IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

I briefly listened to some internet radio and it sounded like better (larger) sound staging but it may have been clean power lines or my imagination. I will have to investigate further but it definitely sounded better than I remembered hearing before

Are you using an external DAC?

Creek Evolution 100A / Schiit Gungnir Multibit / Squeezebox Touch with Teddy Pardo PSU / Marantz SA8005 / B&W CM8

@Cebolla Sorry, but BubbleDS Next works flawlessly with Tidal. BubbleDS Next support Tidal Streaming and Aries Mini supports OpenHome. That is enough to make it work.
No, a renderer supporting OpenHome streaming does not follow that it also supports OpenHome Streaming Services (for Tidal & Qobuz). This is optional for OpenHome renderers:

http://wiki.openhome.org/wiki/OhMediaDevelopers#Streaming_Services

However, it is possible the Aries's firmware has been recently updated to support and use OpenHome Streaming Services, instead of its old proprietary mechanism, to access Tidal & Qobuz. It certainly was not the case a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I cannot varify this as I do not have access to an Aries.

Are you certain you are using your Aries in Lightning mode with the BubbleDS Next app to stream from Tidal or have you actually created an OpenHome renderer (with the BubbleUPnP Server software on a computer or NAS) for the Aries in uPnP mode and using that BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer with the BubbleDS Next app to stream from Tidal?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

BubbleDS Next is developed for a audio only purpose. If you have no intensions to use the Mini for other purposes than audio I suggest you give it a try. It sounds better than Kazoo IMO.
Not sure why using a different controller app would make any difference as far as the sound quality is concerned. The controller app should only instructing the renderer which music files the renderer should stream from the UPnP media server, so the controller should not be actually handling that music file data!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

No, a renderer supporting OpenHome streaming does not follow that it also supports OpenHome Streaming Services (for Tidal & Qobuz). This is optional for OpenHome renderers:

http://wiki.openhome.org/wiki/OhMediaDevelopers#Streaming_Services

However, it is possible the Aries's firmware has been recently updated to support and use OpenHome Streaming Services, instead of its old proprietary mechanism, to access Tidal & Qobuz. It certainly was not the case a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I cannot varify this as I do not have access to an Aries.

Are you certain you are using your Aries in Lightning mode with the BubbleDS Next app to stream from Tidal or have you actually created an OpenHome renderer (with the BubbleUPnP Server software on a computer or NAS) for the Aries in uPnP mode and using that BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer with the BubbleDS Next app to stream from Tidal?

Hi Cebolla! I have read a lot of your posts and you have much better knowledge than me regarding Upnp/Dnla. No doubt! However, I know for sure Tidal is working in Aries Lighthing mode. I use the Mini without a server or hard drive installed. Just Mini>BubbleDS Next>Tidal and it works like a charm. I am planning to get a Qnap with BubbleUPNP server in the near future...but right now I am running Mini with Tidal straight out with BubbleDS Next on my Nexus 7 gen2.

Fair enough. It is possible that the Aries's firmware has been recently updated to support OpenHome Streaming Services. Are you getting Tidal access with the Linn Kazoo app and the Aries too?

BTW, is your plan to use the BubbleUPnP Server on a QNAP for providing UPnP help to devices other than the Aries?

-- Jo Cox

Cebolla and Cornan, thanks for the response. Before I used a Pioneer N-30 streamer that does Airplay and Qobuz flawlessly with Bubbleupnp and minimserver. But the N-30 it doesn't do gapless when using Bubbleupnp and I hope for better SQ with the Aries.

With the Aries I haven't tried Bubbleupnp OpenHome server yet. With choosing between 3 apps and 2 modes (upnp and lightning) its difficult to get a good start. I have got a Job INTegrated amp with internal dac. I seek to combine: Qobuz, Airplay (for my wife), Minimstreamer on a NAS (for me) and Android as controlpoint. This weekend I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

Fair enough. It is possible that the Aries's firmware has been recently updated to support OpenHome Streaming Services. Are you getting Tidal access with the Linn Kazoo app and the Aries too?

BTW, is your plan to use the BubbleUPnP Server on a QNAP for providing UPnP help to devices other than the Aries?

Yes, both Kazoo and Lighthing DS (v 3.3) works with Tidal via Aries Lighthing mode.

My plan with BubbleDS Server on Qnap is first of all versatility. To be able to use what ever control point possible (for example PC with Jplay/Fidelizer Pro/AO/Process Lasso...and maybe Roon IF possible...or the coming Foobar2000 mobile...or?). Second reason is to be able to put the music server away from my audio rig for better SQ.

Cebolla and Cornan, thanks for the response. Before I used a Pioneer N-30 streamer that does Airplay and Qobuz flawlessly with Bubbleupnp and minimserver. But the N-30 it doesn't do gapless when using Bubbleupnp and I hope for better SQ with the Aries.

With the Aries I haven't tried Bubbleupnp OpenHome server yet. With choosing between 3 apps and 2 modes (upnp and lightning) its difficult to get a good start. I have got a Job INTegrated amp with internal dac. I seek to combine: Qobuz, Airplay (for my wife), Minimstreamer on a NAS (for me) and Android as controlpoint. This weekend I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

You are welcome jaaptina! Good luck with your setup! Do tell US what worked for you in the end so others with same issues can find answers on this thread later on! :)

How do you "cut the 5V on the Mini?"

Sounds intriguing.

You start by making sure that your DAC is self powered and not requires USB power. Then you buy one of this https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator. The Vbus2 cuts the power on your existing USB cable and reduces the capasitive coupling along the lenght of the USB cable. If everything works including handshake/hello you will enjoy a big jump in SQ. Good luck! :)

Next step will probably be a pure 3-wire USB cable without 5v power. Personally I will never ever buy a DAC that is USB powered or requires handshake/hello ever again.

If you are using the built in DAC this is not a tweak for you..

I use the Mini without a server or hard drive installed. Just Mini>BubbleDS Next>Tidal and it works like a charm.

Hai Cornan,

I have tried BubbleDS Next again. I assume Qobuz works excactly like Tidal. What library do you select? I've got several (see picture) but only in "Local Media Server" I can select Cloud/Qobuz. I have acces to my Qobuz account but the tracks won't start.

2016-04-23 09.49.01.png

If I select LightningServer[Aries] its emty and it doesn't show cloud server services.

IMG_0127.PNG

IMG_0128.PNG

When a track won't start I get the above error message on an iPad.

Don't ask why I don't switch to iPhone or iPad for remote control of the Aries. The iPad is the family iPad and thus always in use. The iPhone is my work phone. I don't want to see work e-mails gathering when I listen to my music :-)

Hello Cebolla,

I installed Bubbleupnp server on the NAS. But it doesn't recognise the Aries in Lightning mode (see picture). I could switch to uPnP mode but than I lose Airplay. I will give it a try later this weekend.

160423 prtscreen001.jpg

160423 prtscreen002.jpg

Greetings,

Jaap

I installed Bubbleupnp server on the NAS. But it doesn't recognise the Aries in Lightning mode (see picture). I could switch to uPnP mode but than I lose Airplay. I will give it a try later this weekend.

To my astonishment also with the Aries in uPnP mode I can't create an OpenHome renderer. I get the same error message:

160423 prtscreen003.jpg

Hi Jaap!

I assume Tidal and Qobuz works the same as well. Just select Aries as Linn DS and choose Cloud/Qobuz. Make sure to add Qobuz account details in BubbleDS Next under Settings/Local Media player.

If you cannot find Aries under lighthing I assume that you did'nt set it up with the same wifi that you are using. If you have both 2,4 & 5G make sure to choose 5G during the setup and when you are playing music.

You start by making sure that your DAC is self powered and not requires USB power. Then you buy one of this https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator. The Vbus2 cuts the power on your existing USB cable and reduces the capasitive coupling along the lenght of the USB cable. If everything works including handshake/hello you will enjoy a big jump in SQ. Good luck! :)

Next step will probably be a pure 3-wire USB cable without 5v power. Personally I will never ever buy a DAC that is USB powered or requires handshake/hello ever again.

If you are using the built in DAC this is not a tweak for you..

Ah very interesting! It would be interesting to try.

I do not know if the Codex required the 5V present. I'll have to investigate.

Hi Jaap!

Just select Aries as Linn DS and choose Cloud/Qobuz. Make sure to add Qobuz account details in BubbleDS Next under Settings/Local Media player.

If you cannot find Aries under lighthing I assume that you did'nt set it up with the same wifi that you are using. If you have both 2,4 & 5G make sure to choose 5G during the setup and when you are playing music.

I selected Linn DS and found Cloud/Qobuz. Still no luck though. I can select tracks but they won't play. However if I select a 'purchased' song it does play. Thinking it could be something with the account. I logged out on all devices and logged in with Bubble DS Next. Still only the 'purchased' songs do play. Damm.

Going to do a fresh installation of the Aries on 5G as you suggest.

Have you done this that I posted earlier?

Be sure to click on the settings(cog wheel)/Lighthing Device/Aries to set it up as you want to use it. Cannot see that you did on your pics.

Plus added the Qobuz account details in BubbleDS Next?

Anyone have any luck getting the

Mini to work as a upnp renderer using the upnp plug in for the Logitech Media Server? I much prefer the LMS control ecosystem to Lightning DS. I've tried this many times now and can't get the mini to appear in either ipeng or orange squeeze.

Thanks

Qobuz streaming problem with Bubbleupnp/BubbleDS Next and Aries Mini in Lightning mode:

I can stream and play purchased tracks but no other tracks. I can select other tracks but they won't start playing. After trying all that was suggested above still no luck.

So now I'm on a Tidal trial account. No problems with streaming with Tidal. So it seems to be a Qobuz/Bubble issue.

Let you know if I get this solved.

Greetings

Hi Jaap! R

Just remember that I read something about Qobuz having changed to Amazon cloud and Bubble had an update for this. Make sure to update all Bubble products and maybe check if you should select Amazon cloud when playing Qobuz stream? Could be worth a try.

Qobuz streaming problem with Bubbleupnp/BubbleDS Next and Aries Mini in Lightning mode:

I can stream and play purchased tracks but no other tracks. I can select other tracks but they won't start playing. Seems to be a Qobuz/Bubble issue.

Solved!

On XDA/BubbleUpnp I found an old post stating the problem was Bubbleupnp asking for flac files while I have a cheaper mp3 account. Bubbleguuum advised me to use Aries in uPnP mode and Bubble UPnP Server on the NAS. I tried that to get Bubble UPnP Server running OpenHome before but without succes. Now I tought to restart Bubble UPnP Server after changing the Aries to uPnP mode. That dit it. After restarting Bubble UPnP Server I could activate Aries UPnP as OpenHome server. With Aries UPnP OpenHome as renderer I could finaly play Qobuz mp3 tracks. Hurray!!

Thank you all (and Bubbluguuum) for helping.

2016-04-24 15.44.05.png

@jaaptina You are welcome! Thanks for sharing the solution. :) I am glad you got it working. Nice of Bubbleguuum himself (the developer of the Bubble products) to help you with your issue. He seems to be a very helpful guy! :)