IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Just got one of these. Hefty little brick. Big difference in sound. Everything got larger, more dynamic, airier, all the Usual Suspects. Price is right. Make sure you specify the right cable size. I didnt and had to pirate the original Walwart jack.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/111962423308

Chris, you're likely correct. Here are my latest test results:

Aries Mini:

* 352.8K album, 100Mbps Ethernet: interruptions (occurs most frequently)

* 352.8K album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

* 352.8K album, 5GHz wireless: no interruptions

* 176.4K album, 100Mbps Ethernet: interruptions

* 176.4K album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

* 88.2K album, 100Mbps Ethernet: interruptions

* 88.2K album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

* Redbook album, 100Mbps Ethernet: no interruptions

* Redbook album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

What's interesting is that when my Aries Mini stops playing, it is not actually hung (locked up) but instead drops off the home network. The LEDs on its RJ45 jack are still lit with one blinking, but the Mini has no response to pings so unreachable by LDS over wireless or any PC over wired. It doesn't seem to have any trouble with starting a track, though, and the pre-loading into memory works as expected. The stoppages have all been mid-track, which suggest some type of communication traffic other than the music data stream going awry at 100Mbps link speed. Playback will resume after the Ethernet is unplugged for a few seconds and reconnected, but this workaround is not practical.

Auralic is suspecting some kind of compatibility issue between Aries Mini and my Netgear FS105v3 switch. I will try a different model or brand of Fast Ethernet switch to compare.

Quick update:

I no longer believe Aries Mini has any fundamental issue working with 100Mbps Ethernet. I recently replaced my Netgear R8500 router with a Netgear Orbi router (router/satellite pair), and my Aries Mini no longer exhibits any playback interruptions!

The R8500 router uses Broadcom chips, including a Broadcom gigabit switch IC. The Orbi router uses QCA (Qualcomm-Atheros) chips. It looks like the Broadcom gigabit switch (inside the R8500) has a compatibility issue working at 100Mbps with Aries Mini:

Failing configuration:

NAS <> Netgear R8500 router <> Netgear GS108v4 switch <> Netgear FS105v3 switch <> Aries Mini

Passing configuration:

NAS <> Netgear Orbi router <> Netgear GS108v4 switch <> Netgear FS105v3 switch <> Aries Mini

With the Orbi router installed, I have played 24/352.8 (DXD) content over 100Mbps Ethernet to my Aries Mini continuously for over 12 hours without a single playback interruption. The Aries Mini now works with my preferred networking setup and sounds great!

Quick update:

I no longer believe Aries Mini has any fundamental issue working with 100Mbps Ethernet. I recently replaced my Netgear R8500 router with a Netgear Orbi router (router/satellite pair), and my Aries Mini no longer exhibits any playback interruptions!

The R8500 router uses Broadcom chips, including a Broadcom gigabit switch IC. The Orbi router uses QCA (Qualcomm-Atheros) chips. It looks like the Broadcom gigabit switch (inside the R8500) has a compatibility issue working at 100Mbps with Aries Mini:

Failing configuration:

NAS <> Netgear R8500 router <> Netgear GS108v4 switch <> Netgear FS105v3 switch <> Aries Mini

Passing configuration:

NAS <> Netgear Orbi router <> Netgear GS108v4 switch <> Netgear FS105v3 switch <> Aries Mini

With the Orbi router installed, I have played 24/352.8 (DXD) content over 100Mbps Ethernet to my Aries Mini continuously for over 12 hours without a single playback interruption. The Aries Mini now works with my preferred networking setup and sounds great!

I just heard from Auralic support saying they have reproduced the playback interruption at 100Mbps, and are looking into developing a solution. What's interesting is that ever since I changed my wireless router to Netgear Orbi, I have not encountered a single interruption! I even played 24/352.8K (DXD) content in a continuous loop for over 12 hours and it just kept going.

The playback interruption is likely the result of a networking cornercase leading to wired communication with the Aries being disrupted. As Aries Mini users, whether you will encounter playback interruptions at 100Mbps may well depend on the rest of your networking equipment, especially the wireless router.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper, now that the Netgear Orbi has enabled my downstairs Aries Femto to stream over 100Mbps Ethernet, and my upstairs Aries Mini is back to working solidly at 100Mbps as well. I'd like to give the Auralic support/dev teams a shoutout for their prompt investigation on this rather unusual functional issue.

@Karin ... I just received the 15-16V Sbooster...it can be set at 15, 16 or 16,5V....what is ideal for the Aries Mini?

My mains voltage oscillates between 220V to sometime close to 200V at night....should I open the Sbooster and change it from the default 230V?

Thanks

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

@Karin ... I just received the 15-16V Sbooster...it can be set at 15, 16 or 16,5V....what is ideal for the Aries Mini?

My mains voltage oscillates between 220V to sometime close to 200V at night....should I open the Sbooster and change it from the default 230V?

Thanks

looks like 15V is the correct setting and I can leave it at 230VAC...

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

• 4 weeks later...

Would there be any sonic issues storing our flac library on something like WD's My Book Live 3TB NAS and directly connecting it with the Aries Mini via ethernet?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Hi.

I am testing and Auralic Mini.

But I seem to have problems when streaming Tidal playlist.

The stream stops a lot in the midle of a playlist when a song is finished. Sometimes it playes 1 or 2 or more songs, then suddenly stops in the midle of the playlist.

I have tryed but when wired, and wireless the same problem.

Also testing a Bluesound node 2, When streaming Tidal playlist there are no problems.

Hi.

The stream stops a lot in the midle of a playlist when a song is finished. Sometimes it playes 1 or 2 or more songs, then suddenly stops in the midle of the playlist.

Also testing a Bluesound node 2, When streaming Tidal playlist there are no problems.

I have issues streaming Tidal to any device if I'm on the 2.4ghz network in my house, none at all if on the 5ghz network. Select the 5ghz network, if you've got a choice. If you don't, you'll probably need to get a wireless router that does have that. That lower frequency network gets all kinds of interference - microwave ovens are very close to that frequency, as are many mobile phones, baby monitors, etc.

I can even stream 24/192 and DSD to the Mini on the 5ghz network.

We've locked devices that can't do 5ghz (my old Logitech Touch, for example) to the lower frequency network, along with guests... all music and media use the higher frequency network.

I have issues streaming Tidal to any device if I'm on the 2.4ghz network in my house, none at all if on the 5ghz network. Select the 5ghz network, if you've got a choice. If you don't, you'll probably need to get a wireless router that does have that. That lower frequency network gets all kinds of interference - microwave ovens are very close to that frequency, as are many mobile phones, baby monitors, etc.

I can even stream 24/192 and DSD to the Mini on the 5ghz network.

We've locked devices that can't do 5ghz (my old Logitech Touch, for example) to the lower frequency network, along with guests... all music and media use the higher frequency network.

Thanks for the reply.

Its the same problem no matter if i use 2.4 ghz or 5ghz.

Hi.

sorry to hear you are having problems...if you get it straightened out I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the sound of the Node using Tidal MQA. The nodes is marketing as having built in MQA decoding--so leaving aside whether this is a lossy format-- id be curious to know if you hear anything in that regard....thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have been using my Mini for about a year now with my local music installed on an external HD drive and playing into either a Benchmark HDR DAC or a Devialet 200. As you would expect there is a noticeable increase in quality with the external DACs, however, IMO the performance of the Mini's DAC is quite acceptable for general listening.

Yesterday I installed a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500G, which cost AUS$300 (US$200) and the increase in performance is remarkable. The biggest problem I had with the Mini in the past was the time taken to select tracks with the LD App, however, now with the SSD installed it is instantaneous and for me it greatly increases the ease and pleasure of use.

I now have a very compact "Jukebox" when combined with my Tidal account that I can easily travel with anywhere in the world and either enjoy my own music or explore for new songs on Tidal - fantastic product.

If you have a Mini and considering an upgrade I highly recommend inserting a SSD.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Just an update. After struggling to get the Mini to use my music server as its library, the "use network library" option - it'd scan, be fine for awhile (ranging from an hour to a couple days) and then BANG couldn't find the library. So the LightningDS app was pretty much worthless. I did try an external USB drive, hoping against hope that I could then have my music server sync files with it (hey, it's linux, right?) and while I can see the Mini on the network, it won't let me write to it. Since my music library is about 2.6tb... an internal drive, or even an external drive, if I can't update it easily, won't help.

Then I stumbled across this. I'd been using the Mini as a UPNP endpoint with Remote... then noticed that there was DLNA server setup. I picked that, pointed it to my JRiver library on the music server. It scanned the music and set up its own local library. Now when I use Lightning DS, the Mini pulls music down, but has the quick response that comes from having the control on the Mini, less lag than with Remote. For some reason using DLNA works wonderfully, giving me access to the remote library with solid reliability, where using "remote library" in the Mini's menu didn't work.

Hi All,

Yesterday I installed a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500G, which cost AUS$300 (US$200) and the increase in performance is remarkable.

if you have a Mini and considering an upgrade I highly recommend inserting a SSD.

Is there any increase in sound quality, or just ease of access ?

Hi Misterdog,

Good question, which I can't answer accurately because I have to change back and forth from the internal storage SSD to the external storage HD and quite frankly I'm not inclined to go through the hassle.

What I can say is that the sound quality coming from the mini with an internal SSD into my Devialet 200 DAC is excellent. Whether or not it is better than via an external HD I could not really say as I don't have the resources to A/B quickly enough and also to do so blind. I know I am in the minority here but I see no point in testing equipment for sound quality unless it is a double blind A/B test. I do not trust myself, or anyone else for that matter, to do so without applying at least some personal expectation bias, otherwise companies such as Nike, Beats, Apple etc, who make extraordinary (excessive) profits would not pay outrages fees to "celebrities" with no little or no product knowledge to market their products.

I know part of the fun of our hobby is too look for incremental gains in sound quality for minimum outlay, however, for me life is too short but what I can say is that with an internal SSD I now have both excellent usability and sound from the mini. It is not a lot of money so best way to find out is to tip your own toe in the water.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Quick update:

Failing configuration:

Passing configuration:

I have a Aries and music frequently stops playing between tracks ..... have tried a Netgear and a Sagem Fast router ..... nothing helps ! :-( .... i am considering switching to a lower Ethernet speed .... maybe 50Mbps ....could it help ?

I'm pretty tied of this issue ..... could Auralic just post something about this issue on their website ..... that would be nice !

I have a Aries and music frequently stops playing between tracks ..... have tried a Netgear and a Sagem Fast router ..... nothing helps ! :-(

Perhaps your problem lies elsewhere then, for example with the NAS? Do the interruptions go away using local storage? Do you have other devices on your network that might be "chatty"?

i am considering switching to a lower Ethernet speed .... maybe 50Mbps ....could it help ?
It doesn't work like this.

I'm pretty tied of this issue ..... could Auralic just post something about this issue on their website ..... that would be nice !
I'm pretty sure the issue is local to you, and can be fixed.
Perhaps your problem lies elsewhere then, for example with the NAS? Do the interruptions go away using local storage? Do you have other devices on your network that might be "chatty"?

It doesn't work like this.

I'm pretty sure the issue is local to you, and can be fixed.

I'm not using a nas AND i'ts only when using LDS AND TIDAL !

If i use Tidal and Airplay there is NO problem !

BTW i've got a freind with an Aries Mini with exact same problem !

On my Femto the external USB-HDD sounded not as good as WiFi from the NAS.

On my Mini i have a internal SSD and tried Wifi as well with no differences in terms of sound quality.

It's the 5V power that is needed by the external usb-drive that decreases the sound quality.

I've been enjoying my mini for over a year now, but am finally ready to upgrade to a Roon Ready (or NAA) streamer and get away form using airplay.

I ordered a microRendu + LPS-1. Next I'll purchase a new DAC and move the mini to my office system, but in the meantime, I'd like to use the MR to stream to the mini's DAC. Has anyone tried this? Do I just use the MR's usb out to to connect to the mini as if it was an external hard drive?

I've been enjoying my mini for over a year now, but am finally ready to upgrade to a Roon Ready (or NAA) streamer and get away form using airplay.

I ordered a microRendu + LPS-1. Next I'll purchase a new DAC and move the mini to my office system, but in the meantime, I'd like to use the MR to stream to the mini's DAC. Has anyone tried this? Do I just use the MR's usb out to to connect to the mini as if it was an external hard drive?

The mrendu is only designed to USB handshake with DAC's... it cannot interact with the Aries mini as an external USB drive.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...

So if I add an internal SSD to house my library how could I add new files to it ?

Is it possible to copy from USB ?

As an aside I have just swapped from Hypex N-Cores  to some DIY, class A/B amps with a whole new leap in SQ. into my Quad 989 ESL's.