IGNORED

New Mac Mini is stutterng on playback

Care to elaborate?

This thread has tons of related info and a thoroughly interesting discussion development, if you manage past the early nay-sayers (as usual) and read the whole thread:

DDR3 Flipping bits in software without accessing them "Memory Known Failure Mechanism called 'Row Hammer'"

In particular, references and posts including sbgk, John Swenson, PeterSt (spikes of power consumption), Miska, and Bug Head, as well as a lot of the papers in there (do read them if you like to read about both how DRAM works and the whole field of algorithms using less power). Also look for relevant Swenson posts on Audio Asylum (algorithms, loops, buffers, cache) and his Q & A on Audiostream.

Additionally, you can ask Jud and Superdad Alex about their experience once as shared on a thread around here about different Audirvana versions with differing SQ.

Moreover, you can also look for the cPlay website and read all the documents about system optimisations (both software and hardware).

Alternately, what you can do is give Bug Head Green a try, and play a WAV you know well in it and listen carefully for the differences. He doesn't like the cache, so didn't use it and does some memory manipulation which significantly changes the sound (easy to see if you can read the code).

Computer audiophilia SQ is all about RFI/EMI.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I suppose if bit perfect was bit perfect there shouldn't be a difference between using the SD card player that is wired direct to the FPGA inches away on the Resonessence Mirus, and a old circa 2002 dirty powered tower computer using a 20' Walmart USB cable going into a cheap 10 port hub, then into another 20' cable to the DAC.

Of course using the windows WDM driver instead of ASIO because there's no difference anyways.

I suppose if bit perfect was bit perfect there shouldn't be a difference between

That's assuming bit-perfection is all that's needed to have repeatable SQ. Reality is completely different.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

This thread has tons of related info and a thoroughly interesting discussion development, if you manage past the early nay-sayers (as usual) and read the whole thread:

DDR3 Flipping bits in software without accessing them "Memory Known Failure Mechanism called 'Row Hammer'"

In particular, references and posts including sbgk, John Swenson, PeterSt (spikes of power consumption), Miska, and Bug Head, as well as a lot of the papers in there (do read them if you like to read about both how DRAM works and the whole field of algorithms using less power). Also look for relevant Swenson posts on Audio Asylum (algorithms, loops, buffers, cache) and his Q & A on Audiostream.

Additionally, you can ask Jud and Superdad Alex about their experience once as shared on a thread around here about different Audirvana versions with differing SQ.

Moreover, you can also look for the cPlay website and read all the documents about system optimisations (both software and hardware).

Alternately, what you can do is give Bug Head Green a try, and play a WAV you know well in it and listen carefully for the differences. He doesn't like the cache, so didn't use it and does some memory manipulation which significantly changes the sound (easy to see if you can read the code).

Computer audiophilia SQ is all about RFI/EMI.

All very interesting but wgscott was talking about engineers developing device drivers tweaking their code to improve SQ. Do you have an relevant examples of device drivers that have been tweaked to do this?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

All very interesting but wgscott was talking about engineers developing device drivers tweaking their code to improve SQ. Do you have an relevant examples of device drivers that have been tweaked to do this?

Doesn't look to me that you actually made the effort to understand the info linked to.

If you're not serious, indeed, do disregard everything.

Doesn't look to me that you actually made the effort to understand the info linked to.

If you're not serious, indeed, do disregard everything.

I scanned the thread when it was still active. I remember a lot of theory about how things could be done better but don't remember any references to production drivers that were tweaked specifically for sound quality.

I scanned the thread when it was still active. I remember a lot of theory about how things could be done better but don't remember any references to production drivers that were tweaked specifically for sound quality.

Talk to George at Exasound about this topic of you want to learn more. They make the best USB interface and drivers in the industry. They started making just the drivers and interfaces before complete DAC's.

They were the best USB interface's when they were available, and several improvements to the drivers have been made since that has resulted in a drastic improvement in sound quality from the original "bit perfect" versions.

To this day not even the famous Amanero USB interface is as good as their stand alone MK1 version of their ExaU2I USB interface with 1st gen drivers.

http://exadevices.com/exaU2I/Overview.aspx

It is easier just to dodge the question and whine when you don't display sufficient seriousness regarding the non-answer.

Talk to George at Exasound about this topic of you want to learn more. They make the best USB interface and drivers in the industry. They started making just the drivers and interfaces before complete DAC's.

They were the best USB interface's when they were available, and several improvements to the drivers have been made since that has resulted in a drastic improvement in sound quality from the original "bit perfect" versions.

To this day not even the famous Amanero USB interface is as good as their stand alone MK1 version of their ExaU2I USB interface with 1st gen drivers.

www.exadevices.com > exaU2I > Overview

It looks they aren't in this business any longer. Every link on the page you provided gives me an error message. I tried finding a place to download their drivers but they appear to be only bundled with their HW.

It looks they aren't in this business any longer. Every link on the page you provided gives me an error message. I tried finding a place to download their drivers but they appear to be only bundled with their HW.

Your right they stopped making the standalone USB interface and now make only complete DAC's.

http://exasound.com

It's a big disappointment for the DIY community because it was the best interface available. I bought their first gen E20 MK1 (complete DAC) when it first came out. Since then there's been several ASIO driver updates that have impacted the sound quality for the better. Roll back the driver to the original and it's a night and day difference in sound, even though it has always been bitperfect.

This is why anyone who says "bitperfect is bitperfect" clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

It's kinda like saying all cakes will taste the same if all the same ingredients are used.

Your right they stopped making the standalone USB interface and now make only complete DAC's.

exaSound Audio Design > Home

It's a big disappointment for the DIY community because it was the best interface available. I bought their first gen E20 MK1 when it first came out. Since then there's been several ASIO driver updates that have impacted the sound quality for the better. Roll back the driver to the original and it's a night and day difference in sound, even though it has always been bitperfect.

Thanks for confirming my understanding of the situation.

If he followed my advice about using Windows with his DAC, his problem is solved.

You probably should have led with this. It would have saved everyone a lot of time.

You probably should have led with this. It would have saved everyone a lot of time.

Time loaded with a rich educational experience:) If you care about computer audio sound that is. But since the name of the forum is "Computer Audiophile" it should be assumed that if your on here computer audio sound quality is something you care about.

Time loaded with a rich educational experience:) If you care about computer audio sound that is. But since the name of the forum is "Computer Audiophile" it should be assumed that if your on here computer audio sound quality is something you care about.

Unfortunately, like many areas in life, compromises must be made and I'm not willing to switch operating systems just to get slightly better sound quality.

Unfortunately, like many areas in life, compromises must be made and I'm not willing to switch operating systems just to get slightly better sound quality.

Some people have $35000+ invested in their audio setup. When a tweak as simple as using a $100 operating system can yield better results than $1000's in hardware components, it's a no brainer. If you use Jriver the remote functions the same with either operating systems.

I have 3 Mac's and 3 windows based PC's. I have used every media player for both operating systems you can name. I use Windows for DAC's that have USB interfaces without OSX ASIO drivers because it clearly sounds better. It's not because of Windows itself, it's because ASIO is the best way from point A to point B when it comes to computer audio.

But you are unwilling to substantiate your theology.

Why not try for yourself instead. If your ears can't tell you the difference that means there's no difference to you.

What I suggest next is starting another web site called "Computer Audio Mediocrity" I'm sure you'll find many followers to join.

Well, I guess if you are unwilling or (more likely) unable to offer any possible real solutions, you have to resort to playing in the land of make-believe and nurturing a Windows superiority complex.

I have no bias towards any operating system. I use both. But for computer audio ASIO sounds best. If you come up with a better USB interface and driver to go along with it, then right on good for you. You'll make a pile of money selling it to DAC manufacturers. Till then we will have to deal with the reality that ASIO is the superior method for USB computer audio.

exaSound Audio Design > Home

It's a big disappointment for the DIY community because it was the best interface available.

There was some mention (I believe it could have been on diyaudio) about making new DIY boards again, but because they had already started to sell the DACs very successfully, I didn't think it would be realistic.

Now, if only more manufacturer could make drivers for higher rate DSD from their source code, that would be awesome. I asked iFi but they'd rather use open technologies.

There was some mention (I believe it could have been on diyaudio) about making new DIY boards again, but because they had already started to sell the DACs very successfully, I didn't think it would be realistic.

Now, if only more manufacturer could make drivers for higher rate DSD from their source code, that would be awesome. I asked iFi but they'd rather use open technologies.

The reason for this is custom FPGA programming is extremely expensive. And to even make it to the level the guys who offer current USB interfaces and the accompanying software protocols would be so expensive that it's not worth it to put the resources into when $70 can buy you a state of the art Amanero. For much less you can buy a Xmos solution. Even if they did chances are the guys who are already ahead will come up with something better which will render all of your investment wasted.

Exasound realized they accomplished something special with the time and effort they put into their development . So they decided it would be more lucrative making complete DAC solutions rather than just selling their USB interface. After all the DAC end of their units are nothing more than anyone can build. The edge they have comes before the DAC chip.