IGNORED

OS X El Capitan 10.11 Issues

Jud

Just an FYI - yesterday's Mac OS X 10.11 DP Beta 3 release seems to have "broken" Roon - it was working fine on earlier releases.

It's already posted on the Roon support forum, so I'm sure they're aware and working on it - just posting here for CA guys who might be a) using Roon, b) considering updating to the latest OS X 10.11 beta.

Just a general advisory for folks considering beta 3: I did what I usually don't and read the notes - glad I did, because there are a plethora of USB issues, including failure to boot if USB devices are attached, and failure to mount at least some USB devices. So for people who use USB DACs, have USB HDD music storage, etc., I'd say it would be wise to skip this latest beta.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Did someone tried it with a M2tech based Dac, and if yes dos it work ?

(I have a Mojo Audio Mystique)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

• 1 month later...

Similarly: Does anyone know if the Yosemite driver for M2Tech hiFace works with El Capitan?

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

• 3 weeks later...
Is this the same as the (free) public beta they just released today?

Yesterday Apple released GM candidate version of El Capitan ...

I did a quick installation over a Sony SD64 and boot it with a MacBookPro Retina 2012, i7 2.3GHz. The only check I did was about HQP CPU% consumption; with ELC I noticed a "stable" process usage at ~44% while Yosemite shows a more variable usage at 30-40% ... In addition I noticed System and User CPU% slightly lower for ELC vs. Yosemite.

Overall perception is good.

No sound comments due to the fact I currently don't have a DAC ...

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

• 3 weeks later...

Beyond the mail issue above, the Captain runs smoothly on my late 2009 iMac and it even feels it is a bit faster than Yosemite.

A+ is working so far without issues.

SQ is fine, maybe a hint more resolving than its predecessor but wouldn't feel comfortable claiming a difference.

My mini (2012) is fine including a fw400 external disk.

My mac pro (2010) is majorly screwed up: their new USB policy is a mess. USB3 gone. Cannot use USB mouse without jumpiness. A mess. And the intertubes are full of USB issue posts.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Anyone managed to get the M2Tech driver going on El Capitan?

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Yosemite driver and nope..

Judging by how long it took for M2Tech to sort out the driver for the previous OS, I'd say forget about upgrading to El Capitan if you have the original USB module installed in your DAC.

A separate thread should also probably be started for this one.

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

My mini (2012) is fine including a fw400 external disk.

My mac pro (2010) is majorly screwed up: their new USB policy is a mess. USB3 gone. Cannot use USB mouse without jumpiness. A mess. And the intertubes are full of USB issue posts.

Seriously, major fucking screwup - pardon my french - tonight I'm imaging back to Yosemite.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Does anyone know how to turn the IR receiver off or on in 10.11? It seems to have changed; nothing shows up in the "Security and Privacy > Advanced" pane.

I recall checking last night and seeing it there in fact (at work now so can't check). Check that the USB host sees the IR controller in the first place (About this Mac > System > USB). Given the number of USB issues maybe your USB controller is not seeing the IR receiver at all.

system pics

I just have a really big issue: my Mail where I kept the archives of my entire mail history is all over sudden empty! Luckily I was able to restore most of them from time machine, but watch out if like me you use a pop3 system!

pop3? You use pop3? Didn't you post something about pop being bad for your brain? ;)

No seriously, use IMAP or similar.

system pics

Beyond the mail issue above, the Captain runs smoothly on my late 2009 iMac and it even feels it is a bit faster than Yosemite.

A+ is working so far without issues.

SQ is fine, maybe a hint more resolving than its predecessor but wouldn't feel comfortable claiming a difference.

From what I read there has been major belt tightening in system processes and the like, which is making things run faster. However, I am having major issues with USB (I have a USB3 Fresco card on my mac pro that worked beautifully before EC). And my mouse is acting like Niki Minaj on coke.

system pics