PS Audio NuWave DAC into a pre etc.etc.. & I'm still having to manage this library separately to the iTunes library on my iMac as I'm not sure how to synch them??

I do have an older Apple TV (1st gen with 160 gig HD) which I was going to use but I started to think, maybe it would be easier to have the one library that I could access from both rooms.

So...how easy it is to set up a NAS? Which NAS do people recommend for a music setup? & would you use iTunes in a IOS setup?

Keen to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers

Matthew

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

I've been down this road so you may find my experiences relevant.

I started out with a Mac mini running Audirvana and played music via USB to a USB-to-SPDIF converter then to DAC etc. I wished to remove the mini from the playback chain so I bought a Synology NAS (DS412+). I installed MinimServer on the NAS, bought a renderer, ethernet-to-SPDIF converter, (Sonore Rendu) and now play the music using the BubbleUPnP controller app running on an android tablet. I found it very straightforward to install and set up the Synology NAS.

I transferred all my music (in an iTunes library) to the NAS. I use a computer on the network for ripping CDs, adding files to the library and editing metadata, but not for playback. I pointed MinimServer to the media folder of my iTunes library on the NAS. This approach works fine as long as only 1 computer is running iTunes - no problem for me as only I curate our music. Any music player hardware can access the music library on the NAS.

Whatever you decide to do don't forget to provide a backup strategy for your music library.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

I have both a Synology and Qnap. Both work well and I would not have a problem recommending either brand. Some points to think about:

(a) What is the storage max of the NAS. Some NAS drives have a 16TB volume limit regardless of how many bays it has.

(b) Does the NAS have expansion capabilities (can you add additional expansion bays later )

© Do you need features like direct connection via HDMI

Qnap probably gives you more bang for the buck when it comes to hardware while Synology has more software features

When it comes to NAS, I recommend spending a little more up front to get something at least 2X current storage needs with expansion capability.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Whatever you decide to do don't forget to provide a backup strategy for your music library.

Very good advise all around.

I have been using a Synology DS115j (single bay) NAS with a 2 TB WD Red drive for about a year now and have been VERY happy that I decided to go with the NAS route. I have three different flavors of OS (Windows, MAC & Linux) connected for various reasons.

Just consider that besides guarding against HDD failure, you need to protect against theft, fire, etc. It would be easy for a thieve to walk-off with your entire NAS unit for which a RAID "back-up" does not prevent. I back-up my NAS to an external HDD which I keep off-site, in my case, a safety deposit box at the bank.

The only hiccup I have had was when you do the file sharing, there is a checkbox to include all sub-folder, etc. At first, I could see the top level folder but nothing underneath. I finally stumbled across the check box and everything worked as advertised.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Everyone for being so helpful,

I've attempted to summarise what I think I need to do...

Hi All,

Invest in a NAS (need to think about back up strategy - Synology seems to be the most popular choice) which I would hook up to my iMac (main iTunes library plus some flac files) via an ethernet cable or wireless?.

I would then need to download a DNLA server (uPNP) on the NAS drive (or iMac?) & then tell the NAS where I store my music on my iMac?

I could then invest in a streamer, be it the likes of the Cambridge Audio magic streamer or CXN & it should "find" my music files stored on my NAS via the DNLA media server such as PLEX/ MinimServer on my wireless home network or via an ethernet cable (powerline adapter)? Does this sound right?

I assume setting up the NAS with a DLNA server like PLEX isn't too hard?

I then control the music via iPad, iphone etc..?

Cheers

Matthew

PS - If I set a NAS, I assume I would also able to access the NAS via my Mac Mini & use it as a streamer?

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

I run it the other way, I have an external drive hung off the mini which is on 24/7.

This gives me 6tb of storage.

I also have partitions on this for Time Machine backups of both my Macs.

Positive side really fast storage, self mounts, no maintenance of OS.

The Mac has all the power should you need to encode video etc for streaming.

My set up

MinimServer installed on MacMini which feeds my Aries streamer.

I then use Chronosync to back up two further drives for on site and off site storage.

If you have the Mini why not use it and save the NAS costs?

Some of this depends on what your storage size needs are?

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

I use a Synology NAS and am very happy with this setup. The advantages of a NAS include:

--can feed music to equipment in any room (with internet connection, of course)

--larger storage than most computers are equipped with

--no need to run a computer to play music (some people don't like having to keep a computer on (too much like work), in my case I have nowhere to put it in the music room

--no need to run a computer 24/7 in order to keep music available

I found the Synology software easy to learn, with just a couple of tricks like that checkbox for shared folders.

The one item in your summary above that isn't quite right is that you connect the NAS directly to your network, not to the Mac mini. (Well, you can connect it to the computer, but then you have to leave the computer on all the time.) In my house, the main router is in my study near the big desktop computer; an ethernet cable runs to the music room, where I have a network switch (basically a dumbed-down router) that provides connections to my NAS and my PS Audio Bridge installed in my DirectStream DAC. I use a wired network, which used to be more reliable. I hear that nowadays people are using wireless even to stream hi-res audio, but I can't give you any advice about that. In my house it's not difficult to run wires, so I just did that.

I recommend setting up a RAID system with two hard discs. This looks like just one disc when you copy files etc., and whatever you put on the NAS is copied to both discs automatically. That way if one fails you have a backup. As others have mentioned, you need another off-site backup to guard against fire etc. I had never set up a RAID system before but the Synology software made it very easy.

I ended up putting my non-music files on the NAS as well, which makes it convenient to work either in my study upstairs or at another computer downstairs -- no more putting files on thumb drives and so forth. There is a learning curve with all this stuff, but I have found it well worth the effort.

You have lots of options depends on your needs.

Nothing to stop you hanging a drive of the mini and getting the streaming set up.

Once you have tried this route you can add the NAS if that's the route you want to take and use the external as the backup drive.

Setup:

Hi All,

Once again, thanks for all the hints & tips.

I think I've decided to look into setting up a media server on my iMac as a starting point & then maybe invest in a NAS (Raid system) so I have a master file(s) of all my music. This way it will be easier to manage my music & not having to copy files over to a 2nd library etc..

The x2 UPnP media servers I'm looking into are MinimServer & Plex but I'm sure they're are more? I've also heard that some NAS's come with media server software built in so I'll have a poke around online & forums & see what I can discover but I keep seeing Synology come up so I'll start there.

What will be important to me is ease of use & interface via a headless remote so any tips, send them my way.

I also looked at the Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer today:

CX N - Upsampling Network Music Player | Cambridge Audio

It looks an interesting product which has reviewed well recently & for approx. $1400 in Australia, which I think isn't too bad for the money considering you get a streamer with a nice colour screen & a DAC. I've seen plenty of other streamers cost x2, x3 times as much & I was looking into buying a Auralic Aries mini & DAC for about the same money.

Anyway, it will come down to sound quality in the end..

Cheers

Matthew

As a starting point as you already have iTunes you could add the drive, take a trail of Apple music.

For a little investment buy an Apple TV, then airplay over from you main MAC.

I have an Auralic Aries, I use its app on my IPAD to stream my main library and then use AirPlay from my MAC Mini, iPhone or iPad to stream Apple Music.

Setup:

Hi Keeper,

This is what used to do before buying the 2009 Mac Mini. As I'm not particularly IT savvy I just set up a 2nd library on the MM so I do still have the Apple TV (160 gig HD version) but I think things have moved on sonically, hence all the questions about a NAS & looking at streamers etc.

How do you find using your Auralic Aries? I've been looking at their mini Aries.

Cheers Matthew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is fine sounds great. I use it for my local AIFF content, then airplay for iTunes Music.

I did use Qobuz but not enough for the £20 a month I find Apple provide me with better suggestions to listen to...

Setup:

I also looked at the Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer today:

CX N - Upsampling Network Music Player | Cambridge Audio

It looks an interesting product which has reviewed well recently & for approx. $1400 in Australia, which I think isn't too bad for the money considering you get a streamer with a nice colour screen & a DAC. I've seen plenty of other streamers cost x2, x3 times as much & I was looking into buying a Auralic Aries mini & DAC for about the same money.

Hi Matthew,

From your sig you already have UPnP/DLNA (& AirPlay) network streaming capability in your 2x Marantz SR6006 AVRs. Have you tried them as music file streamers? They may save you having to get the dedicated streaming devices.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Cebella,

True, I could use my HT amps but I'm trying to separate as much as possible multi-channel from plain old 2CH stereo. I will certainly look into this option though if I want to start ripping digital copies of my movies etc. but at this stage I'm only looking to storage/steaming options for my music files.

Keeper - I've not looked into iTunes new music serving as yet but will more than likely take up the offer for a three month free trial.

Cheers

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
I use a Synology NAS and am very happy with this setup. The advantages of a NAS include:

--can feed music to equipment in any room (with internet connection, of course)

--larger storage than most computers are equipped with

--no need to run a computer to play music (some people don't like having to keep a computer on (too much like work), in my case I have nowhere to put it in the music room

--no need to run a computer 24/7 in order to keep music available.

Hi

None of the advantages you listed would really benefit me, tbh. I live in a studio with bedroom and living room all in the same space.

My dual pc set up is: Control PC = W8, Minimserver, Kazoo and JPLAY, with music storage on local HDD via internal sata (< 2TB). Audio PC = Server R2 and JPLAY. Both PC's directly connected via ethernet and optical bridge (2 x FMC).

What would I stand to gain by switching to a NAS? Better SQ?

Okay, I've decided to try out a NAS for the first time (Synology 215j ordered)

My current set up is: Single PC running JPLAY/AO/Minimserver/Kazoo + Virgin Media Superhub 2AC modem/ router with 4 x gigabit Lan ports . So, there is only one PC on the network and no peripherals, such as printers. Am I right in thinking that there is no immediate need for an ethernet switch?

I also have two FMC's (MC220L's) left over from the previous dual pc set up. Where would these best go in relation to the NAS and audio PC?

Thanks in advance :)

My current set up is: Single PC running JPLAY/AO/Minimserver/Kazoo + Virgin Media Superhub 2AC modem/ router with 4 x gigabit Lan ports . So, there is only one PC on the network and no peripherals, such as printers. Am I right in thinking that there is no immediate need for an ethernet switch?

I also have two FMC's (MC220L's) left over from the previous dual pc set up. Where would these best go in relation to the NAS and audio PC?

You might get a better response over at the network & streaming section, eg, may be post your FMC question in this thread:

Incidentally, I'm not sure why you are on the one hand be optimising the use of the single PC for audio file network streaming playback with the use of JPlay and even Audiophile Optimizer, yet on the other hand be 'burdening' the PC (& the network) by also unnecessarily running the excellent MinimServer UPnP media server and the Kazoo OpenHome Media (ohMedia, aka UPnP with Linn extensions) control point, if that is your intention.

Part of the benefit of UPnP is the ability to distribute the processing by using different devices on the network. So, your forthcoming Synology NAS, where the music files are actually stored, could run MinimServer instead of the playing PC. Similary, you can run Kazoo for controlling the playback, building playlists, etc, on another device eg, iPad, Windows tablet/laptop, etc.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The FMCs are best used to connect to the network the computer that is connected to your DAC. So if this computer is connected to your router you would use the FMCs on that connection.

Alternatively you could get the 8 port fiber switch and use an FMC on both your computer and NAS.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Oops, fortgot to post the link, sorry:

You might get a better response over at the network & streaming section, eg, may be post your FMC question in this thread:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/optical-network-configurations-24641/index8.html

-- Jo Cox

Incidentally, I'm not sure why you are on the one hand be optimising the use of the single PC for audio file network streaming playback with the use of JPlay and even Audiophile Optimizer, yet on the other hand be 'burdening' the PC (& the network) by also unnecessarily running the excellent MinimServer UPnP media server and the Kazoo OpenHome Media (ohMedia, aka UPnP with Linn extensions) control point, if that is your intention.

Hi. Yes, the 215j should take some of the burden off my J1900 based PC by doing the minimserver transcoding (assuming its processor and memory are adequate for the task).

Hopefully the NAS will also accept my Samsung M9T 2.5" 2TB drives, with C type disk holder, even though it's not on Synology's compatible list. I figured that they should work, although not sure. :)

Thanks..

The FMCs are best used to connect to the network the computer that is connected to your DAC. So if this computer is connected to your router you would use the FMCs on that connection.

Alternatively you could get the 8 port fiber switch and use an FMC on both your computer and NAS.

Great, so one at the router end and the other at the PC. Cheers,

Hi All,

Orinal poster here....Thanks to everyone who's added to this thread....I think I understand things now??

I've now set up a MininServer on my iMac (just to see if I could & it was easy) & I have been looking at a few Synology NAS drives that I think would be a god fit as a dedicated NAS for music/photo's & backup (via time machine)....but mainly "optimised for music"?

So...what I'm interested in knowing is everyone's thoughts on the Synolgy DS214play? If not this model, what else would people suggest?

Also, what drives are a good fit for both the Synology NAS & for music storage? It's been suggest WD Red but I wouldn't know???

Cheers

Matthew

So...what I'm interested in knowing is everyone's thoughts on the Synolgy DS214play? If not this model, what else would people suggest?

Also, what drives are a good fit for both the Synology NAS & for music storage? It's been suggest WD Red but I wouldn't know???

+1

If using Minimserver to transcode MP3, in conjunction with JPLAY Streamer, then you need ffmpeg- and the latter is apparently only supported if the NAS has an intel CPU. So I'm now interested in the 214play rather than 215j, assuming it's the cheapest model with intel CPU.

Bought the 214play because I wanted the highest Intel horsepower I could get in an affordable 2 disk NAS for audio playback and it has not disappointed. Out of the box it performed as well as my temperamental Server 2012 AO optimized PC for UPNP file server music playback quality. Only quibble is that the power supply connection is a bit loose, can easily come unplugged if you move the NAS. The SSD's I use aren't necessary if you use an upgraded 12V DC power supply like the HDPlex but at the time I bought I was skeptical about power supply options like Teradak/HDPlex and SSD's were a known quantity to boost performance.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi davide256,

Does this mean the colour is an indication of intended use or just that is a higher spec that people find works well as a NAS HD?