IGNORED

Top 10 music that gives me goose bumps

Your blog is truly great. There are quite a few pieces I don't know in your top 10 list: nice discoveries in perspective; many thanks for these.

Thanks Boris for the kind words. Now an obvious next step is to write posts about each one of these pieces. The first one is coming up tomorrow, a post on Cosi Fan Tutte.

Out of curiosity, which ones didn't you know?

After publishing this post, I got curious and went out to find how you actually get the goose bumps from music.

Seems like music is piggy-backing on an internal reward system that usually reacts to sex and high-fat foods:

Why Do Certain Songs Give You Goosebumps? | NME.COM

Wow, this post just turned out to be my most successful so far in only 2 days. Seems like people like lists. Nick Hornby had a point :-) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fidelity_(novel))

Thanks all of you for your interest, and don't forget, I'm still waiting for your personal goose bump music!

A reaction to sex and high-fat food? Oh, dear; I'm so old and decrepit that even those fail to give me goosebumps ;-)

But a lot of music still gives me immense pleasure. Here are some examples, piggybacking on your choices and in no particular order:

-Mozart, Cosi' fan Tutte: Come scoglio immoto resta

-Brahms, Piano Concerto No. 2

-Bach, Mass in B minor

-Bach, Cantata Ich habe genug

-Handel, yes, Lascia ch'io pianga from Rinaldo

-Purcell, definitely, When I am laid in earth

-Wagner, Kurvenal's horn solo from Tristan

-Verdi, Don Carlo, Ella giammai m'amo'

-Mozart, Piano Concerto No. 21, Andante

-Modern Jazz Quartet, Django

. . . and so many others.

Best regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

A reaction to sex and high-fat food? Oh, dear; I'm so old and decrepit that even those fail to give me goosebumps ;-)

But a lot of music still gives me immense pleasure. Here are some examples, piggybacking on your choices and in no particular order:

-Mozart, Cosi' fan Tutte: Come scoglio immoto resta

-Brahms, Piano Concerto No. 2

-Bach, Mass in B minor

-Handel, yes, Lascia ch'io pianga from Rinaldo

-Purcell, definitely, When I am laid in earth

-Wagner, Kurvenal's horn solo from Tristan

-Verdi, Don Carlo, Ella giammai m'amo'

-Modern Jazz Quartet, Django

. . . and so many others.

Best regards,

Guido F.

I got some nice recommendations here and elsewhere. I suppose this would warrant another blog. By the way, I can sign to 100% of your selection

-Bach, Mass in B minor

- Vivaldi: Gloria in D major RV 589, opening movement Gloria in excelsis Deo

- Mondonville: Grand motet Dominus regnavit, opening movement Dominus regnavit

- Bach: Cantata BWV 106, a.k.a. Actus Tragicus

- Bach: St. Matthew Passion, alto aria Erbarme dich, mein Gott

- Bach: Cantata Christen, ätzet diesen Tag BWV 61, alto recitative secco O selger Tag!

Not concerto, but...

- Scarlatti: Sonata K. 213 in D minor

Other keyboard pieces in various styles:

- Bach: Fantasias, e.g. Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue, BWV 903

- Froberger: Programmatic preludes, e.g. Plainte faite à Londres pour passer la mélancolie, laquelle se joue lentement avec discrétion from Suite XXX, and Lamento sopra la dolorosa perdita della Real Maesta di Ferdinando IV Re de Romani from Suite XII

- Soler: Fandango in D minor

Solo violin:

- Pisendel: Sonata in A minor

- Ernst: Polyphonic study No. 6 - Last Rose of Summer

I've noticed is I have gotten older (I'll be 75 in Sept.), I am drawn more to the slower movements for goosebumps. Too many to mention here, but I have also noticed the goosebumps come more often in the form of watery eyes. Just about anything Beethoven be it orchestral or piano does it big time for me.

I know...

- Bach: Double violin concerto BWV 1043, middle movement Largo ma non tanto

- Mozart: Sinfonia concertante for violin and viola K 364, middle movement Andante

- Mozart: Clarinet concerto K 622, middle movement Adagio

When Aretha Franklin sings "My doctor said take it easy..." in Chain of Fools and really stretches out the eee sound, it gives me goose bumps every time.

I'm not much of a classical guy, but the Ode to Joy section of Beethoven's Ninth will usually give me goose bumps.

I was fortunate enough to see Seiji Ozawa's Silver Anniversary performance with the BSO on the Boston Common in 1998. The Maestro had recently been very ill with the flu, and it was not known if he would conduct. Federico Cortese, the new assistant conductor, conducted the first movements of Beethoven's Ninth, the piece chosen to perform for this Silver Anniversary performance.

When Ozawa came out to conduct the Ode to Joy, the crowd went absolutely nuts. The only real comparison I can make is to a sporting even where the injured superstar comes in at the last minute to win the game.

When Aretha Franklin sings "My doctor said take it easy..." in Chain of Fools and really stretches out the eee sound, it gives me goose bumps every time.

I'm not much of a classical guy, but the Ode to Joy section of Beethoven's Ninth will usually give me goose bumps.

I was fortunate enough to see Seiji Ozawa's Silver Anniversary performance with the BSO on the Boston Common in 1998. The Maestro had recently been very ill with the flu, and it was not known if he would conduct. Federico Cortese, the new assistant conductor, conducted the first movements of Beethoven's Ninth, the piece chosen to perform for this Silver Anniversary performance.

When Ozawa came out to conduct the Ode to Joy, the crowd went absolutely nuts. The only real comparison I can make is to a sporting even where the injured superstar comes in at the last minute to win the game.

I really like Aretha, haven't listened to her for ages, thanks for reminding!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever gotten actual goosebumps from listening to music, but certainly many works and/or performances send me into orbit or into some alternate state. Here are a few (in no particular order):

- the slow movements from the Beethoven 7th and Brahms 4th

- the end of Strauss's Elektra

- the Presentation of the Silver Rose from Strauss's Der Rosenkavslier

- Leontyne Price singing 'Depuis le jour' from Charpentier's Louise

- the end of the Mahler 8th

- Matthias Goerne's first recording (Decca) of Schubert's Die schöne Müllerin

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Ice ice baby by Vanilla Ice always gave me goosebumps .

Jimmy, that is your autonomic nervous system triggering the "flight-or-fight" response.

For me, I can think of a few off the top of my head:

Voodoo Chile / Jimi Hendrix

Ball and Chain / Big Brother and the Holding Company

Stella by Starlight / Miles Davis from the Live at Carnegie albums

Reach for Tomorrow / Ella from the "Epitaph" album

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

- Allegri's Miserere, especially the Tallis Scholars' first recording of the piece.

- Third movement (Elegia) of Christopher Rouse's Flute Concerto

- Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower"

- Nirvana's live MTV performance of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

- Most anything recorded by Howlin' Wolf (although those goose bumps are more fear-related)

- Allegri's Miserere, especially the Tallis Scholars' first recording of the piece.

- Third movement (Elegia) of Christopher Rouse's Flute Concerto

- Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower"

- Nirvana's live MTV performance of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

- Most anything recorded by Howlin' Wolf (although those goose bumps are more fear-related)

Hendrix's guitar lead in at the start of the song is one of the best pieces of rock music ever done. Hits like a sledge hammer. I think Rolling Stone rated the song around the top 50 in rock history. I would put it in my top 5. Great cover of Dylan.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

-

"You'll Be Mine" is a particular favorite.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The Band, "Chest Fever," original version (though the live one from "Rock of Ages" is great also).

This is horribly recorded, so don't look for great sound. Somehow that makes it better​. It is like some lurching, unstoppable machine of immense power held barely in check (the bad recording helps to give that sense of something straining to break forth from bonds).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just about any recording of Mahler's 2nd "Resurrection" symphony, esp. the last 5 minutes or so, when the heaven's open up.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system