IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Sorry, what is an AAM and does it support Open Home standard? Believe you need an OpenHome compatible control app with Lightning server

AAM is Auralic Aries Mini.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

Hi Misterpete,

I mean a gigabit Switch. A good choice for this purpose is the D-LINK DGS-105 5-PORT GIGABIT SWITCH. You have to check if the Switch runs on 5 Volt in your country. The purpose of the Switch is following:

1. Create galvanic isolation between the streamer and the rest of the network;
  2. Reduce network noise/EMI;
  3. Buffer the data stream in order to eliminate data transfer failures;
  4. “Re-clock the data stream”;
  5. Optimise the signal integrity.

To create the galvanic isolation between the network and streamer you have to use an unshielded cat5 or cat6 patch cable. Every length between 0.25 – 1 meter is fine and you have to use the patch cable between the switch and your streamer. You can only use port #1, 3 & 5 of the Switch. Do not use port #2 & 4 this to avoid crosstalk between the data signals.

Regards,

Karin

Hi Karin,

Excuse me for being ignorant about electronics, but your very detailed and clear answer above makes me wonder a few things. I would have thought that a shielded patch cable would have resulted in better insulation. Also, if the shielding is not needed, why does it matter to use every second port on the gigabyte switch to avoid crosstalk? And finally, why wouldn't a cat7 cable be preferable?

Your postings are very informative, so I look forward to reading your comments to my wonderings.

Kind regards,

Mikael

AAM is Auralic Aries Mini.

Any chance you are using 2.4 ghz wifi with Aries? I found the Aries mini better behaved on setup with wired Ethernet or 5ghz wifi when you exited the Lightning wifi spot to complete library setup. I'm suspecting that when you go through setup you complete the streamer setup but can't find the Aries from network in setup app to complete library initialization

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Any chance you are using 2.4 ghz wifi with Aries? I found the Aries mini better behaved on setup with wired Ethernet or 5ghz wifi when you exited the Lightning wifi spot to complete library setup. I'm suspecting that when you go through setup you complete the streamer setup but can't find the Aries from network in setup app to complete library initialization

No. Minimserver works as well as Tidal. Lighting server shows all files on Lighting DS and files play on my Uniti 2 with Lighting server.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here. I just ordered an Aries mini and don't have it yet so my thoughts here are speculative. I haven't really been keeping track of developments in the audiophile world so catching up has been fun and interesting. The Aries mini price point is where it's great to step into high def audio which I Currently cannot play since I don't have a computer hooked up and having access to Tidal is a bonus. I have a lot of SACD's that I'm going to rip to start with and some DVD audios that already have. I have a fairly modest system with a benchmark DAC1. My plan with the Aries was to get it stock and instead of getting an LPS to invest in a good DSD Dac that can do quad DSD. I don't use my computer or any server so my plan is to just load the hard drive of the Aries mini. WRT DSD Dacs I notice there are some that require drivers ( such as the exasound ) which I assume will not work with the mini. Will any driverless DAC ( such as the mytek brooklyn ) work over usb with the Aries mini to enable DSD playback? I'm assuming DSD Works only over USB -- is that a correct assumption to begin with? Is my plan a good one to get good sound. I'd rather put the 399$ towards the DAC which will eliminate jitter better than the Aries mini's DAC, the processing of which is probably limited by its price point. Any advice/info appreciated.

Hello, I'm new here. I just ordered an Aries mini and don't have it yet so my thoughts here are speculative. I haven't really been keeping track of developments in the audiophile world so catching up has been fun and interesting. The Aries mini price point is where it's great to step into high def audio which I Currently cannot play since I don't have a computer hooked up and having access to Tidal is a bonus. I have a lot of SACD's that I'm going to rip to start with and some DVD audios that already have. I have a fairly modest system with a benchmark DAC1. My plan with the Aries was to get it stock and instead of getting an LPS to invest in a good DSD Dac that can do quad DSD. I don't use my computer or any server so my plan is to just load the hard drive of the Aries mini. WRT DSD Dacs I notice there are some that require drivers ( such as the exasound ) which I assume will not work with the mini. Will any driverless DAC ( such as the mytek brooklyn ) work over usb with the Aries mini to enable DSD playback? I'm assuming DSD Works only over USB -- is that a correct assumption to begin with? Is my plan a good one to get good sound. I'd rather put the 399$ towards the DAC which will eliminate jitter better than the Aries mini's DAC, the processing of which is probably limited by its price point. Any advice/info appreciated.

Welcome to CA!

You remind me of myself a few months ago! I started with a Squeezebox Touch (SBT) as streamer, and Benchmark DAC1 HDR, which was my DAC and headphone amp. My progression was:

1. Buy Aries Mini, to replace SBT and the Benchmark's DAC. Aries DAC is a significant improvement over Benchmark DAC
  2. Buy Aries LPS - huge improvement to Aries DAC sonics
  3. Try Sennheiser HDVA-600 amp. Significant improvement over Benchmark amp stage
  4. Try Ayre Codex DAC/Amp. Significantly better than Aries Mini as a DAC, and HDVA-600 as an amp.
  5. Buy Codex. Currently using Aries Mini as a pure streamer, driving Ayre Codex as DAC/amp.
  6. Planning to upgrade amp to Cavalli Liquid Gold.

Back to step 2 - I have to admit I never considered backing out the LPS once I decided not to use the Aries Mini's internal DAC. So I am not sure how much the LPS helps the Aries as a pure streamer. I am keeping it in, on the theory that a good LPS is always a good thing.

Regarding drivers, I can't say how the Mytek will do, but I suspect it will work just fine. Auralic are pretty responsive, so just email their support to confirm. I know for me, the USB has worked fine with the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, the Codex, and the Moon 230HAD.

If you're considering DACs in the $2k range like the Brooklyn, you have some really tasty options. I ended up going for the Codex, but it does not do quad-DSD, nor does it support MQA. Have fun listening, comparing, and decide for yourself.

I too have a lot of SACDs that have now been ripped to DSF's. The Mini does an excellent job streaming everything from 16/44.1 to 32/384, and DSD-64 to DSD-256. However, for the highest resolutions, I highly recommend going wired. With a good 802.11ac router, and a strong signal, it can stream these rates on wifi, but any deviation from that ideal will yield the occasional dropout. Wired is always rock solid.

Good luck!

options in order of increasing fidelity

1. Aries mini using internal DAC internal SSD

2. Aries mini using internal DAC with external file server

3 Aries mini using internal DAC and LPS with external file server

4 Aries mini using external DAC with external file server

If you can afford it start with getting your music files external to the mini and use Lightning server. Spending cash on a better external DAC vs an LPS is a wise decision as long as it supports the DSD format you prefer.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Welcome to CA!

You remind me of myself a few months ago! I started with a Squeezebox Touch (SBT) as streamer, and Benchmark DAC1 HDR, which was my DAC and headphone amp. My progression was:

1. Buy Aries Mini, to replace SBT and the Benchmark's DAC. Aries DAC is a significant improvement over Benchmark DAC
  3. Try Sennheiser HDVA-600 amp. Significant improvement over Benchmark amp stage
  4. Try Ayre Codex DAC/Amp. Significantly better than Aries Mini as a DAC, and HDVA-600 as an amp.
  5. Buy Codex. Currently using Aries Mini as a pure streamer, driving Ayre Codex as DAC/amp.

Back to step 2 - I have to admit I never considered backing out the LPS once I decided not to use the Aries Mini's internal DAC. So I am not sure how much the LPS helps the Aries as a pure streamer. I am keeping it in, on the theory that a good LPS is always a good thing.

Regarding drivers, I can't say how the Mytek will do, but I suspect it will work just fine. Auralic are pretty responsive, so just email their support to confirm. I know for me, the USB has worked fine with the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, the Codex, and the Moon 230HAD.

If you're considering DACs in the $2k range like the Brooklyn, you have some really tasty options. I ended up going for the Codex, but it does not do quad-DSD, nor does it support MQA. Have fun listening, comparing, and decide for yourself.

I too have a lot of SACDs that have now been ripped to DSF's. The Mini does an excellent job streaming everything from 16/44.1 to 32/384, and DSD-64 to DSD-256. However, for the highest resolutions, I highly recommend going wired. With a good 802.11ac router, and a strong signal, it can stream these rates on wifi, but any deviation from that ideal will yield the occasional dropout. Wired is always rock solid.

Good luck!

Thanks! Helpful info and that's good to know that the Aries is an improvement over the Benchmark. I think the Benchmark is pretty good already! But it doesn't do anything above 111khz natively so it's not suitable for DSD or anything above 96khz.

options in order of increasing fidelity

1. Aries mini using internal DAC internal SSD

2. Aries mini using internal DAC with external file server

3 Aries mini using internal DAC and LPS with external file server

4 Aries mini using external DAC with external file server

If you can afford it start with getting your music files external to the mini and use Lightning server. Spending cash on a better external DAC vs an LPS is a wise decision as long as it supports the DSD format you prefer.

Thanks -- That's interesting. Why is the internal SSD a compromise on quality vs streaming? Does it have to do with interference bleeding over to the DAC? But that shouldn't apply to an external DAC?

Streaming allows you to electrically isolate your digital file source from the renderer hardware by using a network file server... its cheaper than what it costs to bullet proof that data transmission inside a combo file server/music renderer. It's a basic benefit regardless of how cheap the streamer (i.e. Raspberry Pi, etc).

Likewise an external DAC is outside the PS and bus environment of the Aries mini renderer, limiting electrical interaction to the USB/coax connection. The outputs of the Aries mini when used with external DAC are very good subject to the limitations of the Aries mini renderer hardware

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Streaming allows you to electrically isolate your digital file source from the renderer hardware by using a network file server... its cheaper than what it costs to bullet proof that data transmission inside a combo file server/music renderer. It's a basic benefit regardless of how cheap the streamer (i.e. Raspberry Pi, etc).

Likewise an external DAC is outside the PS and bus environment of the Aries mini renderer, limiting electrical interaction to the USB/coax connection. The outputs of the Aries mini when used with external DAC are very good subject to the limitations of the Aries mini renderer hardware

Thanks, I'm aware of the benefits of a DAC but didn't realize that digital signal was subject to that much variation between a server and streamer. So from your signature it appears you don't use the Aries Mini. Do you find the Micro Rendu to be much superior to the Mini?

Thanks, I'm aware of the benefits of a DAC but didn't realize that digital signal was subject to that much variation between a server and streamer. So from your signature it appears you don't use the Aries Mini. Do you find the Micro Rendu to be much superior to the Mini?

The answer would be "depends"

I'm happy with the change from Aries mini to microRendu. Sounds that mumbled in the background with Aries mini are now clear with microRendu. But on a less sensitive system you might not hear the difference in low level detail resolution. I'd say the microRendu is appropriate to a fully developed system whereas the Aries mini will offer better flexibility for building a new system.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I'm thinking about upgrading the rca interconnects that came with the Aries Mini. Nothing outrageous. Maybe something like the Morrow Audio MA2. Will changing these interconnects be an upgrade or waste of cash? Thoughts.

Are people successfully using HQPlayer to send music to the Aries Mini? I've read you set it up as UPNP and it may work. Maybe via backend = NAA. To do this I think I need different USB cables, as it doesn't have the square input one, just the rectangular one. Until I get a flagship-type DAC, I want to play with the high-DSD upsampling process with the Aries Mini.

Also, assuming we can drive it properly, the whole point of the DSD256 (or 512 if possible) is that the DAC itself will then do nothing internally. For the Aries Mini, if I send it DSD256 it still goes to a higher rate, or no? I don't want to send it *over* the rate it uses internally. I read one place that the chip itself is 40-100 MHz at 6 bits, but you can't just multiply that out to compare. Some say the 6 bits are there for precision after math is applied to the one bit, and others say lots and lots of other things and everyone ends up getting lost.

Basically the question is out of these, what is the closest to the internal rate/format: 32/192, 32/356, DSD128, DSD256.

btw, I did decide (there is info about wanting to do this much earlier in the thread) that the Aries Mini with linear power supply is better than Oppo105d dac, even when Oppo is fed from Mini. That said, HQPlayer feeding the Oppo 105d DSD128 then is much better, and that is why I want to try and send HQPlayer DSD256 to the Aries Mini.

People talk about the Aries non-mini's as sounding better in part because of the chassis.

Has anyone tried putting a 10 lb weight on top of the mini or something like that? What exactly about the non-mini's, is it shielding or stiffness, etc. I don't know if case resonance is meaningful or not, but in the 90's lots of us put moderate weights on some equipment and some thought they did better. Trying to think of a sub-$50 way to get some of the difference back from the chassis difference between mini and non-mini versions.

I'm thinking about upgrading the rca interconnects that came with the Aries Mini. Nothing outrageous. Maybe something like the Morrow Audio MA2. Will changing these interconnects be an upgrade or waste of cash? Thoughts.

If you're asking if the Aries Mini has sufficient quality to benefit from better-quality interconnects - then yes, definitely!

Beyond that, it becomes a "which cable" discussion, and you can find those ad nauseum on this and other forums!

If you're asking if the Aries Mini has sufficient quality to benefit from better-quality interconnects - then yes, definitely!

Beyond that, it becomes a "which cable" discussion, and you can find those ad nauseum on this and other forums!

Thanks. You said it better than I did.

Welcome to CA!

Good luck!

I got mine today. I've to say that I'm impressed with the sound quality out of the box. It's definitely better, as you point out, than the Benchmark just by itself, which by yesterdays standards is quite amazing. It's better than I expected for a all in one unit. I have the brooklyn coming so it should be even better.

[ATTACH]28221[/ATTACH]

With a cheap Anker power bank which is stated to give out 12V it works just perfect!

Very happy. :)

Very good to know that it runs on 12v as well! I have run my Aries Mini through a 14,8v/6A/12000 mAh Li-ion battery pack for a week now. Fully charge it is about 16,8v and it takes many hours for it to reach 15v running without 5v USB power and just with Tidal as source through LithningDS. I cannot see that I will ever come close to 12v. The sound improvement compared to the supplied SPMS is simply not comparable. Big improvement with battery in my book.

Very good to know that it runs on 12v as well! I have run my Aries Mini through a 14,8v/6A/12000 mAh Li-ion battery pack for a week now. Fully charge it is about 16,8v and it takes many hours for it to reach 15v running without 5v USB power and just with Tidal as source through LithningDS. I cannot see that I will ever come close to 12v. The sound improvement compared to the supplied SPMS is simply not comparable. Big improvement with battery in my book.

Here is a picture of my battery pack! :)

1470325874326.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app