IGNORED

OS X El Capitan 10.11 Issues

Jud

I've moved forward to 10.11 from 10.9 on my system, and am in the process of upgrading all my 10.10 systems. So far, the only issue (which I already knew about) was that menumeters doesn't work on 10.11. I guess I will have to buy iStatMenu, but it doesn't show each individual processor. I want to see all 8 of them!!!

Bill, I've attached a version of MenuMeters that works. Close and re-open System Preferences after the error message.

I am not Bill but thank you for posting this, it works great under El Capitan!

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Bill, I've attached a version of MenuMeters that works. Close and re-open System Preferences after the error message.

I didn't even get an error message. It just works. That made my day (which otherwise kind of sucked, so thanks). [After installing it 6 more times, I realized if you delete the old preference pane first, you don't get the error].

I am not Bill but thank you for posting this, it works great under El Capitan!

I didn't even get an error message. It just works. That made my day (which otherwise kind of sucked, so thanks).

Cheers, glad it worked for both of you.

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

I am not totally certain that this is a problem related to El Capitan or not. I use dbPoweramp for Mac. Since updating to 10.11 the few rips I have done with dbPoweramp for Mac have gone into Secure Mode and UltraSecure Mode to rip. The 4 CDs I ripped are in perfect condition and none should an AccurateRip.

I was just looking at Preferences and I noticed that although I had AccurateRip checked as I always have that next to that it says "Accuraterip is uncongifured". Any ideas how to fix this?

dbPoweramp Preferences.jpg

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
With regards to the M2Tech driver for the HiFace etc., I spoke with Nicola Arrighi who is one of the programmers at M2Tech and he said that they are working towards a new driver release for EC.

Let's hope it available a lot sooner than the Yosemite one was.

Thanks for the info.

(On a side note: I installed Ubuntu Linux on my Mac Mini a while ago, just to try it out, and my M2Tech hiFace (original version) works perfectly on it without installing a driver. Haven't had a single issue, no clicks, no pops, no drop outs, no nothing, all the way up to 192 kHz.)

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

I've got a 2015 Mac Mini with a Qute EX and have exactly the same problems as you, tried removing the drivers but still get kernel panics.

Doesn't happen with other USB devices, have tried a 64GB USB key and wireless mouse/keyboard and both work fine

Have also tried with my Resonessence Concero and that doesn't crash either.

I am using a Chord Qute EX with a MBPR (late 2013). During install of El Capitan I got kernel panics. After disconnecting the DAC install went well. However, after installation of El Capitan and reconnecting the DAC El Capitan crashed again with kernel panics. Restoring Yosemite solved the problem. So no El Capitan for me!

System 1

Audio Note OTO SE Phono

Audio Note AN-j He

Mac Mini 2015 OSX 10.11, Roon

Chord Hugo

Systemdek iix 900 / Audio Note Arm One v2 / Goldring 1042

Any ideas why my bootable El Cap USB stick will not show up in the "Start up Disk" util?

I have tried (currently on 10.9.5):

1. The "DiskMaker X 5" app three times from this

2. Rebooted after each DiskMaker

3. Tried holding down the option key upon boot up

4. Tried a different USB stick and used the following Terminal command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BootElcap --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

5. The El Cap is downloaded and shows up in my Applications and used the verify package command, which passed.

My rig

Any ideas why my bootable El Cap USB stick will not show up in the "Start up Disk" util?

I have tried (currently on 10.9.5):

1. The "DiskMaker X 5" app three times from this

2. Rebooted after each DiskMaker

3. Tried holding down the option key upon boot up

4. Tried a different USB stick and used the following Terminal command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BootElcap --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

5. The El Cap is downloaded and shows up in my Applications and used the verify package command, which passed.

Inspect the USB stick in Disk Utility. Does it use "GUID Partition Map" scheme? If not, the installer volume won't be bootable, so you'll need to start over by erasing the stick and picking that scheme and "OS X Extended (Journaled)" in the erasure options.

Inspect the USB stick in Disk Utility. Does it use "GUID Partition Map" scheme? If not, the installer volume won't be bootable, so you'll need to start over by erasing the stick and picking that scheme and "OS X Extended (Journaled)" in the erasure options.

Yep. I have erased several times (both sticks) specifying the "OS X extended Journaled" and then running both DiskMaker and the command line creation method. I moved the stick to other USB ports, rebooted, option key etc.. It just will not show up in the startup disk util. Permission issue? (I am logged in as admin)

discutil.JPG

discutil2.JPG

My rig

Figured out my problem. My Mac Pro has a USB3 PCIe card inside that worked like a charm with Yosemite and previous OSXs. I get a kernel panic on Capitan. Removing it is making everything work, but I will have to find a workaround.

This new USB3 card works beautifully on a 2010 mac pro + El Capitan:

Amazon.com: [4 Ports for Mac Pro]Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card for Mac Pro (Early 2008 to 2012 Late Version) - Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop - No Additional Power Connection Needed: Computers & Accessories

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Go to the partition tab and select one partition and choose GUID and then try again.

Tried this and no go. Just to be clear, in the start up disk util, any/all possible "disks" should show up automatically?

Whomever said it earlier is maybe onto something - as in, El Crapitan :) Kidding aside, I will also point out that when I hold down the option key (logitech windows usb keyboard with trackpad) I hold down the "Alt" key and it never goes into disk utilities. The only way I could get the boot up utility is this sequence => option, command, p and r, but of course it only shows the option to reinstall Mavericks.

I wonder if there is something disabled preventing this from working as designed via some of the optimization scripts. I only chose a handful to manually disable taken from the CAD optimization scripts.

FWIW, this is a dedicated mini used for nothing other than music and only has a few music apps and utils installed (superduper, diskmaker). Safari, mail etc.. never used.

My rig

Ha thanks for the info. I'm going to try one. It says on their website that the card is incompatible with Yosemite. Wonder what's going on there??

Ha thanks for the info. I'm going to try one. It says on their website that the card is incompatible with Yosemite. Wonder what's going on there??

Says that. Not true. My original Fresco card (chip was FL1009) worked all through Yosemite. This one is working now fine (so far!). Moreover, it is nice that it doesn't require a power cable. Wit the Fresco card I had to use a SATA connector for power - losing one port available for HD or optical - not anymore. The PCIe spec allows for 2A draw on a x4 slot, which is enough for four ports at 500mA each (the USB spec) so I think this works.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Says that. Not true. My original Fresco card (chip was FL1009) worked all through Yosemite. This one is working now fine (so far!). Moreover, it is nice that it doesn't require a power cable. Wit the Fresco card I had to use a SATA connector for power - losing one port available for HD or optical - not anymore. The PCIe spec allows for 2A draw on a x4 slot, which is enough for four ports at 500mA each (the USB spec) so I think this works.

One word of caution: my USB drive (a backup) unmounts by itself at times now. However, it's doing this even on the mac native USB2 ports. This is what seems to be a widespread issue with USB on El Capitan. I don't think the USB3 card is to blame, but you never know...

system pics

One word of caution: my USB drive (a backup) unmounts by itself at times now. However, it's doing this even on the mac native USB2 ports. This is what seems to be a widespread issue with USB on El Capitan. I don't think the USB3 card is to blame, but you never know...

Damn. So far El Capitan is sweet on my MBP. Just waiting on the studio Mac Pro 2010 before I upgrade as it's the work machine. My LaCie drive refused to load on FireWire the other day. Using USB 3 which it has also to USB 2 is fine. That's why I want to get the Inateck card.

Hope these issues if there are are sorted soon.

Damn. So far El Capitan is sweet on my MBP. Just waiting on the studio Mac Pro 2010 before I upgrade as it's the work machine. My LaCie drive refused to load on FireWire the other day. Using USB 3 which it has also to USB 2 is fine. That's why I want to get the Inateck card.

Hope these issues if there are are sorted soon.

I have found that my FW400 takes about 10-15 secs to mount after a reboot on my music mini. I had seen this previously on Yosemite. But then works fine.

The USB issue, as I mentioned, is not a card issue I don't think. Seems there are lots of issues with Apple's brand new implementation of the USB stack in El Capitan.

system pics