IGNORED

Server2012 R2 + Schiit Gungnir, how, besides ASIO?

So I took the plunge tonight and got Server2012 R2 up and running in my listening room, with JRiver only so far. I want to spend some time with this before i jump to AO and, possibly on to JPlay. I was able to get ASIO4ALL working so easily, I thought I missed something, but it just works great with my onboard optical out.

However, I have a Regen and WireWorld USB coming and want to get that side of things working without actually enabling the Audio Services side of Server2012 (if possible). I'm trying to leave as little installed/turned on as possible on this instance. I dual boot with Win7 on separate SSDs.

First off, just the setup as it stands right now is honestly stunning how much better it is than Win7 + JRiver MC20. And I thought *that* was pretty good. I don't have a great audio vocabulary, so bear with me, but 2012 just seems to get out of the way of the sound moreso than W7. Low-level detail comes up with more precision and clarity (like a singer smacking his lips, or the reverb of a bass drum hangs in the air longer, but it's not bloated), and the system seems more engaging. Attack seems more visceral and sharp. The soundstage feels a bit wider, almost like my room suddenly gained a couple feet, but that could be in my head.

Anyway, Schiits drivers, both the USB packages and ASIO package say they support Win8 and Win8.1 but whenever I try to install them I just get "version not supported" or something along those lines. Is there anything I can do to install those on a 2012 machine? I have not contacted Schiit, I bought my Gungnir secondhand so I wanted to reach out here first. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Almost forgot the biggest difference I've noticed so far - I'd call it overall volume has increased, but I think, and am probably off-base suggesting this, but it seems like it's more that dynamic range is more prevalent. I don't think software playback can increase dynamic range, but while the sound as a whole seems bigger, it's not like *everything* is louder. Just the good stuff. I don't know, hard to explain, but it's immediately noticeable.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

I figured it out. Device Manager > Select Schiit USB Audio Device > point to ASIO directory (the one from Schiit) and it's working great through USB. Now, to get that Regen.... :)