IGNORED

Javier Perianes Grieg Piano Concerto (24/96) has a serious issue!

I just purchased the 24/96 Harmonia Mundi album of Javier Perianes playing the Grieg piano concerto (very good by the way, reviewed here on my blog: Two new recordings of the Grieg Piano Concerto* | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms), and this is what Musiscope gives me, a brutal cutoff at 24khz. Something is fishy in the kingdom of Denmark. This is surprising as I usually found Harmonia Mundi to be reliable. I'll drop a note to Qobuz customer service, see what they come back with.

01-01-Edvard_Grieg-I_Allegro_molto_moderato-SMR.m4a_report.png

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/grieg-piano-concerto-lyric-pieces-javier-perianes-bbc-symphony-orchestra-sakari-oramo/3149020220528

What do the Lyric Pieces look like? The concerto is a live recording and obviously recorded in 24/48, but the other pieces were recorded at a different time (I assume).

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

What do the Lyric Pieces look like? The concerto is a live recording and obviously recorded in 24/48, but the other pieces were recorded at a different time (I assume).

Good point. The Lyric pieces look more legit (solo piano typically doesn't have a lot of high frequency content), at least no clear cutoff. Well, let's see what Qobuz has to say.

01-05-Edvard_Grieg-Lyric_Pieces_Op_38_VIII_Kan-SMR.m4a_report.png

In the meantime, Qobuz while investigating this further proposed a free exchange towards a new download, which is excellent customer service. However, as Axiom05's hypothesis seems plausible I'll probably just keep the album, which is excellent and sounds pretty ok (with the limitation that the Barbican Theatre where it was recorded has bad acoustics).

Harmonia Mundi already gave quite detailed recording information in the booklet, it would be so helpful if they could simply indicated the native recording format as well.

I just purchased the 24/96 Harmonia Mundi album of Javier Perianes playing the Grieg piano concerto (very good by the way, reviewed here on my blog: Two new recordings of the Grieg Piano Concerto* | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms), and this is what Musiscope gives me, a brutal cutoff at 24khz. Something is fishy in the kingdom of Denmark. This is surprising as I usually found Harmonia Mundi to be reliable. I'll drop a note to Qobuz customer service, see what they come back with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19709[/ATTACH]

Grieg : Piano Concerto & Lyric Pieces | Edvard Grieg par Javier Perianes – Download and listen to the album

They should give you a chance to pick up for free another album of your selection. BTW, ask HM as well.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Maybe they took those two different recordings (one in 24/48, the other in 24/96) to master them in one session (in 24/96) for the album. If they decide to release them in 24/96, they should clearly indicate the recording resolution for the upsampled tracks.

This sometimes happens with compilations on HDtracks, where some older tracks were recorded in 16/44 resolution but get released on a 24/96 album.

Claude

Maybe they took those two different recordings (one in 24/48, the other in 24/96) to master them in one session (in 24/96) for the album. If they decide to release them in 24/96, they should clearly indicate the recording resolution for the upsampled tracks.

This sometimes happens with compilations on HDtracks, where some older tracks were recorded in 16/44 resolution but get released on a 24/96 album.

That is also my hypothesis.

Qobuz by now has confirmed that the file looks like 24/48 and they have reached out to Harmonia Mundi for clarification.

Any further response on this recording? I have found that the music sellers are very responsive but the record labels are not. I have never had an issue resolved at the level of the record label.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond