IGNORED

Ifi Micro iDAC2 vs ???

This has been available to buy for several weeks now?

I've only noticed two user reviews on the net, so there doesn't seem to be that much enthusiasm for this ifi model so far AFAICT.

Kinda weird that it solely relies on USB for power. Or not?

It's practical but are those 5v? too little? Good question.

• 2 weeks later...
This has been available to buy for several weeks now?

I've only noticed two user reviews on the net, so there doesn't seem to be that much enthusiasm for this ifi model so far AFAICT.

Kinda weird that it solely relies on USB for power. Or not?

Is this Head Fi review one of the user reviews you refer to?

Link;

“A very good all-new 2015 version iFi iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp” - rickyleelee’s Review of iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp

What has the Chord more SQ..?

The cost of the Chord is a lot more but the sound quality in some areas better than the iDAC 2 but in some areas worse. Neither better or worst its a personal thing, I own the iDSD nano (soon iDAC2) so I already have become familiar with that SQ from ifi

• 3 weeks later...

For what is worth as an owner of this iDAC2 here is my feedback.

Technology is moving relatively fast and this is no exception when it comes to DAC's. 20 years ago when I was a teenager, I went to my local high-end audio store and the store manager had given me an advice on DAC's that have struct me and stuck in my head ever since. "Buy a DAC that you feel comfortable spending money on which brings musical satisfaction to your ears". Today we have a plethora of good selections out there that bring musical satisfaction to our ears without spending thousands of dollars. As I am a father of two, spending money carefully is highly important. DAC's are the type of units that typically loose their value as technology is progressing in comparison to speakers, turntables, amps etc. 20 years ago there was no such thing as 96k files never mind anything higher than that.

As I continue to enjoy LP's due to widely known benefits, I've been keen on DAC's that are musical and most importantly provide enjoyment in to listening to music. Prior to purchasing an iDAC2, I had an ASUS STX sound card and quickly switched to a Centrance Dacport LX as it was all around superior to the ASUS STX sound card. I've been enjoying this DAC for roughly 3 years however as technology is moving now to DSD, I wanted to get a DAC that would cover all future sampling rates but most importantly being musical.

The iDAC2 fits the bill nicely and overall sound improvement to the Dacport LX is large enough to justify this purchase and then some more. It is a very musical DAC for the money with a really good sense of details and space. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Happy listening!

• 1 month later...

To fill in the blank in the thread title, I would guess that if any DAC would be a direct competitor to the idac2 in the price range it would be Schitt's Bifrost (although the Bifrost doesn't play back the near 12 DSD albums available, and to that end you're not paying for a feature you're not using).To respond to the post directly above mind, I don't think the idac2 is really intended for headphone use more than it is for desktop use. I think the iCan or the idsd Micro is really where you wanna look if your main listening mode is headphones.Personally I was back and forth between the idac2 and the Bifrost for a while and went with the idac2 because it was cheaper and the chip in it is the same as the idsd micro which got lots of good press. I'll get it and set it up this afternoon.I'll probably post some impressions in a couple of weeks after I've gotten used to how it sounds.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

• 1 month later...

I never got the device. I bought it from amazon using prime and the it was fulfilled by a 3rd party that totally skimped out on shipping costs. It got damaged in transit and since they didn't have any more of them they refunded my money.

I decided that I wasn't supposed to have that DAC and since there's no music in DSD that I would actually listen to anyways (I like metal) I decided to save up for the Schiit Bifrost Multibit instead. Sorry to let folks down ITT that were waiting for my thoughts on it. I guess I can say don't use free prime shipping. Pay extra for priority.

• 4 weeks later...
To fill in the blank in the thread title, I would guess that if any DAC would be a direct competitor to the idac2 in the price range it would be Schitt's Bifrost (although the Bifrost doesn't play back the near 12 DSD albums available,.

12 DSD albums available?

Sound Liaison alone has 11; Sound Liaison Music Shop (on sale until tomorrow evening for $11.)

But if you go to a site like Native DSD https://www.nativedsd.com/ You got 814!

Blue Coast records Blue Coast Records | Exceptional Acoustic Recordings has a whole lot etc.

12 DSD albums available?

Sound Liaison alone has 11; Sound Liaison Music Shop (on sale until tomorrow evening for $11.)

But if you go to a site like Native DSD https://www.nativedsd.com/ You got 814!

Blue Coast records Blue Coast Records | Exceptional Acoustic Recordings has a whole lot etc.

I'm just kinda jaded on the fact that there is no music I would actually listen to in DSD. Classical, jazz and female vocals is basically all you get in that format. That is fine if thats what you like but I listen to metal so I gave up on the format really quickly once I saw nothing of value to me in it. And all the classic rock in DSD I would listen to I already have on vinyl so meh all around.