IGNORED

Could a laptop be a "bottleneck"

Hi

My systems is as follows:

NAS with music files (mp3, Flac and Hirez Flac) wired (UTP 6e cable) to a router (Asus n55u);

Laptop (pentium, 1Gb ram, running Win Vista and Jriver software) wired to the Asus router;

Pioneer n50a streamer wifi connected to the router.

My question is, could that laptop be a "bottleneck" in that system?

I'm having problems streaming hirez files (24bits) and i'm trying to detect what can cause them.

Thanks in advance

Regards

cmg

Caveat...I don't have an n50a so not sure if there is something unique about the device. That said...

The laptop should be a bottleneck if it isn't in the audio chain...but you don't say if you using the laptop/Jriver as the media server (with the files on the NAS) or some s/w on the NAS to serve the music. If the former, suggest you try playing the 24bit files back on the laptop using headphones/speaker. If the laptop can play the file locally, your issue isn't the laptop but your wireless connection to your n50a. If you have s/w on the NAS acting as the media server, than your issue is your wireless.

Drew

The laptop is not your bottleneck (yet). Your router is.

You need to add a network switch to handle network duties in place of your router which is carrying the load right now. A 5 port gigabit switch will add much more efficiency in your network. These cost from $15 to $40 depending on the specs.

Good luck.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I recently exchanged a Pioneer N50-a for a Marantz NA6005. I was having problems with the Pioneer buffering frequently. In the same network environment the Marantz does not buffer when playing 24 bit 96khz files, even 24-192 FLAC is just fine.

Do not however let my experience influence you too much, there is a tendency for us to forget just how many parts are involved in streaming and controlling music.

Make your chain as simple as possible, get as high a spec a router as you can afford.

Make some tests with your two potential servers and see which one causes buffering.

Stream from the laptop the most complex and highest definition file you have, note any buffing issues.

Then stream from the NAS the same file while the laptop is "sleeping" and see what buffering you get.

That is one way to pinpoint the weak link in your pathway.

This under the presumption that you issue is with buffering, as you did not specify in your post. If it with file formats, perhaps your laptop or NAS software is set to transcode if you are not getting the format you expect.

Having had the Pioneer, it is an excellent device, just because I had buffering issues it does not mean it is the cause of your issues.

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

A few things to try.

First off, I assume you are running J.River as your UPnP server. If this is the case it would be worth copying some of the files you have issue with to the laptop's HDD and trying playing those; do you still get drop outs?

Second, what make/model is the NAS? Can you run MinimServer on the NAS? This is a versatile alternative to using J.River.

Finally could you describe what exactly the "problems" with the High Res files are. There are a lot of possibilities.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I had to do exactly as Eloise has eluded to in her post. I was running a brand new MacMini as my server and had buffering issues with both the Pioneer and the Marantz.

So under guidance so from Eloise and another user here, Chopssr, I moved all my library to the NAS (Synology) installed MinimSever and Bubble as the control point.

Since removing the MacMini from the process, all my buffering issues have stopped.

Also, the NAS streams files with no transcoding, I always get exactly what I am expecting on the Marantz device.

It was a lot to learn moving to the NAS environment, but very worthwhile.

Also it means you are running less devices to achieve the aim, which is always good.

If I had taken these steps while I had the Pioneer, I would have kept it, it is a great device, but the Marantz is good too!

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.