IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Very good to know that it runs on 12v as well! I have run my Aries Mini through a 14,8v/6A/12000 mAh Li-ion battery pack for a week now. Fully charge it is about 16,8v and it takes many hours for it to reach 15v running without 5v USB power and just with Tidal as source through LithningDS. I cannot see that I will ever come close to 12v. The sound improvement compared to the supplied SPMS is simply not comparable. Big improvement with battery in my book.

I just tried powering my Aries Mini with the 12V output of my HDPlex 100W LPS. The Mini started up normally, played for about 5 minutes, then the playback stopped abruptly, the white LED indicator went out, and LSD on the iPad no longer sees the Mini. I then replaced the HDPlex with my SBooster BOTW 15V LPS, and the Mini went back to normal behavior.

This suggests a DC input voltage of 12V is really out of spec for the Mini. 14V (or thereabouts) appears to be the real minimum. My HDPlex 100W is the old model with no adjustable voltage rail, so I could not set it to 14V like with the current model, which should be a decent LPS option for the Mini.

I also discovered that the SBooster BOTW LPS uses Schottky power rectifier diodes. I haven't checked the HDPlex 100W design, and the HDPlex website does not mention rectifier type for the 100W LPS. Ditto for Auralic's LPS. Assuming the rectifiers in the HDPlex and Auralic LPS are silicon type, that would give the advantage to the SBooster in terms of the DC power being cleaner and less noise kickback into the AC side, thanks to the Schottky rectifiers.

I suspect one of the lowest cost LPS options for the Aries Mini may be something like a Teradak 30W 15V LPS. I have the 9V edition and have replaced the silicon rectifiers with Schottky rectifiers, as well as electrolytic capacitor changes to Panasonic FM. It was an easy mod for me, and a nice upgrade. I may buy the Teradak 15V model and give it the same mods, just to see how it compares with the Auralic LPS and SBooster BOTW.

Does anyone know what voltage / amps the Mini needs?

From Auralic's web site

The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A).

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hi All,

I am really enjoying my Auraliac Mini and find the lighting DS software adequate, if a bit limited in features.

The only real issue I am having is that when I do not use the unit for some time, and it goes into standby mode, my iPhone often reads "No Device", which I assume means that it cannot locate the Mini on the Lan, and I have to set it up again. Problem is that the "power light" on top of the rear of the unit stays white (even after I remove and replace the power cord) and it does not turn yellow and flash as required by the set up process.

My unit is "wired" directly to my ISP supplied modem / route in one situation and to an Apple Express acting as a wireless booster in another.

Anyone else having the same problem and if so have they found a solution or an explanation as to why the iPhone cannot sometimes locate the Mini. My situation is intermittent, making it more difficult to find a cause and also more frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ajax

Hi All,

I am really enjoying my Auraliac Mini and find the lighting DS software adequate, if a bit limited in features.

The only real issue I am having is that when I do not use the unit for some time, and it goes into standby mode, my iPhone often reads "No Device", which I assume means that it cannot locate the Mini on the Lan, and I have to set it up again. Problem is that the "power light" on top of the rear of the unit stays white (even after I remove and replace the power cord) and it does not turn yellow and flash as required by the set up process.

My unit is "wired" directly to my ISP supplied modem / route in one situation and to an Apple Express acting as a wireless booster in another.

Anyone else having the same problem and if so have they found a solution or an explanation as to why the iPhone cannot sometimes locate the Mini. My situation is intermittent, making it more difficult to find a cause and also more frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ajax

I've had the same issue in the past. Hopefully I'm telling you correct as I'm a bit limited on knowledge when it comes to networks and such. What I've done is run my mini in wireless mode and connected via 5ghz. That seems to have corrected my issue.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

What do you mean by this? Can you share a little more detail on how your network is setup? It sounds like your ISP box is a combined modem and wired router. This is quite common. Is that correct? What about wireless? Is your ISP box also your primary WAP (wireless access point)?

You want to make sure that:

• there is exactly one device on your network acting as a router - i.e. serving DHCP, and running NAT. Typically this is your router.
  • If wireless is done by a different device, then make sure it's configured as a WAP, not as a router.
  • the Aries Mini and your Lightning DS control point (your iPhone in this case) are on the same subnet
  • make sure the following flags are enabled in your router:
    • multicast
    • UPNP

I'm running the latest firmware 4.1b1 and DS (3.1), and am having no connectivity issues like yours. Check the above, just to be sure.

Hope it helps.

Thanks guys - I appreciate you both taking the trouble to address my problem

I'll try your suggestions.

Ajax

A question regarding power supplies...

I am using the USB output of the Mini into a B.M.C. Puredac

Would upgrading the Mini's power supply offer significant benefits using it in this configuration?

I would like to know before I spend another 300 Euros...:)

another question...what is the purpose of the DAC output delay option in the LDS software and should I enable it?

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

A question regarding power supplies...

I am using the USB output of the Mini into a B.M.C. Puredac

Would upgrading the Mini's power supply offer significant benefits using it in this configuration?

I would like to know before I spend another 300 Euros...:)

I think the answer is safely YES. I originally bought the Auralic LPS when I was still using the Mini's internal DAC, and the LPS made a huge improvement.

Since I switched to an external DAC, I have not gone back and done the comparison. However, even in the digital domain, the effect of a good LPS is pretty well established. You won't be disappointed.

I bought the Auralic, but there are other choices, ranging from el Cheapo Chinese LPSes on eBay, to Sbooster, to more exotic LPSes. I think you'll get the biggest bang for your buck going from SMPS to an LPS, then incremental improvements between LPSes.

another question...what is the purpose of the DAC output delay option in the LDS software and should I enable it?

Good question. I don't really know. I originally thought it controlled output buffering, but we now know , with the 4.0 update, that is done independently.

I do know it only applies to the internal DAC.

Check with Auralic support and tell us what you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

thanks again @austinpop

Has anyone tried powering the Mini with an iFi iPower?

It certainly would be interesting to hear anyone's experience comparing the iPower 15V against an LPS to power the Aries Mini.

I've read about iPower (in lower voltage configuartions) being compared to LPSes in other contexts on CA, and had unscientifically synthesized what I read into the prevailing view that - when all is said and done, the iPower is still an SMPS (albeit with great attention to noise), and that good LPSes still sound better.

However, I'll be the first to admit I've never tried or heard them myself.

If cost were an issue, I would still lean toward something like this Teradak: TeraDak AURALIC ARIES mini upgrade linear power supply DC16V 1A | eBay

I've got the tiny Teradak U9VA, and their build quality is excellent for the price.

It certainly would be interesting to hear anyone's experience comparing the iPower 15V against an LPS to power the Aries Mini.

I've read about iPower (in lower voltage configuartions) being compared to LPSes in other contexts on CA, and had unscientifically synthesized what I read into the prevailing view that - when all is said and done, the iPower is still an SMPS (albeit with great attention to noise), and that good LPSes still sound better.

However, I'll be the first to admit I've never tried or heard them myself.

If cost were an issue, I would still lean toward something like this Teradak: TeraDak AURALIC ARIES mini upgrade linear power supply DC16V 1A | eBay

I've got the tiny Teradak U9VA, and their build quality is excellent for the price.

I also own the Breeze Audio el Cheapo (in the 9V configuration, but it comes in multiple voltage configs) and recommend it too. There are several sellers on eBay, like this one:

30W(30VA)HiFi Linear power supply PSU DC9V/12V/15V/16V/18V/20V/24V for choose | eBay

I had long shipping delays on my Teradak, so for the Breeze, I paid a few bucks extra for DHL, and got it to the US in 4 days.

Please check out these reviews:

Dave Clark's review of the Auralic Aries and our 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO; Audio Ramblings - The Auralic Aries and SBooster Linear Power Supply - Positive Feedback

Hifi Statement - Test: Auralic Aries und SBooster BOTW P&P eco; HIFISTATEMENT | netmagazine - Auralic Aries und SBooster BOTW P&P eco

Hifi Statement - Test: Auralic Aries Mini, SBooster BOTW und Tidal Streaming; HIFISTATEMENT | netmagazine - Auralic Aries Mini, SBooster BOTW und Tidal Streaming

Kind regards,

Karin

Hello @Karin - Posts such as this aren't allowed here on CA. Manufacturers / distributors / dealers aren't allowed to publish items about their own products, unless a user specifically asks the Manufacturers / distributors / dealers a question. Open questions about products, that may or may not include your products, don't count as questions you can answer within the rules of the site. The question must be directed specifically at you, by a member of the community who is unrelated to your company, for you to respond.

This is your one warning.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Has anyone encountered any trouble playing high-res PCM content (e.g. 24/352.8K DXD) with their Aries Mini connected via 100Mbps Ethernet?

I ran into random but abrupt playback interruptions while playing whole albums. After the playback is interrupted, Lightning DS on iPad/iPhone will display "No Device", and the Aries Mini stops responding to network pings. One workaround I found is to briefly unplug the Ethernet cable from the Mini for a few seconds then reattach. The Mini will recover in about 30 seconds and resume playback by itself at the beginning of one of the tracks, and often at the last track.

For me this issue only occurs with the Aries Mini forced to run at 100Mbps Ethernet link speed, being connected to a Netgear FS105v3 Fast Ethernet switch before linking back to my NAS via a Netgear GS108v4 gigabit switch. No trouble at gigabit or with 5GHz wireless. Until today, I thought the issue was related to 4.1.beta2 firmware which I installed to try the downsampling feature with my 96K DAC (KEF X300A speakers), but it turns out even the 4.0.0 production firmware the issue still occurs. I have tried playing 352.8K, 176.4K and 88.2K content using 100Mbps, and got interruptions part way into the album each time. After changing the Mini back to gigabit Ethernet the symptoms disappeared completely.

I should also report that my Aries Femto has no trouble whatsoever playing 352.K content over a 100Mbps Ethernet. For some reason, my Aries Mini is not completely happy with 100Mbps Ethernet.

I have reported this issue to Auralic support. Meanwhile, I will stop using 100Mbps Ethernet with my Aries Mini.

Your mileage may and will vary. My Synology 1513+ with RAM upgrade to 4GB will NOT run Roon without dropouts. But DS Audio, MinimServer, LightningServer all work and give you plenty of control options on your IOS device (:umin App, DS Audio app, Lightning DS app, ...).

Hi pvanosta,

Just a small point in the interests of clarity. The Auralic LightningServer doesn't actually run on the NAS (unlike the other server applications you mentioned can). It is in the firmware of Auralic streaming devices, such as the Aries so runs on them. All the LightningServer requires from the NAS is access to its stored music files via network sharing.

It would be a pretty poor NAS indeed if it couldn't handle simple network file sharing!

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Has anyone encountered any trouble playing high-res PCM content (e.g. 24/352.8K DXD) with their Aries Mini connected via 100Mbps Ethernet?

I ran into random but abrupt playback interruptions while playing whole albums. After the playback is interrupted, Lightning DS on iPad/iPhone will display "No Device", and the Aries Mini stops responding to network pings. One workaround I found is to briefly unplug the Ethernet cable from the Mini for a few seconds then reattach. The Mini will recover in about 30 seconds and resume playback by itself at the beginning of one of the tracks, and often at the last track.

For me this issue only occurs with the Aries Mini forced to run at 100Mbps Ethernet link speed, being connected to a Netgear FS105v3 Fast Ethernet switch before linking back to my NAS via a Netgear GS108v4 gigabit switch. No trouble at gigabit or with 5GHz wireless. Until today, I thought the issue was related to 4.1.beta2 firmware which I installed to try the downsampling feature with my 96K DAC (KEF X300A speakers), but it turns out even the 4.0.0 production firmware the issue still occurs. I have tried playing 352.8K, 176.4K and 88.2K content using 100Mbps, and got interruptions part way into the album each time. After changing the Mini back to gigabit Ethernet the symptoms disappeared completely.

I should also report that my Aries Femto has no trouble whatsoever playing 352.K content over a 100Mbps Ethernet. For some reason, my Aries Mini is not completely happy with 100Mbps Ethernet.

I have reported this issue to Auralic support. Meanwhile, I will stop using 100Mbps Ethernet with my Aries Mini.

This may be a long shot, but it also may be somewhat related. It's not the identical issue I experienced and can reproduce 100% of the time, but it could be due to the fact that the Aries Mini is receiving way too much data and its dropping packets at those sample rates.

Here is something to look into, although not completely a 1 for 1 issue - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/need-help-networking-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-issue-28484/#post550519

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This may be a long shot, but it also may be somewhat related. It's not the identical issue I experienced and can reproduce 100% of the time, but it could be due to the fact that the Aries Mini is receiving way too much data and its dropping packets at those sample rates.

Here is something to look into, although not completely a 1 for 1 issue - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/need-help-networking-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-issue-28484/#post550519

Chris, you're likely correct. Here are my latest test results:

Aries Mini:

* 352.8K album, 100Mbps Ethernet: interruptions (occurs most frequently)

* 352.8K album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

* 352.8K album, 5GHz wireless: no interruptions

* 176.4K album, 100Mbps Ethernet: interruptions

* 176.4K album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

* 88.2K album, 100Mbps Ethernet: interruptions

* 88.2K album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

* Redbook album, 100Mbps Ethernet: no interruptions

* Redbook album, 1000Mbps (gigabit) Ethernet: no interruptions

What's interesting is that when my Aries Mini stops playing, it is not actually hung (locked up) but instead drops off the home network. The LEDs on its RJ45 jack are still lit with one blinking, but the Mini has no response to pings so unreachable by LDS over wireless or any PC over wired. It doesn't seem to have any trouble with starting a track, though, and the pre-loading into memory works as expected. The stoppages have all been mid-track, which suggest some type of communication traffic other than the music data stream going awry at 100Mbps link speed. Playback will resume after the Ethernet is unplugged for a few seconds and reconnected, but this workaround is not practical.

Auralic is suspecting some kind of compatibility issue between Aries Mini and my Netgear FS105v3 switch. I will try a different model or brand of Fast Ethernet switch to compare.

Quick heads-up. I just posted to the "Auralic Aries Mini" thread to describe playback interruption trouble I've encountered with my Mini using a 100Mbps Ethernet connection. My testing so far indicates my Mini is not completely happy working with 100Mbps Ethernet. Changing to gigabit or wireless will make the problem symptoms disappear.

My Aries Femto has been rock solid playing high-res content (up to 352.8K DXD) with 100Mbps Ethernet, so my Mini exhibits different behavior here. The playback interruptions were observed with both 4.0.0 production firmware and 4.1.beta2 firmware running on my Mini.

@austinpop: If you try 100Mbps Ethernet with your Mini I'd be interested to hear whether you encounter the same issue.

Hi @scan80269

No I have not tried this with my Aries Mini, sorry. Now I'm in no hurry to, either!

Chris, very interesting thread. I think your client is being overrun, which points to a poor design of the client's network interface. I'll post more on that thread.