IGNORED

New Mac Mini is stutterng on playback

I'm guessing 3/4 of the members of the forum are in that list. You shouldn't lash out at someone just because he offers a sound solution to a problem that not in line with your biased opinion.

No, only a few well-known trolls (if you were talking of my list) as well as more recent BSers who can't argue with facts but have to resort to incivility.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I didn't say he needed Windows. I said if he wants the best out of the DAC to use the Windows ASIO driver.

Well, he already mentioned he doesn't want Windows, so if you want to help him, then it is good to focus on what he has or what he wants to deal with.

If thebiglebowski can confirm Audirvana has no issues, then he could safely use that or HQ Player and ditch JRMC.

Additionally, one shouldn't install a new OS on all machines in one go: it's better to use a more recent OS version on a test machine for a good while until you know things have stabilised, especially now that Apple also releases beta versions to the public.

My MBP test with Yosemite wasn't very conclusive, so I haven't upgraded my iMac from Mavericks. It's the main server, and it's rather stable.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Another thought: did Apple use a combined interface on that new Mini, like there is on the MB Air?

Could be an issue with that too.

Well, he already mentioned he doesn't want Windows, so if you want to help him, then it is good to focus on what he has or what he wants to deal with.

If thebiglebowski can confirm Audirvana has no issues, then he could safely use that or HQ Player and ditch JRMC.

Additionally, one shouldn't install a new OS on all machines in one go: it's better to use a more recent OS version on a test machine for a good while until you know things have stabilised, especially now that Apple also releases beta versions to the public.

My MBP test with Yosemite wasn't very conclusive, so I haven't upgraded my iMac from Mavericks. It's the main server, and it's rather stable.

I offered the windows solution because it's a real solution with the added benefit of better sound. For a dedicated media setup for use with his DAC there's only 2 reason to not take this route.

1: Biases towards OSX

2: Cost of purchasing a copy of Windows

This is the final post I make on this thread.

Anyway can't be a driver issue as I've just installed an Audirvana trial and that works with integer mode and the same driver.

Works fine on integer mode with Audirvana but I like JRMC. I only downloaded the Audirvana trial today but from an initial look I can't see a way of playing internet radio streams and if I can't play Radio paradise it's a non starter :) I like JRMC as I run the Mac Mini without a screen attached and use JRemote on the iPad or Gizmo on the PC to control it.

I didn't install the new OS as it came with 10.10.4 from Apple as it was new.

System 1

Audio Note OTO SE Phono

Audio Note AN-j He

Mac Mini 2015 OSX 10.11, Roon

Chord Hugo

Systemdek iix 900 / Audio Note Arm One v2 / Goldring 1042

Have you contacted Resonessence on the off-chance that others may have reported an issue? Could be something about the Concero firmware that isn't compatible with new Mac mini. Is your DAC using a non-shared USB port?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Works fine on integer mode with Audirvana but I like JRMC. I only downloaded the Audirvana trial today but from an initial look I can't see a way of playing internet radio streams and if I can't play Radio paradise it's a non starter :) I like JRMC as I run the Mac Mini without a screen attached and use JRemote on the iPad or Gizmo on the PC to control it.

I didn't install the new OS as it came with 10.10.4 from Apple as it was new.

I don't know if this will shed any light on the issue but I've had numerous yet infrequent dropouts. They came on an irregular basis and crossed players (Amara, JRMC, A+, etc.). Didn't get any substantive help from Amarra or Apple. So, I decided to re-install Yosemite. That seemed to fix the problem, at least for a few months. Yesterday I ran the Disk Utility verification against the drive and found numerous problems. And even after reinstalling and running verification it failed. Got on the phone with Apple support, not knowing if I had bad hardware or a bad image or ??? They recommended testing in offline mode (running the disk utility using the command + R). Running verification in that mode showed no problems. Suggested that I do a clean install after erasing the drive. Painful but now I've a clean image with no visible problems. Not at all clear what may have gummed up the works. Maybe some errant 3rd party code I installed and later attempted to uninstall.

Anyway, I think it's worth a shot to see if it helps uncover and possibly "fix" your stuttering issues.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Works fine on integer mode with Audirvana but I like JRMC.

Right, so you've got your answer.

Maybe one day you'll understand it's worth it to ditch JRMC as a player and use a real audiophile one like Audirvana and HQ Player.

Cheers.

Maybe one day you'll understand it's worth it to ditch JRMC as a player and use a real audiophile one like Audirvana and HQ Player.

Cheers.

[sARCASM]

Screw halfway measures like this. Ditch the Mac and buy a Windows box so you can run the Bug Head Emperor player (Bug head). You'll need to learn Japanese to use it but then you can call yourself a real audiophile.

[/sARCASM]

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Cheers.

I thought I'd wait a while before responding in the hope that rereading it a few times I would interpret in a less patronising and condescending way.

Alas not it's still nothing but a silly comment from an audiofool. I've tried Audirvana and think it is shite, ok it sounds a little better than JRMC but the trade off of not having internet radio streams, a library that makes sense or a decent remote is too much.

Listening to music is about enjoyment, relaxing and ease of use, not chasing audiophile nirvana which I suspect in your case is mainly about going on forums and being patronising about what you know (or think you know)

System 1

Audio Note OTO SE Phono

Audio Note AN-j He

Mac Mini 2015 OSX 10.11, Roon

Chord Hugo

Systemdek iix 900 / Audio Note Arm One v2 / Goldring 1042

I just want to add that I run JRiver MC20 on a new Mac Mini I purchased 2 weeks ago and it sounds excellent. No dropouts or stuttering, just great music. I run it in integer mode with a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSD SE with Femto clock. I have the I5 with 256 GB SSD, 8 GB memory, and my music files are on a Lacie Thunderbolt drive. I browse the Internet while listening and can even run Time Machine backup with no problems with playback.

(1) You have no evidence he is running out of memory. This is something that is easily measured; you don't have to do a touchy-feely subjective listening test.

(2) FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV all get uncompressed to exactly the SAME THING by the software during playback. Switching lossless file formats isn't going to change stuttering behavior.

(3) The FACT that the problem goes away when he unchecks integer mode tells you your "logic" is completely unsound.

However I applaud you for finally at least making a disingenuous attempt to answer his question, for the first time, on page 4 of the thread.

I neglected to put you on my ignore list with the other irrelevant self-serving pompous uninformed trolls. Please accept my apologies. I will correct this oversight immediately.

This guy has some real issues. I think this may be a more appropriate forum for him to spend his time:

Dr. Phil.com - Speak Your Mind

Cheers.

YashN,

If you tone down your aggressive and childish rebuttal, we could get to like you.

God knows you try to be helpful and bring interesting topics to the table.

If you are a Canadian, try act like one :)

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

If you tone down your aggressive and childish rebuttal, we could get to like you.

Your posts are rather useless.

I thought I'd wait a while before responding in the hope that rereading it a few times I would interpret in a less patronising and condescending way.

Alas not it's still nothing but a silly comment from an audiofool. I've tried Audirvana and think it is shite, ok it sounds a little better than JRMC but the trade off of not having internet radio streams, a library that makes sense or a decent remote is too much.

Listening to music is about enjoyment, relaxing and ease of use, not chasing audiophile nirvana which I suspect in your case is mainly about going on forums and being patronising about what you know (or think you know)

If you want to take good advice from people who know what they're talking about as patronising, then by all means, stick to your stuttering music system with the worse software.

'not chasing audiophile' - wrong forum.

In that case I think the best solution may be to sell the DAC and just use the analog output on the Mac mini. No since complicating things if your not an audiophile anyways

YashN,

If you are a Canadian, try act like one :)

Save your breath. Numerous folks have asked him to tone down the insults and aggression but he just doesn't get it.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull